Revised Liturgy of the Hours

Fratres,

I was wondering, since there will be a revised translation of the Mass come this Advent, will there eventually be a revised translation of the Breviary?

My understanding is that once the new translation of the Mass is bedded in, ICEL will begin to revise the breviary in accordance with Liturgiam Authenticum. I would imagine they will have to as many of the prayers used in the office are found taken from the Missal. Hopefully though It won’t take quite as long as the Missal did.

I know that they did a new translation of the Grail Psalter. I personally do not care for the translation and hope and pray that we keep using the old form of the Grail. Here’s a site that discusses the possibility of it extending to all liturgy.

It has not been officially announced whether this will be the official translation used in all settings.

giamusic.com/sacred_music/RGP/
printeryhouse.org/ProdPage.asp?Prod=G1634

Little One0307

Best practices would suggest 5 years to 20 years :D:eek::smiley:

I’m not in a hurry for a new edition. The cost to replace my four vols is beyond what I could ever hope to do and for out Community to replace all the single vols with a new edition would be a large financial burden. So I’m in favor of it taking a long time. :slight_smile:

Judging by past performance the longer period is probably still optimistic. :wink:

What is the Breviary and where can I find it?

Right now I have the Liturgy of the Hours on my iPhone. Is there a latin one as well? Is there one for the OF and one for the EF or is it all the same?

Yes, the wheels of Rome do move slowly haha.

The Breviary and the Liturgy of the Hours are essentially the same thing. Before Vatican II the Liturgy of the Hours was called the Divine Office (and this remains an alternative name to the Liturgy of the Hours). The Breviary was the name of the liturgical book that contained the Divine Office.

Originally the Divine Office was found in many different liturgical books. In the Middle Ages when the mendicant orders (e.g. Dominicans, Fransciscans, etc.) came into existence the friars needed a single book they could carry around which contained the Divine Office - and so the Breviary was created.

So, where can you find the Breviary? Aynwhere that sells Catholic liturgical books. In a way you already have it on your iPhone.

Yes, there is a Latin one. All Catholic liturgical books are originally published by the Holy See in Latin before they are translated into vernacular languages.

There are different OF and EF forms of the Breviary/Divine Office/Liturgy of the Hours.

Ah, that’s what I wanted to know. I have an audio version on my iPhone and I think it is the OF version.

If the audio version on your iPhone is in English you may be almost certain its the OF of the Roman Rite of the Liturgy of the Hours (Divine Office).

I think we may be mixing things up a bit. (I am only speaking of the US version here.)

The Liturgy of the Hours (Christian Prayer, Breviary — all the same) exist in only one current edition (that has a couple of different forms) and does NOT apply to the Ordinary and/or Extraordinary Usages of the Latin Rite.

The current US edition is the child of a transitional edition from the early 1970’s (71?) that was first translated and updated (reformed) for modern use into English from the Latin. The older editions mostly fell by the wayside. However, if one is not under an obligation to use the current edition, then really there is no problem for private use of the older forms (editions).

Latin is having quite the revival, but if the person has no skills to understand the words then there is little point, since it becomes an empty exercise.

Peace

see also the sticky thread above

link: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=544472

From what I understand, the Motu Proprio allows for the recitation of the 1960 version of the Divine Office if one prefers that to the current one. It’s done in Latin, is much longer, and the psalter is all inclusive. There’s also an extra hour of prayer that has since been abolished in the new version (Prime). “Morning Prayer” is equivalent to Lauds, then would come Prime, then Terce (Mid-Morning Prayer), then Sext (Mid-Day Prayer), None (Afternoon Prayer), followed by Vespers and Compline. “The Office of Readings” (Matins) is often prayed right before Lauds, or during the middle of the night if you’re able to wake up for it. I generally pray Matins & Lauds @ 5AM, Prime @ 6AM, Terce @ 9AM, Sext @ 12PM, None @ 3PM, Vespers between 6PM - 7:30PM and Compline before retiring.

If you’re looking for one you can use on your iPhone, I’d suggest divinumofficium.com Click on “Cellphone”, then add the page to your homepage. It will make a new icon (appearing as an app) and will automatically go to the correct day, you’ll just have to select the appropriate hour. English is provided to the right. After a while you won’t need the English for the Ordo and will only glance at it from time to time while praying the Psalms. Oh and be sure to thank the Catholic Answers Forum user “Laszlo”. He’s the one who created that site! :slight_smile:

Kevin 812 I’m really not sure what you’re saying. When you say Latin Rite do you mean Roman Rite? I’m sure it’d be the Roman Rite you’d have in US.

The Latin Rite is the Roman Rite and same way around. It’s a habit of mine to default and say Latin Rite, since some, and I believe incorrectly, assumes that anything entitled “Roman” is an insult. :shrug:

I believe you are mistaken.

From Summorum Pontificum;
Art. 9. § 3 Clerics ordained “in sacris constitutis” may use the Roman Breviary promulgated by Bl. John XXIII in 1962.

Universae Ecclesiae, I believe, allows the secular clergy to chose the older Latin form of the Office (Liturgy of the Hours). This does not immediately, if ever impact the Religious Orders since they have a different process on these matters. The average lay person is free do use which ever edition and/or language that they may chose from. As to the abolishment of the hour of Prime, I am unsure how this would effect the average person (this is an area that doesn’t concern me.)

I recommend this thread on Universae Ecclesiae, which answers some of these questions and more: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=561520

Sorry I am not able to rattle of exact details on these matters. I personally don’t worry much about these things.

Peace

I would still contend that there is not an EF and a separate OF form of the Hours. Universae Ecclesiae has clarified any questions in regards to the 1962 to the secular clergy.

The Hours is something that stands outside of the Mass, regardless of form.

Thanks, I think I understand what you are saying now.

While I agree with you here, that the laity are free to pray whatever version of the Hours they wish (unless they are bound under a secular third order rule) I would add the stipulation that they can not claim to be praying the Liturgy of the Hours (which is the prayer of the Church) if they are not using the approved texts for their area.

So a person in the United States who is using the texts for the UK or using Universalis can not truly be said to be praying with the Church in the Liturgy of the Hours. But that is my nit to pick I guess.

Thank you in your help to clarify my posts!!

I also agree that to pray the Liturgy of the Hours means exactly as you have said above.

Peace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.