Rick Santorum Defends Truth and Stands up To Piers Morgan on CNN

When intelligent, well formed Catholics like Santorum give a Natural Law basis for defending truth, people like Piers Morgan dismiss them as “bigoted.” That is what he did in this interview. It was the equivalent of a frustrated child resorting to name calling. Well catechized faithful Catholic Christians - like Santorum - insist that there is a Natural Law, “present in the heart of each man and established by reason.” This law “is universal in its precepts and its authority extends to all men. It expresses the dignity of the person and determines the basis for his fundamental rights and duties.” (CCC# 1956)

catholic.org/politics/story.php?id=42647

Rick Santorum is running for President, and Piers Morgan questions him on his view of homosexuality. So predictable of the main stream media.

I predict he is the next one to drop out of the race. Most people are not listening to him and don’t want a “one issue” candidate.
I personally find him boring.

No wonder Piers has NO audience.

He was trying so hard to label Santorum as a bigot… it failed.

Pier, who?:shrug:

English twit.

I would vote for him for President in a heartbeat.

I hope he can break through; if not, VP:thumbsup:

Santorum needed to differentiate between SSA and the homosexual act. I find most cannot get that most basic point across.

Had he done so it changes the whole discussion.

Buffalo, it would not make a difference. The dark side will not acknowledge that SSA
is not a sin, but living the lifestyle is.

Morgan claimed he was Catholic. I do not think he knows the difference and it was a teachable moment opportunity for Santorum.

Interesting how this guy will go to his supporters and say how horrible gay marriage is, preach about what marriage really is, and how he is strongly against “homosexual acts” and then go on Piers Morgan’s show and start saying how his religious views will not be a factor in decision making. Come on Santorum, make one position and stick to it. It’s called ideological consistency

I agree

I didn’t get that - I got his argument was that government should not even be in the business of defining marriage.

One can argue homosexual acts are wrong from a few positions. When you argue it from other than a religious position you can score points.

I like a five issue candidate:

[THE FIVE NON-NEGOTIABLE ISSUES]("http://www.saviorquest.com/news1/catholicvoters.htm")
   These five issues are called non-negotiable because they concern     actions that are always morally wrong and must never be promoted by     the law. It is a serious sin to endorse or promote any of these     actions, and no candidate who really wants to advance the common good     will support any of the five non-negotiables.
   1. Abortion
   The Church teaches that, regarding a law permitting abortions, it is     "never licit to obey it, or to take part in a propaganda     campaign in favor of such a law, or to vote for it" (EV 73).     Abortion is the intentional and direct killing of an innocent human     being, and therefore it is a form of homicide.
   The child is always an innocent party, and no law may permit the     taking of his life. Even when a child is conceived through rape or     incest, the fault is not the child's, who should not suffer death for     others' sins.
   2. Euthanasia
   Often disguised by the name "mercy killing," euthanasia     also is a form of homicide. No one has a right to take his own life     (suicide), and no one has the right to take the life of any innocent person.
   In euthanasia, the ill or elderly are killed out of a misplaced sense     of compassion, but true compassion cannot include doing something     intrinsically evil to another person (cf. EV 73).
   3. Fetal Stem Cell Research
   Human embryos are human beings. "Respect for the dignity of the     human being excludes all experimental manipulation or exploitation of     the human embryo" (CRF 4b).
   Recent scientific advances show that any medical cure that might     arise from experimentation on fetal stem cells can be developed by     using adult stem cells instead. Adult stem cells can be obtained     without doing harm to the adults from whom they come. Thus there no     longer is a medical argument in favor of using fetal stem cells.
   4. Human Cloning
   "Attempts . . . for obtaining a human being without any     connection with sexuality through 'twin fission,' cloning, or     parthenogenesis are to be considered contrary to the moral law, since     they are in opposition to the dignity both of human procreation and     of the conjugal union" (RHL I:6).
   Human cloning also ends up being a form of homicide because the     "rejected" or "unsuccessful" clones are     destroyed, yet each clone is a human being.
   5. Homosexual "Marriage"
   True marriage is the union of one man and one woman. Legal     recognition of any other form of "marriage" undermines true     marriage, and legal recognition of homosexual unions actually does     homosexual persons a disfavor by encouraging them to persist in what     is an objectively immoral arrangement.
   "When legislation in favor of the recognition of homosexual     unions is proposed for the first time in a legislative assembly, the     Catholic lawmaker has a moral duty to express his opposition clearly     and publicly and to vote against it. To vote in favor of a law so     harmful to the common good is gravely immoral" (UHP 10).

But his whole campaign is just about opposing gay marriage

No its not. Where on earth did you get that?

He was just on tv yesterday discussing his jobs plan. He talks about lots of things other than gay marriage.

youtube.com/watch?v=UuphEMDJevk

Common sense

As soon as any moderator/interviewer understands his position on homosexual marriage they go right for it. They want to press their own agenda and try to expose the candidate as a bigoted homophobe so they can play it in their ad campaigns.

What?

He is on tv/ and events talking about lots of things all the time.

You haven’t been paying attention.

Why do you care, as a Canadian? I see you post in many American political threads, and just can’t understand why.

Serious question–I mean no disrespect:o

There are some Catholic legislators who have read the “Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition”.
Not only Santorum but also Ryan.

They also have read the US Constitution.
There is zero conflict between the CCC and the Constitution.

All should read the same.

PS: Homosexual acts are against the Natural law, and so is abortion.
You don’t have to be Catholic to know this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.