RICA

Last year I started RICA classes and when asked why I made the choice to become Catholic I didn’t respond completely honest. I told them mostly because my husband wanted to find religion. I never grew up with religion or was made to feel like it would be ok to practice any religion. So when asked it was really hard to be honest because I couldn’t ever be honest with my family I even am scared to tell my husband. I have all ways for as long as I can remember wanted to be Catholic but felt I couldn’t be Catholic because I wasn’t born in to it. How do you explain someone that you never grew up in religion never read the bible or went to church but deep down knew you were born to be Catholic? To me it seems kind of nutty more so once you add the dreams in. After my daughter after meeting my wonderful husband I started dreaming of running in to a Catholic church and falling to my knees at the front of the Church and begging for forgiveness. Right around the time the dreams start my husband wanted to find religion and suggested the Catholic Church. I was more than happy with that and the dreams stopped. Well I have had to move and restarted RICA at another church but once again I have had to move again. I feel like I am getting signs I need to be there the dreams have started up back up since I am no longer going. I really want to finish RICA but I don’t know if I should start it over again since I know since I’m about to move to Germany and within the next year i’ll be moving again. Should I wait tell I’m going to be in one area for some good amount of time. Sorry for the ramble but I could use some advice. I want to be Catholic I really want my daughter to grow up in the Catholic Church because in the end this feels like the only right path for me and my family.

MrsTwyman,

Oh, I know exactly how you felt when they asked you why you wanted to become Catholic. When I became Catholic, I felt like I was without explanation that anyone would accept. I admit I stretched the truth a bit when I first spoke to the priest about becoming Catholic, in part because I didn’t know how to tell the truth about it.

In actual fact, I was called to the Church by God. But at the time, I didn’t have the experience to explain such a thing. I figured it wasn’t how I was supposed to explain it. I figured I was supposed to have a “real” reason. Anyway, I eventually regretted that I hadn’t been straight about it. But that is water under the bridge. Don’t worry. :slight_smile: Just tell them the truth about wanting to run into a Catholic Church! I"ve known other converts to have felt just the same way! You are not alone with that. Your heart will feel better if you tell them the truth. :love:

Also, I’d talk with whichever priest is now the priest in your local parish and explain to him how you will be moving and moving again, and ask him the best way to work it out for you to become Catholic. You don’t have to stay in the same parish after you get confirmed. It is okay to join the Church and then have to move to another parish right away. I did that, in fact, because I joined the Church while away at college. He will work out with you how you can complete a program of instruction. Just this past year in our RCIA program (I help with RCIA each year at my parish), we had someone who “transferred” into our program half-way through the year. They had already spent time in one program for half of the year, but then they moved, so they finished up in our parish. Don’t worry. They will figure out something for you that makes the most sense based on when you will be moving and how often, etc. Maybe they will have you wait until Germany, I don’t know. But go ask. :thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome to the Catholic Answers Forums!

#1 Don’t wait to begin RCIA, and stay with it even if you move. You don’t “start over,” you simply move and continue learning. Talk to the pastor at your new church, if you know you are moving perhaps your pastor can coordinate with the new pastor as to your progress towards readiness to be baptized if you aren’t able to be baptized before you move again.

#2 People of faith are unlikely to think that God calling you from the time you were young into the Catholic Church is “nutty.” Personally, I’d avoid any RCIA leader who did think it was nutty. Everyone who approaches RCIA has been called to faith-- all in different ways, but all called.

Don’t let logistics get in the way of completing your faith journey and baptism.

Dear Mrs Twyman. There are many, many people in this world… who have NOT been born into the Catholic faith… but have received an Invitation from God to convert. You are not alone, dear soul. The word “Catholic” means… Universal. In other words, the Catholic Church exists for ALL people on this earth. It does not belong, exclusively to those born into the faith (sometimes known as “Cradle Catholics”).

This is just my humble opinion… but from what you’ve written, it sounds to me like God has been calling you… or inviting you… for a long time, to become Catholic. To my mind, it doesn’t seem “nutty” at all, that you should want to investigate the Church… through RCIA classes. It sounds completely logical and sane. :slight_smile:

Again, this is just my humble opinion… but I would pose this question to you. Why wait? One of the most beautiful aspects of the Catholic Church IS that it is Universal. Whether you live in Germany, the United States or any other country… you will always feel “at home” in the Catholic Church. The Sacraments and the Mass are the same… anywhere you go in the world (except that it could be offered in the native tongue… the vernacular of whatever country you are in); but the Mass is the same.

I will keep you in my prayers, dear soul. Don’t be afraid. If God has been extending this invitation to you for such a long time… He will also guide you and help you. God bless.

Why do you need to explain it to someone? You know it and God knows it, and that’s all who need to know it. The people at the Church aren’t going to quiz you on “why” or if they do, just say, “It seems to me that God is calling me to this.” They will understand perfectly. :slight_smile:

To me it seems kind of nutty more so once you add the dreams in. After my daughter after meeting my wonderful husband I started dreaming of running in to a Catholic church and falling to my knees at the front of the Church and begging for forgiveness. Right around the time the dreams start my husband wanted to find religion and suggested the Catholic Church. I was more than happy with that and the dreams stopped. Well I have had to move and restarted RICA at another church but once again I have had to move again. I feel like I am getting signs I need to be there the dreams have started up back up since I am no longer going. I really want to finish RICA but I don’t know if I should start it over again since I know since I’m about to move to Germany and within the next year i’ll be moving again. Should I wait tell I’m going to be in one area for some good amount of time.

Get going now, and see where God takes you. If you have to start over again when you finally get settled, then you won’t have lost anything, but if you can have the time you spend now “count” towards your hours needed for Catechetical instruction, then you gain a great deal. So, go ahead with it, and see what happens next.

God is calling you, so God will make a way for you. :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say that I wouldn’t think you’re nutty for feeling like you need to be Catholic even though you weren’t born into it. I was raised Lutheran, so I did have faith, but 3 years ago I became Catholic (through RCIA)
And when asked why, I can just say that I just felt like it needed to happen. I mean, really I can’t describe it. Sure, there was some logical thinking to it, but deep down, it just felt (and feels) right.

I agree. The priest isn’t going to test you and the fact you want to be a Catholic is more than enough reason to join. It is about your relationship with God which is personal although we share the journey at RCIA. My husband attends RCIA and I’m a cradle Catholic but my husband hasn’t decided to convert. Again I would ask your priest or the person who runs your RCIA group whether or not you have to start the classes again or perhaps you can read up at home and enter the Church at a different time.

I think it is fun attending RCIA meetings. I attend because I always learn something new.

This past season we had one lady who was foreign born and had been studying the Bible in her country of Armenia. She was an advanced RCIA person and got confirmed this past month of May.

My advise is to say that you do have some experience in being in several RCIA meetings and want to continue even if you have to move again. I am sure that eventually you will be confirmed into the Catholic church.
The RCIA teacher will be able to tell when you are ready to be confirmed.

They notice if you are attending church on a regular bases. Plus, it is good to ask questions even if you think they are stupid questions. There are no such questions as stupid questions.
Please continue in your studies. A good part of attending is you will be meeting other people who also are attending your church and you can become church friends.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.