Rick Santorum drops out, Endorses Marco Rubio For President

npr.org/2016/02/03/465478327/rick-santorum-drops-out-endorses-marco-rubio-for-president?live=1

Here is the AP link msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rick-santorum-ends-bid-for-the-white-house-backs-rubio/ar-BBp5UBH?ocid=ansmsnnews11 **Rick Santorum ends bid for the White House, back Rubio
I’m disappointed that more people did not support Rick Santorum. But knowing that Santorum is endorsing Marco Rubio is good to know.

Glad the field is narrowing and glad he has made his endorsement of Rubio.

Why would Santorum endorse Rubio with Cruz in the race?

I wondered the same thing.

The word would be that Cruz has a reputation as a bit of a troublemaker in the Senate, of not being a team player.

I understand that former Senators Dole and Hatch came out for Trump for that same reason.

In fact, I am not sure of how many endorsements of actual Senators and Representatives, Cruz has gotten.

So, again, it is politics.

But hey, I like Cruz. This Iowa thing has been hard, so we will see how all of this develops.

Because not everyone can be right all of the time, every time!:stuck_out_tongue:

Dido. As to why more (or all) Catholics don’t embrace Rubio baffles me.
Cruz is trigger happy, he has repeatedly said that hes ready to go to war if he becomes president. WWIII would be eminent.

Because Santorum doesn’t think Cruz is a strong conservative.

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264446-santorum-slams-cruzs-libertarian-streak

nationaljournal.com/s/385489/santorum-says-cruz-has-dangerous-not-conservative-stance-marriage

I was surprised too, but I haven’t heard good things about Cruz. I also heard he’s a bit of a troublemaker. Ah but it’s politics. I have to do my homework and research more on the politicians left standing.

In other words, Santorum is saying Cruz’s principles are not necessarily Christian principles (example: same sex marriage isn’t something that needs to be stopped at the federal level). However, they would be principles still consistent with limited government (decision on issues like same sex marriage should be left to the states).

Personally, we should do everything we can to stop the horror of the promotion of same sex ‘marriage’ as it is destroying the fabric of our nation (my opinion). Although I believe the issue should be decided at the state level (supposedly Cruz position), the federal government could and should do whatever it can to deter the spread of the false notion of marriage in our country (Cruz apparently wouldn’t be an advocate for limiting the spread of same sex marriage at the federal level - at least according to Santorum).

If Cruz gets elected, it would be interesting to see how Cruz would combat SSM…if he’d combat it at all.

Cruz has mentioned being called the number 1 Homophobe in the GOP. As for Rubio, his proposed foreign policy is alot more inline with bringing about World War III than Cruz’s. He’ll warn Putin that if Russian planes fly over Syria, where Russia and before that the Soviet Union has had a presence for decades, that we’ll shoot them down. That would be the equivalent of Russia funding an insurgency against Saudi Arabia and then telling the US “We’ll shoot your planes down if they fly over the Saudi peninsula”.

something about Cruz seems untrustworthy.

Most of the Republican politicians are going to endorse Rubio over Cruz.

That would be my guess.

I’m not quite sure why so many Repubs don’t like Cruz, and I don’t think being “too conservative” is it. There’s some kind of personality thing. He’s disliked personally, it seems, and it sounds like it’s an experience-based thing.

I would definitely vote for Cruz in the general election, and I like him over Trump. Yet, there is just something about him that seems mean-spirited IMO. I could be totally wrong about that though. Speaking the truth in charity and love isn’t something I see in him. Plus, and this might not go over well here, I think he takes too hard of a stand on immigrants. Something needs to be done to secure the borders, and send back ones that are dealing in drugs and are criminals (other than illegal aliens). For the ones that are here wanting to work and improve conditions for their families there needs to be some sort of legalization. IMO

I’m disappointed too … and for a different reason possibly.

Too Many Santorum-Generic Candidates for Rick Himself to Thrive?

I will say that in some ways Santorum is a victim of his own former “success” (going from poll obscurity and last place in 2012 to being the GOP runner-up and conservative alternative to Romney. This time around there were several Santorum-like options for voters to consider … among them Rubio who was much higher in the polls and probably got a lot of votes that last time went for Rick.

10 other states Santorum won … can’t choose him now … will Rubio win these?(

I’m disappointed that this “thinning of the field” for the good of the party (theoretically) gives all other states less of a choice to air their political voices. If you were waiting patiently in New Hampshire or South Carolina to pull the lever for Santorum as your first choice … now you can’t (per his suspending his campaign).

So by the time the primary season hits California, my choices MIGHT again come down to
who is LEFT on the ballot (eight years ago it was Mc Cain, Romney, and a way behind in the race Huckabee … I preferred Huckabee, but pragmatically voted for Romney … because I was more cool on Mc Cain … other candidates who had dropped out I preferred to the choices I had left). :mad:

I can see why Rubio – even though there are other candidates he might have endorsed for other reasons.

I didn’t see him ever endorsing Rand Paul or Trump until either had already gotten the nomination. Most of the others left I’d expect Santorum to endorse at the point they GET the nomination.

ijreview.com/2016/02/529584-rick-santorum-endorses-marco-rubio/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=morning-newsletter
This is a video interview with Greta Van Susteren giving his reasons for endorsing Marco Rubio.

• Cruz does share some of Santorum’s positions (but Rick called him a ‘bomb thrower’ around the time of Ted’s filibuster). Might possibly be SOME personal reasons there, but mostly this is a Rubio/positive move more than a slap at Cruz, Carson, Fiorina or anyone else IMO.

• If Rubio is Santorum’s most favored candidate left … NOW was the optimum time for him to endorse him (when he’s still behind but surging).

• Pragmatically Rubio being from swing state Florida is a critical plus over Cruz (as Texas usually goes GOP anyway — and Florida going “blue” makes a GOP pathway to the White House thornier).

I can’t remember which values issue Cruz recently went soft on (PC tolerant) … but perhaps that was another distinction. I remember something that moved me more into the Rubio camp at the time … though I’ll be smiling in January if we happen to elect President Cruz (or MOST of the other GOP nominees still left … due to “the alternatives”). :wink:

It did confuse me because I thought conservatives were all about sending these matters to the state level to decide and not the federal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.