Rewards in Heaven?

What do Catholics believe we get in heaven, do we believe we are rewarded by the works we did in heaven by crowns (gotquestions.org/heavenly-crowns.html) or not, please dont make fun of me.

I’m not sure how theologically correct this is, but it has always been my opinion that those who have done more in their lives will receive more. What that reward is, I don’t know. Just getting to Heaven would be reward enough:)

Gotquestions.org is not Catholic. I would not pay attention to anything that site says. They teach much error.

The crowns are literary metaphors, that’s all.

-Tim-

Heaven is the ultimate reward. Nothing can top it.

Thanks, I was using that site a lot, I will stop now :blush:

We believe in Justification, which is the baptism that Jesus said was necessary for a man to be born again into his kingdom (Jn 3).

Then we believe in sanctification, whereby a person grows in the grace/life of God thruout a person’s life. This growth of sanctity will be the reward the person has in the next world with Jesus. The degree of sanctity of a person is the measure of laying up treasure in heaven that Jesus spoke about.

I would advise avoiding sites like gotquestions, CARM, pretty much anything to do with Jack Chick, and Bible.ca. These sites do not portray an accurate representation of Catholicism.

I was always taught through a similar of bottles. In this life we grow in Christ and thus in heaven all of us are like bottles, some large through works of corporal charity, some small such as myself like a sample bottle. However in heaven all are filled to the brim with the love of God. However due to the size some hold more than others, however we are all fulfilled to our capacity. I believe crowns are a metaphor just as the bottles are a way of understanding what we cannot yet understand… the joy of being with God finally fulfilling our being in its Creator. Hope this helps.

It is not in my nature to make fun of anyone.

The essential happiness of Heaven is the beatific vision, which Saint Thomas Aquinas writes about in the Summa Theologica, the Supplement, in Question 92
newadvent.org/summa/5092.htm

He goes on to describe more on the state of the blessed in Questions 93-96.
newadvent.org/summa/5.htm

Aquinas articulates the different “crowns” in his treatment on the aureole in question 96.
newadvent.org/summa/5096.htm

I think you might find Aquinas more useful reading on this subject than the website you are asking about.

I’ve always thought that I Corinthians chapter 3:12-15, which talks about personal judgement, speaks about some kind of reward. What it is, though, I don’t know.

“Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.”

Like everyone else has said, though, God Himself is our reward.

Well, to put it simply (since I’m a simple person and not a theologian):

Our reward in heaven is a share in the Beatific Vision.

Our share of the Beatific Vision is dependent on how much we love God.

Loving God is dependent on what could be loosely called “works,” such as doing things for Him on earth out of love, spending time with Him in prayer, living a Sacramental life, etc.

So yes, the more we love God, the more we are filled with Him, the more, therefore, our reward.

Heaven is goodness
Hell is not.

There is an old saying “better to rule in hell than serve in heaven” but would you rather be chief of a starving 3rd world tribe? Or avg middle class american? Assuming a hierarchy in heaven, I imagine the elders in Revelation represent the “more reward” while many are not them. But I am sure it is still beyond wonderful.

Someone once told me-and this makes eminent sense-that for humans to try to comprehend what Heaven is like, is a bit like expecting a mosquito larva to know what it is like to fly.

I would go with Father Ruggero’s advice on Aquinas and the notion of the Beatific Vision.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.