Reverance for First Class Relic

Hi

I hope this is the correct forum for this. If not, please move it for me!:smiley:

I am a convert to Catholicism and still have much to learn. A friend of mine, who is a fallen-away Catholic gave me a relic of St. Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton.

It has a certificate from the Postulator in Rome from August of 1993. It is a piece of her body. Sealed in a amall case. It can be worn on a necklace. It’s been in a cardboard box since it was given to my friend’s mother. I assume as a gift.

I don’t know anything about this kind of thing. Should I wear it? I’m afraid I’ll lose it. Do I just keep it in a box? Do I carry it with me?

I guess what I want to know, is there anything special I should be doing?

Thanks

[quote=jebojora]Hi

I hope this is the correct forum for this. If not, please move it for me!:smiley:

I am a convert to Catholicism and still have much to learn. A friend of mine, who is a fallen-away Catholic gave me a relic of St. Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton.

It has a certificate from the Postulator in Rome from August of 1993. It is a piece of her body. Sealed in a amall case. It can be worn on a necklace. It’s been in a cardboard box since it was given to my friend’s mother. I assume as a gift.

I don’t know anything about this kind of thing. Should I wear it? I’m afraid I’ll lose it. Do I just keep it in a box? Do I carry it with me?

I guess what I want to know, is there anything special I should be doing?

Thanks
[/quote]

You have what most Catholics never have the opportunity to hold and fewer and fewer even have the opportunity to see. Take great care of it. You can wear it as you would a medal. I would have a jeweler secure it to a chain so that it can’t be lost. You can place it in a protective frame and hang it on a wall as you would a picture. I would also suggest reading about her and framing a picture and bio about her to hang with the relic if you hang it. Carefully share it with those who may have never seen a first class relic before. Ask her to pray for you daily and also remember to pray for her.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]You have what most Catholics never have the opportunity to hold and fewer and fewer even have the opportunity to see. Take great care of it. You can wear it as you would a medal. I would have a jeweler secure it to a chain so that it can’t be lost. You can place it in a protective frame and hang it on a wall as you would a picture. I would also suggest reading about her and framing a picture and bio about her to hang with the relic if you hang it. Carefully share it with those who may have never seen a first class relic before. Ask her to pray for you daily and also remember to pray for her.
[/quote]

Thank you for the information and the wonderful suggestions. I will definitely treat this with great respect and reverance.

:blessyou:

Dear jebojora,

I have for myself, various first class relics of saints and blessed.

I also agree that many do not have access to these first class relics.

So your job is to bring it to those who do not have it.

NOTE: on the necklace suggestion, no… it may damage the glass or the metal… thecas or the capsule that holds them are very sensitive to conditions.

And do not forget to keep the certificate.

Neil (kiapokspika.blogspot.com)

Also, you should never, ever sell a relic. You can give it away in all sorts of ways, but never sell it.

In fact not only first class relics are given this type of reverence, also second and third class relics are treated as so.

Only when we view E-bay in Italian,French or in any language, there is obviously hundreds of first,second and third class relics.

I also wish to ask: Is there any member who has any class of relic. If so, please tell.

:neil (kiapokspika.blogspot.com)

I have a 2 class relic of Pope John Paul II.

Then, if possible,frame it, I have also lots of that, so I keep them in boxes, and that preserves the relic and the card as you venerate or so to speak cherish the relic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.