Rick Santorum blamed his lack of charitable donations on his disabled child

Rick Santorum was on Fox News Sunday this morning with Chris Wallace. Chris Wallace questioned Rick Santorum on his lack of donations to charity:

On Fox News Sunday this morning, Chris Wallace challenged Rick Santorum on why he’s given such a small percentage of his salary to charity (1.76 percent) compared to Mitt Romney (13.8 percent) and President Obama (14.2 percent). Santorum explained that he was unable to give because the costs of caring for his daughter Bella — who has a severe genetic disorder — were so high because they are not covered by his insurance:

SANTORUM: Well, we always need to do better. I was in a situation where we have seven children and one disabled child who we take care of, and she’s very, very expensive. We love her and we cherish the opportunity to take care of her, but it’s an additional expense. We have to have around-the-clock care for her, and our insurance company doesn’t cover it so I have to cover it.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Rick Santorum blamed his lack of charitable donations on his disabled child - Wilmington Elections 2010 | Examiner.com examiner.com/elections-2010-in-wilmington/rick-santorum-blamed-his-lack-of-charitable-donations-on-his-disabled-child#ixzz1pF7Tti5Z

examiner.com/elections-2010-in-wilmington/rick-santorum-blamed-his-lack-of-charitable-donations-on-his-disabled-child

For those who consider public health insurance to be "statist", how are people supposed to cover expensive conditions if Santorum can't cover them on a million dollar salary?

did it say to whom he gives to? I would bet he doesn't give to planned parenthood or any organization that is contrary to church teaching!

The fact that insurance doesn't cover helping to care for his youngest child....are we sure that OBAMA CARE would be ANY BETTER? Would children with disabilities receive the care they need?

I would like to know whom he gives to....same for romney and obama.

[quote="jediliz, post:2, topic:277350"]
I would like to know whom he gives to....same for romney and obama.

[/quote]

Santorum gives to his own charity; Operation Good Neighbor.

Romney gives to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and, to his own charity, the Tyler Foundation. His foundation provides grants to the Center for the Treatment of Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis, the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the George W. Bush presidential library, and the Harvard Business School.

Obama gives to 36 different charities. Too many to list here.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:3, topic:277350"]
Santorum gives to his own charity; Operation Good Neighbor.

Romney gives to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and, to his own charity, the Tyler Foundation. His foundation provides grants to the Center for the Treatment of Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis, the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the George W. Bush presidential library, and the Harvard Business School.

[/quote]

Too many to list here. That's weak. How about a link? I have a hunch that list speaks for itself. Let's see how worthy of one that does "self-identify" as a Christian that list is.

I found Santorum's reason to be weak. His expenses are high, but so is his income.

The Affordable Health Care law also prohibits insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.

Here is how Santorum feels about that:
Santorum To Mother Of Cancer Survivor: Sick To Blame For Pre-Existing Conditions, Should Be Charged More

[quote="CatholicBoy1957, post:4, topic:277350"]
Too many to list here. That's weak. How about a link? I have a hunch that list speaks for itself. Let's see how worthy of one that does "self-identify" as a Christian that list is.

[/quote]

American Red Cross, Book Worm Angels, Boys And Girls Club, Bread For The City, Calvary Women's Shelter, CARE, Central Illinois Food Bank, Citizens United For Research In Epilepsy, Crusade of Mercy, DC Boys And Girls Club, Direct Relief International, Girl Scouts USA, Greater Chicago Food Depository, Greater New Orleans Foundation, Habitat For Humanity, Haiti Foundation Of Hope, Illinois Head Start Association, Illinois Reading Council, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Life Pieces To Masterpieces, Martin Luther King National Memorial Project, Midtown Educational Foundation, Miriam's Kitchen, Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit, Mujeres Latinas En Accion, National AIDS Fund, National Coalition For Homeless Veterans, National Congress of Black Women, National MS Society, 19th Street Baptist Church, Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, Rochelle Lee/Boundless Readers, Sidwell Friends School, St. John's Church, St. Leo's Residence For Veterans, The Christopher House, The Harmony Project, United Negro College Fund, Washington Humane Society, and the AVON Walk For Breast Cancer.

whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/president-obama-2010-complete-return.pdf

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:3, topic:277350"]

[/quote]

Guess I shouldn't do this then:

In 2010 the Obamas reported $245,075 in charitable donations.

$2,000 -- American Red Cross
$1,000 -- Book Worm Angels
$2,000 -- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Washington
$10,000 -- Boys and Girls Club of America
$1,000 -- Bread for the City
$2,000 -- Calvary Women's Shelter
$5,000 -- CARE
$2,000 -- Central Illinois Food Bank
$2,000 -- Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy
$1,000 -- Direct Relief International
$131,075 -- Fisher House Foundation, Inc.
$2,000 -- Greater Chicago Food Depository
$2,000 -- Greater New Orleans Foundation
$2,000 -- Habitat for Humanity
$2,000 -- Illinois Head Start Association
$2,000 -- Illinois Reading Council
$2,000 -- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
$5,000 -- Life Pieces to Masterpieces
$2,000 -- Martin Luther King National Memorial Project
$2,000 -- Midtown Educational Foundation
$2,000 -- Miriam's Kitchen
$5,000 -- Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit
$2,000 -- Mujeres Latinas en Accion
$5,000 -- National AIDS Fund
$5,000 -- National Coalition for Homeless Veterans
$1,000 -- National Congress of Black Women
$5,000 -- National MS Society
$5,000 -- Ovarian Cancer National Alliance
$2,000 -- Rochelle Lee Fund
$5,000 -- Sidwell Friends School
$2,000 -- St. Leo's Residence for Veterans
$2,000 -- The Christopher House
$15,000 -- The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund
$2,000 -- The Harmony Project
$2,000 -- University of Hawaii Foundation
$5,000 -- United Negro College Fund

yourlife.usatoday.com/mind-soul/doing-good/kindness/post/2011/04/obamas-donate-close-to-250k-to-36-charities-in-2010/166755/1

Uncharitable blog post, not a news article.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.