Rex Tillerson of ExxonMobil Expected to Be Named Trump's Secretary of State: Sources

Donald Trump is expected to nominate ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson as his secretary of state, two sources close to the transition process told NBC News on Saturday.

The 64-year-old veteran oil executive has no government or diplomatic experience. The pick would put to rest weeks-long speculation of who would earn the post as the U.S.'s top diplomat, and would place Tillerson fourth in line to the presidency.

nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/rex-tillerson-exxon-mobil-expected-be-named-trump-s-secretary-n694371

This is is still a bit surprising.

Donald Trump has a tendency to put out feelers to different groups to solicit opinions. John McCain was the first republican to bring up some concerns to this potential pick.

Giuliani stepped back, yet again, found opportunity to make sharp comments against Romney being selected.

Regardless of whom he selects, Trump may have push back from all corners with this position.

Considering Tillerson’s close ties with Putin who conferred upon him Russia’s Order of Friendship in 2013, and the reports coming from the CIA that the Russian government tried to influence the US election in Trump’s favor through it’s hacking activities, I would think that the confirmation of Tillerson as Secretary of State would run into problems in the Senate. Even some Senate Republicans such as John McCain and Lindsey Graham have expressed their reservations.

Elections have consequences which these two Senators would be the first to tell you.

Elections might have consequences, but that doesn’t mean that everyone in Congress, including some Republican members of the Senate, are going to roll over and do whatever Mr. Trump wants.

I guess nowadays governmental and diplomatic experience for the position of SOS is optional. We live in a topsy-turvy world in which only money talks.

This is exactly why the establishment and the left lost this election.

First of all, the reports for hacking are unsubstantiated and really are more about liberals trying to find an excuse for losing because it couldn’t possibly be them or the lack of truth and facts in their message.

By the way the left talks about Russia, it sounds like they did want a war with them after all. And how would that go? Safe spacers versus ex KGB.

Secondly, the idea that Graham and McCain would oppose the grassroots of this country or Donald J. Trump is old news and the attempt to sell the idea of opposition as credible is a tad absurd. I guess next time we’ll have to defer to Jim Justice, Collin T. Peterson and Joe Manchin when discussing what the Democratic Party does.

Or maybe just the fact that “educated” and experienced elites running things hasn’t worked out since they’ve departed from reality.

It’s a lesson we are happy to show the folks in places like New York, Silicon Valley, LA and DC again in 2018 and 2020.:thumbsup:

Nor would anyone necessarily want them to. The idea behind our government is checks and balances.

No one knows for sure just yet if Trumps will run him or he will run them. I’d probably go with the latter, since that he did for a living for 50 years or so. But we shall see.

If Chuck Schumer wants to become the party of “NO” and political correctness, well, we’re happy to show him a map of 2018.

And I do have to say most every olive branch I’ve extended has been swatted away.

So really, what I incentive do I have to listen to the bitter and stubborn?

Oh, the hacking was real, all right. The content of the e-mails released proves that. The only question is attribution.

I wouldn’t count your chickens before they hatch. Four years and even two years is an eternity in politics during which Mr. Trump and the GOP can make a lot of mistakes and for which both could pay dearly.

For the sake of the country, let’s hope not.

So far it’s the losing parties who doubling and tripling down on their mistakes.

I guess it’s nice to see the left finally taking cyber-security seriously. Maybe if they had earlier this alleged “hacking” may not have happened…:wink:

Wonderful news! I just loved him in My Fair Lady.

If this really is Mr Trump’s choice, I think it’ll be good to have someone as Secretary of State who doesn’t still have a Cold War mentality.

:rotfl: That’s priceless!

Hacking goes back to the days of the TI-99A if not before. But only when they hacked government files was anything done about it.

There are some who would say a man who runs the world’s largest oil company has probably bribed scores of world leaders and could use that knowledge to keep them in line, but not me. Bribing people in other countries is illegal for US companies, even if that is the prevailing custom, and it is the custom especially for countries with nationalized oil companies.

This “pick” if true makes no sense to me at all. The man has no high level diplomatic experience, none whatsoever. The smart pick would be John Bolton, a conservative and a diplomat of the highest order.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.