Reverting to Protestantism

Just a random thought:

Does anyone know of someone who converted to Catholicism and then later left the Church and reverted back to their original denomination/religion?

Just wondering cause there seems to be a lot of information on converts and reverts to Catholicism, but I can’t find anything on converts deciding to revert from Catholicism.

that would be very interesting actually
anyone?

I once met a woman who converted to Catholicism and left to go to a protestant seminary. She was disgusted with the fact that she needed to get an annulment for her first marraige in order to remarry. Her position was that the church was interfering with her personal business.

She wouldn’t even entertain listening to the reasons.

Subrosa

I know of one… She converted because of marriage

I almost did as well … or at least I had doubts….when I went to RCIA and was told that Muslims go to heaven because they pray

My interest in Catholicism was started by EWTN

Sadly, a lady that I went through RCIA with in 2004 left the church after two years. She no longer attends any church, including her 3 children, one who I sponsored for Confirmation.:frowning:

Another example was our former Youth Coordinator. She had “personality” differences with the parish council and returned to her baptist roots. Sad about her story, is her cradle Catholic husband left also.

Well, I’ve heard that a large percentage of converts do drop. I pray that all converts stay strong. ( I, personally, can’t imagine going through all we converts have to go through, recieving the Jesus in the Eucharist and then giving up the Eucharist)

Well, I’m a life long Christian and a Catholic convert. However, if something happened (and I can’t think of what) caused me to leave Catholicism I doubt I’d go anywhere. Maybe Orthodoxy? I don’t know but really once I saw what the Catholic Church was and is I just don’t think there could be a replacement.

I have not met anyone personally.

I have not heard about anyone until this thread popped up.

Personally, I have witnessed to much in-fighting over doctrine and interpretations in my time as a Protestant.

I could never go back to that.

Amen! If I were to revert, I would be betraying Jesus. Something I could never do. :thumbsup:

In Pax Christi
Andrew

I agree with you rtconstant. I wouldn’t go anywhere except maybe orthodox. There is no protestant church that compares to the Catholic Church, in my opinion, so there would be no point in even looking.

I think a lot depends on 1) how strong of a non-Catholic they were (someone who is a faithful baptist who strongly disagrees with the Catholic Church but ultimately converts is going to be less likely to revert than a nominal baptist) 2) how strong of an education they received in the Catholic Church. I was received into the Church 4 years ago at the campus center at Texas A&M, which is a strong center of faith, but I can imagine that those received into the Church at other parishes I’ve been to, especially those without a fulltime staff, will be less likely to remain Catholic

This is an interesting thread. Converting to Catholic is a long process. It would seem that there is enough time to really think things through. As an RCIA attendee I do find this thread interesting because for me it was hard to leave my former faith even though I do want to be Catholic. Hopefully I won’t be a revert.

One of my friends was a convert to Catholicism because her then-husband was Catholic. Unfortunately, her husband became abusive and unstable, and when she left the marriage, she left the faith. She now attends a baptist church with her new husband. In this case, I don’t think it was the Church that made her leave - it was the people she knew who was associated with it. :frowning:

My husband was raised an evangelical, but joined the Catholic Church before we got married. My mother’s and father’s families are both very devout Catholics. My husband never believed the Catholic teachings on Mary, purgatory, indulgences, etc., so joining the Catholic Church was done only to please my family.

After my husband and I had been married for 15 years, we both experienced a genuine conversion through faith in Jesus Christ. We left the Catholic Church at that time and have attended a Baptist Church ever since.

My sister converted with me and though she does not attend Mass on a regular basis, she is still very much a Catholic. She just needs to work on her Mass attendance, which she is slowly getting better at. For me, I could never see going back to Protestantism. It’d be like forcing my eyes shut, again. I cringe at the thought of separating myself from the Chair of St. Peter and from the Church founded by Jesus Christ.

My unchurched mama always said “once a Catholic, always a Catholic”. I grew up as a Protestant and converted around the age of 45. My faith was nurtured in the Episcopal Church and that’s where conversion to Catholicism occurred. Now 14 years later, I cannot forsee the possibility of ever going back. Orthodoxy would not be an option either, since, unlike the Catholic Church, there seems to be little opportunity for women to participate. Most of the people who I have observed joining the Church since I did, are still members.

I was raised a Methodist and became Catholic through marriage. My faith at this time was shallow. I could have easily left the Catholic church at this time and gone anywhere or nowhere. I had a hard time understanding why so many different Christian denominations. I was led to the Catechism through a conversation with a protestant friend. I read it cover-to-cover. Then I read the NT and some of the early church fathers. My faith is now much deeper because I understand the faith of the Catholic church and its foundation. I will never leave the Catholic church. Looking at how the leaders of the protestant churches are responding the evils in society today where would one go?

The authority of the church is my compase through life. To pick up a compase that points wherever anyone wants it go wont do for me. The authority of the church is anchored on the cross of Jesus and His love for us all.

Over 20 years as a pastor, I’ve had several Cathoic converts join my tradition. I do some extra catchesis with such folks, to be sure this is what they want to do and with conviction.

Because I’m currently in RCIA I can see reasons why people may convert and later leave. If you don’t recieve good education while in RCIA or your instructors do not actually teach Catholicism you may have difficulties later, especially if they change parishes and their new parish is much more conservative then the one they went through RCIA in. Another reason I can see people reverting would be if they only converted to apease the future in-laws. Conversion must be done because it feels like it is the right thing to do. One cannot force one’s self to believe.

Your faith is in another Christ.

members.aol.com/uticacw/baptist/bibletruth.html

I haven’t viewed everything on that site, so I can’t say I necessarily endorse it all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.