Revelation 3:14-22

“And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s creation. “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. -Revelation 3:14-22

Does anyone else struggle against lukewarmness in their own life? I’m having trouble with it.

Yes I struggle. But its necessary to recognize it and stay spiritually active. I think most people have those low times in their spiritual lives. I have added listening to Christian music and no other music, and that has truly helped me. I love doing projects related to providing Bible resources and that has helped me stay out of the gutter as much as possible. Just never forget that our God loves us beyond words and he never gives up on us and he is always there whenever we come to him.

I can have periods of it too (don’t we all at some point?) and I find the key to this is to push through it, even increase daily devotions if possible. It can help you get back on track but sometimes God intends for us to suffer with lengthy bouts of the “blahs”. Just like it builds your leg muscles to walk uphill for lengthy stretches of time (rather than downhill for example), so it builds our “spiritual muscles” when we can continue on and push forward during dry or lukewarm spiritual times.

We are very spoiled in this day and age (at least most of us). We have access to daily mass, go to Confession regularly, Perpetual Adoration most days…but what happens if & when the Church grows smaller and smaller, parishes close down as the faith dwindles or if the Church is under persecution in our life time and we can’t get to the Sacraments as frequently or have holy priests at our beck and call?

We need to get strong now while we can and pushing through dry periods is one way this is accomplished.

But I know, this is all easier said than done when you’re in the midst of the blahs!

I think there is actually a large percentage of lukewarm people within the church, as sad as it is, many are just too wrapped up in living a secular life.

I know plenty of good catholic people, they go to mass each week, give money to alot of different causes, help others, and otherwise live a pretty good moral life, but at the same time, many of these same people will not be going out trying to fight off evil things in our society, they may talk the talk, but when it comes to action, most are too concerned about being arrested, and/or any action that may effect the rest of their life.

BTW, Im referring mainly to abortion here and what christians should be doing to fight this evil, but the same idea could be said about a number of immoral things going on in our world today.

I have a feeling God would prefer us to fight abortion (and other immoralities) more aggressively, and not be scared to take it to another level. I think God would (in this case) condone SOME violence, if it meant the end to legalized murder. Many times in the OT, God instructed the people to go out and kill others for sometimes very trivial things, and actually held them responsible if they DID NOT obey him in this regard.

I think alot of people are going to find they should not have been so worried about their jobs, houses, income, etc. I am no different either! I try to live a good life and keep to morals, but I would not be willing to do something that may get me arrested, even if it would help a known good. I fear I will have to answer for my inaction eventually. but what can I say…Oh, but Lord, I was too worried about being arrested, then loosing my job because I would be in jail and not able to my job, etc. somehow I dont think this excuse will fly with God.

Thanks so much!

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.