Rick Warren

I find it strange how someone could appear so pro catholic and not be catholic

Check out this video on YouTube:

youtu.be/duJxlbDnLXI

Well, all Baptists (and evangelical Protestants) aren’t raging anti-Catholics. You can easily get that impression from Catholic Answers sometimes. Here is what Pastor Warren said:

“The mission of Tom Peterson and Catholics Come Home to bring souls home to Jesus and the church is critically important during this challenging time in our history. I fully support this New Evangelization project.”
—Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life

And he’s right. Having too many inactive Catholics is a bad witness for the church, whether you’re Catholic or not.

He was a guest last week on EWTN’s World Over Live. It was an interesting presentation. :slight_smile:

And having to many ill informed Catholics does a lot of harm to others too. So we learn and pray. I really enjoyed the 2 interviews Raymond had with Pastor Rick. He is a very sincere man and open about his feelings. My prayers for him and his wife and family over the loss of their son. Prayers for his son and all holy souls. God Bless. Memaw

Some former Catholics I know get some of their ongoing spiritual guidance from his online ministries. I wish I could tell them “Rick Warren is ok, but the spiritual riches you left behind are much deeper than the good stuff Rick Warren provides” because I believe the full potential for Christian conversion is in Catholic doctrine.

The problem is that many of these young adults went through Catholic schools at a time when Catholic doctrinal content was omitted. Growing up and as young adults they attended churches where half the pastors were preaching peace and justice sermons taken from the daily newspaper.

Our local diocese constantly talks about evangelization. But the local officials say this means that parishes should be friendly places, and Christians should be socially involved. There is no mention of doctrine, no real mention of conversion except in the limited sense of becoming more “caring”, to all. There are lots of friendly, caring, nearly empty Catholic parishes where I live. People have spiritual needs that these places, and my diocese, are not addressing.

I think many people find that Rick Warren’s concentration on individual spiritual needs meets their own need. I would rather see former Catholics, and non-Catholics, turning to Rick Warren than following the guidance of the secular media culture. There are much worse places for people than Rick, but there is one better place they might turn to.

I just read an article that he and his wife like to pray the divine mercy chaplet and two of his mentors are catholics!

Exactly he is encouraging lapsed catholics to come home to the Catholic Church he also said his favorite tv station is ewtn

Don’t know him, but God willing Gods mercy leads him home.

I too just saw Rick Warren’s interview with Raymond Arroyo EWTN’s World Over Live last night (2 part interview). It was excellent!!! I could really tell that he is a sincere man with a great love for Christ and the poor.

A couple of things that caught my attention in the interview…

[LIST]
*]He referenced Pope Francis as “Our new Pope”.
*]He mentioned Mother Teresa and Pope John Paul II as important figures and has pictures of them in his office.
*]He’s been working closely with the Catholic Church in the area on a new project centering on mental health.
*]He said that is favorite Christian TV network is EWTN, watches it often, and prays the Divine Mercy Chaplet.
*]He reads classic spiritual writings of the Saints. St. Augustine, St. John of the Cross…
*]He seems to understand or have a sense for the historical precedence of the Catholic Church.
[/LIST]

As I was listening to him… I was just waiting for him to say… so this is why I’ve decided to become Catholic.

Watch the interviews here:
Part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=sOi0wwwkCPg
Part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=dVCY8pW-ACs

I was tossing and turning in bed all last night, I would wake up and pray for Rick Warren’s conversion.
Let’s remember him in our prayers.

I too was waiting for him to say he was going to become Catholic LOL! I say it’s just a matter of time that he will. I have his book “A purpose driven life” that an evangelical Christian friend gave me. I haven’t read it yet, because I was concerned that it isn’t written by a Catholic and I am still early in my learning of the Catholic faith.

Thanks for these links! Very interesting interview, I have always admired Rick Warren, but even more so now!

I think it’s wonderful to see these kinds of divisions being healed in the Christian world!

There is one thing the Catholics and Evangelicals have in common and that is social conservatism.

Otherwise the differences are vast. Having been raised a Evangelical who was taught that Catholics are not Christians unless they become Evangelical and “get saved”. I am very confused by all of this. It seems that conservative politics outweigh Catholic belief. :confused:

Since when is caring for the poor and those who are sick (including those with mental illness as the videos discuss) considered conservative politics??? I am confused, I thought that was the message of the gospels!

Yes, most of Rick Santorum’s support came from evangelicals as opposed to Catholics. That was Rick’s base.

Very true and another sad myth that needs to be busted.

You are confused because you are comparing apples and oranges. The Evangelical environment you were raised in is, to put it frankly, different from the one that Rick Warren currently occupies. All Evangelicals are not raging anti-Catholics. If you make that assumption, prepared to be confused.

It isn’t conservative politics. Rick Warren clearly gets a long with Catholics because he believes they are Christians who share (despite all the accumulations) with Warren the core of the gospel. He also, as he says in the video, is aware of church history and appreciates the historical importance of the Catholic Church.

It’s possible that Pastor Rick Warren and his wife did a lot of thinking about God and their “religion” after their son committed suicide a year ago (May he rest in peace). These awful tragedies have a way of stopping us in our tracks and making us re-examine everything we believe in.

My parents-in-law were anti-Catholic until their grandson (our nephew) was diagnosed with cancer when he was 2 years old. My mother-in-law was raised and spent most of her life in the Pentecostal Protestant churches, where dreams and visions are taken seriously as true messages from God. She had some kind of dream about saints praying for the little boy. And then they went down to visit our daughter, and spent the night at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, which has a cancer prayer ministry . They talked to the priest about the little boy, and the priest prayed for him and promised to keep praying for him, and my mother-in-law kept seeing him (vision) praying for the little boy.

These events had a profound effect on my mother–in-law, who told every that she believes the saints are praying for her grandson.

The little boy is fine now (9 years old in June).

And my father-in-law has been going to Catholic Bible study with me every semester for the last five years.

As for the poster who said that they would like to see Catholics looking to Catholic theologians for help instead of Rick Warren, I agree, but I also believe in “precept upon precept.” Some Catholics aren’t ready for the deeper theological writings of the Church Doctors and theologians. Rich Warren is a “baby step” for them and for many Protestants, too. We all have to start somewhere, and better to be on the road to heaven at the very beginning rather than not on the road to heaven at all.

I suppose that’s possible, but in Rick Warren’s case, he was already “pro-Catholic” years ago. According to his critics, he’s pro-everything, even “Crislam.”

I also think Rick may have better support in the realm of psychology because there are segments in the evangelical/fundamentalist world that deny mental illness exists. I am sure that with the very tragic loss of his son, Rick received support from a wide variety of people including Catholics. I haven’t read his book “The Purpose Driven Life” but I’ve known Catholics who have and were helped by it. Rick reminds me of Chuck Colson who likewise have worked with Catholics and have spoken out in support of the Catholic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.