Richard Rohr's Divine Dance

Was thinking of giving this a read as i fancy a good book on the Trinity. Anyone here read it? I’ve not read any other of his books but know he is considered somewhat unorthodox by some. I’ve found little clips of his on YouTube that I’ve liked for their positive vibe, but also seen some interfaith discussions that he’s taken part in that I’ve very much enjoyed in total but have found his contributions to consist mainly in pointing out the failures of the Church which I found a bit wearisome after awhile.

I’ve read a few of his books. I found them very interesting. I might get the Divine Dance in the near future.

Wikipedia article on Fr. Richard Rohr:
" In a critique of Rohr, Fr. Bryce Sibley writes that Rohr asserts that God is neither male nor female, supports the mission of homosexual advocacy groups, asserts that the Crucifixion of Jesus was not necessary for the redemption of mankind, and criticizes Catholic rituals for a lack of efficacy."
catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=6819

One could argue that Fr. Rohr’s teaching is not any farther from Christianity than, say, Richard Dawkins, or Planned Parenthood. The difference is that Dawkins doesn’t wrap up his beliefs in Catholic language. Planned Parenthood defends “choice” for legal abortion rather stridently. They don’t put choice in a context of spiritual terminology, supposedly “Franciscan” concern, which overtly is prolife but gently nudges the reader towards the prochoice position. Decide which is more dangerous.

The problem with Fr. Rohr is not just that he dissents from the Church, but that he hardly ever dissents from “The World”, or the dominant doctrines of the mainstream media. Christians need teachers who can help us dissent from the secular culture, and he fails to do that.

Go to the Catholic Answers main website and programs to find out the problems with Fr. Rohr. Such has been repeated often there.

Therefore not something I would recommend you read.

Catholic Answers Priest -Apologist

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=12073470&highlight=Rohr#post12073470

I have not read it but here is one for ya:

The One Thing Is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything
by Michael E. Gaitley (Author)

Has recommendation from a Bishop etc…

Also from the Preacher to the Papal Household

Contemplating the Trinity: The Path to the Abundant Christian Life
by Raniero Cantalamessa OFM

The apologetics issue is – Can we defend certain Catholic teachings?

The Reverend Richard Rohr is not the only apple on the tree challenging Catholic doctrines especially the annoying ones which flow from the first three great chapters of Sacred Scripture. Those challenges are prominent on the worldwide internet.

Because of what I have read–and the seven minutes of a video which was turned off because I was insulted – it is obvious that Father Rohr wants us to rebuild Christianity from the bottom up. Therefore, before reading a book, my suggestion is that potential readers have sufficient understanding of the Catholic Church, especially the early years and the historic Scholastic Period.

When Catholic author, the Reverend Richard Rohr, makes fun of Original Sin (the fly in the ointment), I will not trust him to write accurately about Catholicism.

myemail.constantcontact.com/Richard-Rohr-s-Meditation–Original-Blessing.html?soid=1103098668616&aid=yAlpFk3eNPc

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.