Rick Santorum is running for president again — and says this time will be different

washingtonpost.com/politics/rick-santorum-is-running-for-president-again–and-says-this-time-will-be-different/2014/12/09/0c955498-7fca-11e4-9f38-95a187e4c1f7_story.html
Excerpt:

** Rick Santorum is running for president again — and says this time will be different **

Rick Santorum won primaries and caucuses in 11 states in 2012, coming in a respectable second in the GOP presidential primary season. And Republicans have a history of bestowing their nomination on the next guy in line, usually an also-ran from the last contest.

Yet the former senator from Pennsylvania is rarely mentioned in the already feverish pre-game 2016 chatter among the political commentariat and the donor class.

That’s just the way he likes it. Or so he says.

CNN link: cnn.com/2014/12/10/politics/rick-santorum-2016/index.html

Politics PA.: politicspa.com/santorum-announces-2016-presidential-campaign/62343/

Rick is a really good man, who reaches people’s hearts. His voice is needed, but honestly, since he wings all his speeches, I hope he does not run for President. I’d love to see him as Pres. Cruz’ HHS secretary. Rob :smiley:

For whatever reason, Santorum just doesn’t have the same potential that other candidates have. The main thing people really liked about Santorum in the last campaign was that he wasn’t Romney, who was seen as either too moderate or too Mormon. He was the last of the many successive candidates the anybody-but-Romney crowd got excited about, but it was too little too late. I don’t think those who supported him in the latter part of the primaries were as enthusiastic about him as they had been about Perry, or Bachman, or Cain.

I don’t have the figures to back this up, but I think the historical runner-ups who later won the nomination the last 35 years (Reagan, Bush, Dole, McCain, Romney) all had stronger poll numbers and name recognition at this point in the campaign.

You’re right about the GOP often nominating the runner-up. Often this is the person who is seen as having paid his dues and is deserving of the nomination. George HW Bush and Bob Dole are very representative of this. However, I don’t think Santorum has any chance whatsoever to win the nomination.

I like him, but unfortunately I don’t think he could win. And then it will just feed the whole saga of Republicans pulling the rug out from their own feet. Over and out.

One can never tell but my impressions is Rick Santorum is on a bit of a crusade, maybe it will work. I think he is running a campaign a bit like Allen Keyes did in the past.

Oh how I hope he will run!!! And if we are really lucky, he’ll choose someone like Ben Carson as he running mate!!!
Good times!!!

As near as I can tell, Alan Keyes never won elective office, and his recent attempts have had virtually no chance of success. I believe Santorum has virtually no chance of success either, so your comparison to Keyes is probably apt. As of right now, I would probably list Ted Cruz as a slight favorite, although I suspect a crowded field with a lot of shuffling.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.