Revised Order of the Mass with Scriptural Annotations

This is awesome! God bless Bishop Serratelli and the rest of the USCCB Committee for Divine Worship!

There is now a PDF of the revised Order of the Mass with Scriptural annotations! This is the sort of thing I find tremendously valuable for liturgical catechesis.

Thank you for posting this. It is something that I have been waiting for.

Same here! :thumbsup:

Japhy, I printed out the revised order of the Mass, and read it through. It is wonderful, a great improvement over what we have now. I just have a couple of questions. Is the acclamation “Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again” gone? I know that it is not in the original Latin, but I thought that at least some of the US bishops wanted to keep it anyway. How about the Eucharistic Prayers for Reconciliation? I read that the permission to use the Eucharistic Prayers for Masses with Children has been withdrawn, but I hadn’t heard anything about the Prayers for Reconciliation. I have only heard one of them used once, and never in our diocese. Thanks for the help.

And people have the nerve to say the Mass “isn’t Biblical!” :rolleyes:

I have not heard anything concrete on the matter. I, for one, would be happy to see it go, for a handful of reasons:
[LIST]
*]It’s not normative (meaning, as you said, it’s not in the Latin text).
*]It’s in the third-person (“Christ”, not “you”) which is inappropriate given the Lord’s Real Presence on the altar.
*]It’s exclusive of the worshiping community (we don’t say “us” or “we” unlike the other acclamations).
[/LIST]

My pastor uses the Eucharistic Prayers for Reconciliation during Advent and Lent (being penitential seasons). Their exclusion from the study text may simply be because they haven’t been translated yet. The Eucharistic Prayers for Children might continue to exist in the U.S. apart from the Roman Missal; the statement of Bishop Serratelli on that issue was unclear to me.

The Eucharistic Prayers for Reconciliation do have some laudable phrases – I’m thinking of lines like “before he stretched out his arms between heaven and earth in the everlasting sign of your covenant” – but I think Eucharistic Prayer IV does a fine job of dealing with salvation history to the point of those two E.P.s being a bit unnecessary.

(Honestly, I hear E.P. II too often and E.P. I too rarely. I think E.P.s I, III, and IV are plenty.)

The EPs for Children will exist in a separate book. This was mentioned by Msgr. Sherman, secretary of the BCDW, at the last FDLC meeting.

AWESOME! **

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.