Reverence fo God

Why is it that catholics have a holy reverence for God and baptists have a, more along the lines of “a part of the family” reverence?:ehh:

As a former Baptist, I can offer my 2 cents worth. Durning Mass, Catholics believe they are in the actual real presence of Christ through the Eucharist. That is part of what I attribute the reverence to at Mass. When Baptist go to church, they go to hear the preacher. They believe Christ is present only in at the spiritual level. “Where two or more are gathered in my name, there I will be also.” They view it a time of fellowship with other Christians. They are in that fellowship mode through most of the service. I’m sure there’s more to it than that, but that’s at least a partial answer.

I don’t think I even buy your premise–unless you mean that they don’t act as if the Blessed Sacrament is in their church because it is not. Whatever might be said about the Baptists, I wouldn’t level lack of reverence as a charge against the denomination.

[quote=BLB_Oregon]I don’t think I even buy your premise–unless you mean that they don’t act as if the Blessed Sacrament is in their church because it is not. Whatever might be said about the Baptists, I wouldn’t level lack of reverence as a charge against the denomination.
[/quote]

I’ve now officially been Catholic since Memorial Day weekend. Over the six previous months, when I was researching Catholicism and attending Mass, the reverence was one of the things I commented to my parents about. I mentioned it to a Methodist firend of mine, and she said one of her pastors feels basically the same way (about Mass being more reverent than protestant churches in general). It’s not a knock against Baptist, it’s just the way they view church. If you’re going somewhere primarily for fellowship, you’re going to be in a different state of mind than someone attending Mass. Again I say, this is not a shot at Baptist. Both of my parents are Sunday school teachers in a Baptist church.

[quote=Steve M]I’ve now officially been Catholic since Memorial Day weekend. Over the six previous months, when I was researching Catholicism and attending Mass, the reverence was one of the things I commented to my parents about…
[/quote]

Ah, yes… if you mean in church. But how can you compare a church which is a gathering place and one in which the Blessed Sacrament resides? Even if both are sacred spaces, the two are so very different.

One of the most reverent persons I have ever met–and I mean with regards to his whole demeanor at all times–was a Baptist. He simply lived in the Presence of God, and believe it or not, he taught in a Catholic high school. He was undoubtedly a remarkable man, but on his account, I just won’t believe that reverence is not a virtue taught by the Baptists.

Nevertheless, the virtue of reverence is well-taught by practicing appropriate respect for sacramentals such as rosaries, and of course the Real Presence commands a reverent attitude in Catholic churches. I won’t argue with that.

As a Baptist convert to the Church, I always searched for a physical direction for reverence during the Sunday service and that was torward the front of the church. But there were problems because there were TV monitiors, Choirs, plants, and other items that just made reverence a forced issue.

In the Catholic church reverence is automatic when the understanding of the real presence is appreciated.

And I agree with previous posts that the Sunday service is a big social “fellowship” event with the greetings and Sunday school emphasising the one big christian family concept. This really introduces a casual atmosphere.

I love the personal introspective time spent before and after mass and prefer it to the social hour in the Baptist church service.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.