Revelations 7 trumpets

I was doing some reading online and came across a reference to various places where people hear what they think are trumpets or horns coming from apparently nowhere, I watched about 5 videos from different areas of the world where people have reported this and they do sound eerie, but I tend to think they are mechanical and likely trains are the culprit, as their screeching can be spread out and even amplified over distances.

But it got me wondering about the bibles trumpets and if these 7 will actually be trumpet sounds coming from the sky or…? Will everyone hear them at the same time, What will they sound like, just a trumpet blast or some kind of melody/ tune, played?

Im also curious if people will recognize them AS being the real trumpets from God when they do blow, or will they try to make a logical explanation so people do not get scared? At first I assumed if anything remarkable followed the blasts, that would determine what people believed, but Im not sure if things will start right away when God blows the trumpet or slowly get going over course of years or even decades.

Well, if we’re going by a literalistic interpretation here, I should have expected stars, hail with fire and blood, and flaming mountains to fall from the sky.

No one knows what most of Revelation means. Pretty much educated speculation.

You may look at previous occurences of trumpets in scripture. Remember when Joshua had the trumpet blown the walls of Jericho fell.

Hi, Mike!
Scriptural passages do not demonstrate that the world is aware of the events that are unraveling. So the sound of the trumpets would be more as a military signal to denote the period/time for the beginning of each event that takes place.

Maran atha!

Angel

Ver. 7. The first Angel sounded, &c. From this place to the eleventh verse of chapter xx. the visions are differently expounded. Some interpret them, without applying them to any particular events, as general comminations, in a mystical and allegorical sense of the many persecutions which God permits to happen to his Church. Others think that they are all predictions, which shall not happen till a little time before the end of the world, in antichrist’s time, after which will follow the day of the general judgment, the punishment of the wicked, and the reward of the just. But there are others, both ancient and later writers, as in particular Alcazar, the bishop of Meaux (Bossuet,) Pere Alleman, to whom we may add among the Protestants, Dr. Hammond, whom the bishop of Meaux calls the most learned of all the English Protestants. According to the interpretations which these writers have followed, these predictions of St. John (except the last persecution, when the devil shall be let loose, Chap. xx. 7, in the time of the great antichrist) have already happened in the three first ages[centuries], during the persecutions of the heathen emperors, as I shall briefly take notice. Hail therefore, and fire, blood, falling of stars, &c. some look upon as mystical representations, to signify that a great many trials and persecutions shall happen to the good, and a great many punishments and chastisements shall fall upon the wicked; with this grand difference, that the sufferings of the good shall be short and momentary, and their reward a crown of endless glory; but the wicked, if any of them escape punishments in this world, can never escape eternal torments with the devils in the next.

1. It is also a very common opinion, that all these disasters shall happen in a great measure, literally about antichrist’s time, a very short time before the end of the world.
  1. Others apply all these events to the judgments which God’s justice exercised either upon the Jews, in the time of Trajan and Adrian, or upon the heathen Roman emperors, and upon the pagan city of Rome, for persecuting the servants of God. (Witham) — As these Angels with their trumpets, according to Pastorini, denote the sufferings of the Church during the seven ages that it lasts, it may not be improper to point out the time, according to his opinion, when each Angel sounded the trumpet. Thus the first trumpet denotes the persecutions of the first three centuries, in which the Christians suffered death by the sword, (denoted by blood) by being stoned, (denoted by the hail) and by fire, when the third part of the trees were burnt, that is, the third part of the clergy were destroyed. (Pastorini)

Things like this get multiple fulfilments.

It’s likely some people won’t notice or understand (including some in the Church).

The Church will get judged first.

That is pretty scary.

I sometimes wonder if more is not happening all around us, but we are just become oblivious to it all.

I do pretty much believe though, if the biblical ‘trumpets’ did sound and most people heard them, the media, scientists, govt, etc would make sure they had some ‘ready made’ natural explanation set to keep everyone calm, (kinda like planetary background noise, or some equally goofy term), as to avoid mass panic, even if they truly had no idea what the source of this trumpet blast was.

I mean, if they went on live tv and told people they had no idea what they were, all kinds of theories would get thrown around and people would begin to panic, anarchy sets in, etc. If you ever notice, whenever something even slightly mysterious happens, they are quick to calm people down using scientists, big words and make sure to mention harmless and naturally occurring in their explanation. lol

The seven trumpets like the, seven golden lampstands, seven stars, seven angels, seven golden bowls, seven hills and so on are only symbolic dramatization of events that occurred in the first century in and around Asia Minor

Hi, Mike!
Here’s what Jesus Taught:

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, do I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid. (St. John 14:27)

Everything that’s bound to happen will–however, the Call is to trust in Jesus, to abide in Jesus, to obey Jesus, for in Jesus we are secured:

28 And fear ye not them that kill the body, and are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him that can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and not one of them shall fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear not therefore: better are you than many sparrows. 32 Every one therefore that shall confess me before men, I will also confess him before my Father who is in heaven. 33 But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven. (St. Matthew 10:28-33)

…I concur with you, society will (and has) deny any and all signs that point to God since God Calls us to holiness; which is in complete opposition to the things which society values (lasciviousness, greed, power, contemptuousness, apathy, egocentrism, hatred, envy…). Furthermore, by removing God from the minds of people the masses are easier to control and fool (pantheism or fatalism are introduced as the true theo = everything is permissible and man can do not wrong).

However, the actual events will not be suppressed/hidden indefinitely. Regardless of the case, though, it is our personal relationship with Christ that will determine how the events that unfold will affect us.

The Peace of Christ be with you!

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi!
…actually, not!

Apocalyptic prophecy is not revelation of what took place but of what will take place. True, there are symbols within symbols and mirroring of events… but one cannot give a blanket statement as to the Vision being of only what has already transpired since much of the narrative speak of end of world events.

Maran atha!

Angel

Yes, I do think as we get closer to the second coming, there will be a big effort by the secular powers to either disguise or deceive the people as to things that are happening in the world, in fact I sort of think this already has been going on for some time, Im just not sure to what degree.

ONe good example was back in ancient times, it was common for majority of people to blame demons for many things, which today, we understand to be medical, naturally occurring, etc. The more I think about this, I think they may have been right about a lot of them and we are being deceived into believing what our ‘modern experts’ tell us is correct today, however this does not necessarily apply to everything, although its tough to know for sure either way!

I mean, think about it, would our media and powers that be, EVER go on live TV and tell the people something was a real act or sign from God…of course not!

It is amazing though if the media continually air an expert giving what they call a rational explanation for something mysterious, majority of viewers WILL believe what they hear and will think nothing more about it…That alone could deceive millions of people.

…well, yeah… there are many things taking place… and while there are genuine discoveries (science, medical, technological) everything is attributed with a pertinent bias to the “don’t worry, be happy” philosophy–as though thinking that the more that we claim as “enlightenment/knowledge/discovery” the more we can “contain God.”

We have the various health issues that have been created through the abuse of nature and chemical manipulation–even now everyone refuses to accept that postpartum depression did not exist till our recent history or that the various cancers that affect only females are almost unknown in “third world” nations where there hasn’t been an abuse (or intensive abuse) of chemicals (contraceptive, “preventive,” genetic, etc.). Then there are the climate changes, deforestation and pollution… we continue to abuse and contaminate the planet while simultaneously refusing to take responsibility for the damage we are causing…

When we take everything into account, we can see that Jesus’ prophecies about the changes to come and the Apocalyptic prophecies in Revelation are indeed unfolding and being abetted by both our callousness (indifference) and the downplaying (redirecting) of the meaning of the unfolding events.

Maran atha!

Angel

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.