Reverent, orthodox benedictine communities

Hello!

I am looking for pointers or information for reverend, orthodox even traditional benedictine communities for me who will accept older applicants as I am 49. I have no debts or health problems so no impediments. so many traditional communities do not accept older applicants. i dont care if its “active” or “contemplative” but it needs to be faithful to the magisterium. any ideas?

Do a search for Benedictine Order and you will come up with what you are looking for I hope. They do have Oblates aswell for men who want to live in the community. Local to me, in England there is a Benedictine Monestary that men and women can become members off regardless of their age and health and financial situations etc because they are called Companions. They are not so tied as Oblates are. I did try looking but I need my own prayer to be as simple as possible and found it too much though would have loved to have gone through it I think. I could become a friend of the Monestary instead but I don’t know as really have only discovered my way with God this year and still enjoying this way though have been so for 25 years or so. I just wanted that extra belonging. I also looked at the Third Order and again I had typed that in search. But between the two whilst the Monestary is slightly harder to get to, if I did go any route I personally prefer the Benedictine order and choose Companion or even friend off. There is a place for everyone, the literature says so. I sadly, ran away next day or as good as ran away in that I sneaked back home as was too much for me. Luckily I an understanding priest who I can talk things through with him so I know what personally happend for me and yes I get that tug but also that tug for freedom with God too having only just found this style this year.

I hope it goes well for you and I would suggest just putting in Benedictine Order in the search engine and various monestaries etc may come up for you. Also speak with your priest who be hopefully, happy to help guide you through and you may discover that actually he could be an Oblate with the Benedictine Order - ours is. And if he is he will be able to really help guide you through that stages. Its about three years to become an Oblate and the same if you are thinking of permiment residence as a Monk. There could be a Monestary not that far from you and you can go and stay there and find out more of their lives etc. Again do a search on the the web and ask your Priest.

God Bless You

Have you thought about Farnborough Abbey, which is also in England? I think they’d take older applicants if you spoke to them.

In Ireland, there’s Glenstal Abbey. Again I’m not too sure.

I don’t know about the US, but a quick look on www.osb.org might help.

When asking about “orthodox” communities I would point you to the sticky thread found in this sub-forum.

Orthodox Orders REMINDER

Wherein it states that all religious institutes that are in communion with the Church are by definition orthodox.

As for “reverent” that is a subjective item and it is best that you visit various communities to see if they are a fit for you.

As for traditional, I am assuming that you are using the rather limited definition of “traditional” as is used on this forum meaning a preference for the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.

For religious “traditional” can have a much larger meaning, such as are they faithful in the following of their rule, the vision of their founder/s (that is if they have a founder), their constitutions and/or statues.

*Trilor…

I am looking for pointers or information for reverend, orthodox even traditional benedictine communities for me who will accept older applicants as I am 49. I have no debts or health problems so no impediments. so many traditional communities do not accept older applicants. i dont care if its “active” or “contemplative” but it needs to be faithful to the magisterium. any ideas?

Wherein it states that all religious institutes that are in communion with the Church are by definition orthodox.

As for “reverent” that is a subjective item and it is best that you visit various communities to see if they are a fit for you.

As for traditional, I am assuming that you are using the rather limited definition of “traditional” as is used on this forum meaning a preference for the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.

For religious “traditional” can have a much larger meaning, such as are they faithful in the following of their rule, the vision of their founder/s (that is if they have a founder), their constitutions and/or statues.

*Trilor,
I can only second what Friar David has said. There are many fine Benedictine communities in the states. ( I know and have visited two wonderful communities on the West coast and know many fine men who are members of those communities) I would encourage you to visit different ones as a commitment to a community means a commitment to that location. A Benedictine priest who is a kind, spirit filled man true to his community shared with me recently that when he was discerning his vocation ,he visited a half dozen communities before his selection. This makes sense as you have to find a community who fits with your needs and vice versa. (Similar to what I as a Poor Clare had to do in finding the “right” monastery and community for me.

I would definitely look at the Benedictine website and begin looking…
Blessings… Sr. Debbie, OSC*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.