Reversing Tubal Ligation

Does anyone know if there are any organizations that help with the cost of reversing a tubal ligation? I know a young couple who have come to the truth and want to undo a bad decision, but the reversal would not be covered by insurance.

In case they don’t know this, they are not morally obligated to reverse the tubal. They can confess the sin and move on without reversal.

Unless of course they want more kids.

to : Flying Fish
Is your answer a Catholic answer?
regarding existing tubal ligation before faith is not considered “in motal sin”

because you’ve catagorized yourself as ex-catholic !

[quote="etude, post:3, topic:194001"]
to : Flying Fish
Is your answer a Catholic answer?

regarding existing tubal ligation before faith is not considered "in motal sin"

because you've catagorized yourself as ex-catholic !

[/quote]

It's a Catholic answer I've seen many times on this forum. I may not be Catholic anymore, but I used to be a good Catholic who thoroughly studied the faith.

People are not obligated to reverse vasectomies or tubals after they confess them.

Having had a tubal when you weren't Catholic and didn't know it was wrong/sincerely believed it was a good thing probably would mean it wasn't a mortal sin, but later when you become Catholic you can still repent and confess it. Either way, whether it was a mortal sin or not, the Church would not require you to reverse it.

(Though of course you may want to if you want more children.)

[quote="flyingfish, post:4, topic:194001"]
It's a Catholic answer I've seen many times on this forum. I may not be Catholic anymore, but I used to be a good Catholic who thoroughly studied the faith.

People are not obligated to reverse vasectomies or tubals after they confess them.

Having had a tubal when you weren't Catholic and didn't know it was wrong/sincerely believed it was a good thing probably would mean it wasn't a mortal sin, but later when you become Catholic you can still repent and confess it. Either way, whether it was a mortal sin or not, the Church would not require you to reverse it.

(Though of course you may want to if you want more children.)

[/quote]

Some Catholics have them reversed even if they do not plan to have more children any time soon. They do so out of reparation and to restore their marital relations to their natural fullness. They are not required to do so as you said.

Or as my friend said “so I can be whole again”.

[quote="Seatuck, post:5, topic:194001"]
Some Catholics have them reversed even if they do not plan to have more children any time soon. They do so out of reparation and to restore their marital relations to their natural fullness. They are not required to do so as you said.

[/quote]

Although if they don't want more children, they should really think twice about reversing a tubal. As far as I know reversing a tubal is a complicated surgery that carries with it all the risks of surgery (it's not a simple procedure like a vasectomy).

They have to ask themselves if it's worth the risk to have surgery if they don't want more kids anyway, and if the Church doesn't require it.

They do want more children. They have two boys and have come to the understanding of what a blessing their children are in their lives. The reversal is expensive and, yes, complicated. They may have to wait a few years to reverse–lesson learned the hard way.

**Here is a site where you can click on 'sterilization reversals for women' (or for men) and see a list of doctors that provide such services.

onemoresoul.com/nfp-providers

My DH heard on a Christopher West talk that some docs do them for a very little fee as penance on earth. :shrug: Not sure how'd you find that out tho....**

[quote="kage_ar, post:6, topic:194001"]
Or as my friend said "so I can be whole again".

[/quote]

Yes, body and soul.

Remember Catholics should never say they are done or they don’t “want” more kids. They only say we are not able to have a child right now perhaps in the future if things change. God’s will is also a factor in bearing children.

Yes, they should weigh the risks and so on. As has been noted the church does not insist upon it.

The website listed is an excellent one. You can also have her call the nearest Pro-life OB/GYN office and ask if they can recommend someone. This is how we found the dr. who performed my DH's reversal a couple of years ago. Many of these dr.s will do reversals for as low a fee as they can. Tubal reversals (female) are a bit more complicated so I can only give you our experience. The urologist who reversed my DH only charged us a minimal fee for his service...it wasn't bad. The biggest expense came from anesthesia...that was the bulk of it. The urologist didn't really have control over that but did get a price ahead of time so we knew what costs were involved (so anesthesia didn't tack on additional expenses). The dr. took care of all of this for us. Once we knew what it would cost (tubal reversals are higher BTW) we somehow found the means to pay for it.
When we made the decision to reverse (which is not required) it wasn't to have more children (we have four already). But we are open to life.

Have they considered adoption at all? If they have and it fell through then that is one thing. But personally I think they should consider that option before risking a major and expensive operation. They could spend the few years that they might have to wait to to do the reversal in the first place looking into adoption.

[quote="Appealing_Woman, post:8, topic:194001"]
. . . . They have two boys . . . .s. The reversal is expensive and, yes, complicated. . . . .

[/quote]

TWO YOUNG CHILDREN ALREADY - that right there raises a moral quandary; Doesn't a mothers responsibilities to care for and be around for her two young children far outweigh the extreme risks she would be taking to 'make herself whole' when it is not necessary or required ? To the point of being unmoral to take that risk?

[quote="spirit4life, post:14, topic:194001"]
TWO YOUNG CHILDREN ALREADY - that right there raises a moral quandary; Doesn't a mothers responsibilities to care for and be around for her two young children far outweigh the extreme risks she would be taking to 'make herself whole' when it is not necessary or required ? To the point of being unmoral to take that risk?

[/quote]

Extreme risks? I don't think I would describe the risks associated with this procedure that way.

Surgery is risky. You can have complications from the anesthesia, you can have infections post surgery. Many things can go wrong. Doctors can make mistakes, nurses can make mistakes (many deaths are attributed to mistakes made by medical professionals).

Reversal of a tubal ligation constitutes major surgery. Major surgery is not to be taken lightly when one has children to care for, especially elective major surgery. What totally amazes me is narcissistic self-absorption over the holiness and whole--i-ness of one's personal plumbing and one's openness or desire for more children when there are already other children to be cared for!..... as though blood clots and strokes and adhesions and peritonitis and infection and drug reactions and MRSA could only happen to other children's mothers....
not to mention future possible complications of pregnancy from 2 layers of scar tissue through the abdominal wall.

[quote="former_Catholic, post:17, topic:194001"]
Reversal of a tubal ligation constitutes major surgery. Major surgery is not to be taken lightly when one has children to care for, especially elective major surgery. What totally amazes me is narcissistic self-absorption over the holiness and whole--i-ness of one's personal plumbing and one's openness or desire for more children when there are already other children to be cared for!..... as though blood clots and strokes and adhesions and peritonitis and infection and drug reactions and MRSA could only happen to other children's mothers....
not to mention future possible complications of pregnancy from 2 layers of scar tissue through the abdominal wall.

[/quote]

What bothers me is that you refer to the power that God gave us to CO_CREATE another human being and image our marriages like the trinity to merely "personal plumbing".

[quote="agapewolf, post:18, topic:194001"]
What bothers me is that you refer to the power that God gave us to CO_CREATE another human being and image our marriages like the trinity to merely "personal plumbing".

[/quote]

:sad_yes: Another thing that has not been mentioned is that if a woman keeps her tubal in place, there ARE also risks involved. I know of women who have had to have full hysterectomies later in life due to problems down the road (years later) that stemmed from the tubal (extremely heavy periods w/ hemorhagging that had to lead to removing all female parts) :shrug: There is info on the CCL site (and brochures I've found in churches) documenting this. I found the brochures after the people I knew had to have hysterectomies.:o Bottomline, there are risks w/ keeping the tubal in place as well!!

[quote="former_Catholic, post:17, topic:194001"]

[/quote]

Prayers that you will come back to Christ and understand His love for married couples.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.