Revelation 8:11

I got into a discussion with a co-worker about this yesterday, and when I got home I searched about it online, was pretty amazing,

**Revelation 8:11
The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many people died from the water, because it had been made bitter.

Many think the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown was this coming to fruition, not to mention, in Ukrainian, the name Chernobyl translates literally to wormwood, it also fulfills the 1/3 portion, if you search the death figures, the amount of land destroyed, it all equals out.

Surprisingly, it also fulfills the portion about the sky being darkened by smoke for 3 days, fulfills the portion about ‘locusts’ with breastplates of iron, faces of men, they showed pictures of the certain type of helicopters used during this event, if you looked at them from the front, they resembled faces of men (kind of like how a car has a face), they also ‘stung’ like a scorpion.

Seems like a whole lot of coincidences.

Well if the verses above (1st and 2nd trumpets) are considered, then it really doesn’t fit since a 3rd of the of everything in the sea died and a 3rd of the ships perished, 3rd of earth was burnt. This (OP on 8:11) being the 3rd trumpet and the prior sequence of events has not happened literally, then its highly unlikely Chernobyl has anything to do with the 3rd seal. These trumpets, if they were to be taken literally, would be much more catastrophic than Chernobyl, even though Chernobyl was bad (but could have been much worse). Personally I find myself taking a more traditional Catholic approach and favor a slightly more spiritual interpretation of the symbolic and metaphoric language of the book.

I recently read that wildlife is flourishing at Chernobyl. Rules out any idea of it being related to events in the book of Revelations.

I suggest you purchase the Ignatius Press Study of Revelation.
amazon.com/First-Second-Third-Letters-Revelation/dp/1586174703/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444497492&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=igniatius+study+bible+Revelation

The book of Revelation is not a timeline of current events.

Thanks mikekle for the heads-up,
it says in the gospels that Jesus
told his disciples: “When you see
these things [fulfilled] be on guard,
for [The Day of the Lord] is right
at the door” Matt. 24:44 etc.

“These things” does not refer to the book of Revelations - it hadn’t yet been written. Jesus also said he would come as a thief in the night - no warning at all.

Chernobyl is way inland, so has no relation to shipwrecks and sea life dying, as described in Rev.

Our attempts to fit events within our life to the book of Revelation is bound to fail. There is no reason why it’s fulfillment should not occupy generations, or even millenniums.

ICXC NIKA

I agree.

People who speak Russian generally say the name of the nuclear plant is a compound word meaning “black grass” anyway; Chernobyl is named after an herb growing nearby, which is so dark purple that it can appear black from a distance.

The plant is sometimes called “common wormwood” in the United States, but that’s emphatically not what the Russian word means. The plant doesn’t show up in bible history, doesn’t have anything to do with water, and isn’t noted for being either bitter or toxic.

It’s just common mugwort, AKA chernobyl Чернобыльник (chernobylnik)
Artemisia vulgaris.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_vulgaris

Even if we include the O.T. as reference material; the plant at Chernobyl is not a plant that was ever known to be called wormwood in biblical times. The plants from the bible known to be translated “wormwood” are Artemisia nilotica, Artemisia Judaica, Artimisia fructicosa, Artimisia cinerea, and Atrtimisia apsinthium.

The plant actually specified in Revelation (in Greek) is: Ἄψινθος APsinThos.
The word indicates something “undrinkable.”
I would expect Revelation is specifically talking about Artemisia absinthium.
(In Russian, Полынь. pronounced something like: Polnyn not at all like chernobyl)

The herb mentioned in Revelation, Apsinthos, is both very bitter and seeps into water. The plant is so psychoactive it is even used to make synthetic marijuana
And too much of it will kill a person.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_absinthium

However, Artemisia Apsinthos is not found at the Chernobyl nuclear site.

So, basically, someone just noted that an herb goes by a common (uneducated) name “wormwood” in English, and tried to say a Russian word meant wormwood because of an English nickname; (which is doesn’t…English and Russian etymologies are unrelated)

The whole idea is just a very loose word association…

I wish there was a “Like” button on the forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I may help out?

“The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many people died from the water, because it had been made bitter.”

Water is H2O so WaterS is H2OS. A third becomes Wormwood: the third element is O for oxygen. Wormwood has three Os. We get H2SO4: sulphuric acid. If you look at the molecular structure it is star shaped. Sulphuric acid is used in water treatment to adjust the pH. This verse would suggest that there is going to be an accident and too much sulphuric acid is going to end up in the water supply somewhere. Either that or the amount in the water already is actually affecting people’s health and we don’t know about it.

There will be a news item about it at some point. This also gives a reference point for the Revelation prophecies. It’s not been that long since we’ve been using sulphuric acid in water treatment and I’m sure they’ll come up with better ways to address the pH that aren’t so risky.

Lamb,

“Wormwood” is an English word. Are there three O’s in the original language?

The original word in Greek is αρτεμισία - Absinthe which is thujone C10 H16 O. Oxygen in Greek is οξυγόνο which has three Os. Prophecies are language neutral. It doesn’t matter what the language is, the prophecy always works. Occasionally you have to go back to Hebrew and Greek for numbers which are also letters, especially when unknown words are used in translation. An example is “Gopherwood” which in Hebrew is 3 PE 4 or PI (3.14). English is the best language for contemporary prophecies because it has evolved with the times and is most widely spoken. Prophecies are designed to evolve too, so while you can use old, dead languages if you’re so inclined, there really isn’t the need.

Greek is hardly a dead language…

But how many people speak Greek? 0.002% of the world’s population. It might as well be dead for the use it is.

Sulphuric acid in the river article from towards the end of last month: News article
It’s causing cancer and blindness, but I suspect it’s not limited to that.
Could this be it?

I don’t know where you are getting those figures from but somewhere around 15 million people at least speak Greek in some form on a regular basis, it might not be up there with English, Spanish, Urdu etc but you need to move the 2 back several places to the left in your original estimate.

I suggest the following two treatments of the Apocalyspe. These two together will give you an accurate understanding of this great, awesome book of promise and hope. If you are thinking in terms of “End Times” and “Rapture”, etc, you have it all wrong.

This first test is available free online as a pdf format. Read it. It is by a Protestant author…who is cited by Scott Hahn as an excellent source.

The Days of Vengeance by David Chilton

The other great source is Scott Hahn’s “The End” I know it can be bought as a 12 CD set. I am not sure if it is in book form or not. It is well worth getting and listening to as you read your way through is awesome last book of the NT.

There’s also Japanese mugwort (Artemisia princeps) which is commonly used as a dark green food coloring and flavor for Japanese foods. (It tastes green, mostly.)

European mugwort was also used as a flavoring agent and medicinal herb.

Actual wormwood/absinthe is a pretty common herb in Europe. It grows places where not much else grows. Before the monastery of Clairvaux (Light Valley) was founded, the valley where they built it was known as the Valley of Wormwood (Vaux d’ Absinthe, or something like that), because there was tons of the stuff growing there.

Yes, yomogi. It’s also used for moxibustion.

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.