Riddle me this...

From the mouth of my 5yo dd

“Mom, how did adam and eve start people if their kids couldn’t marry because they were brother and sister?”

uhhh…:o

Weren’t they brother and brother???

Cain and Abel?

I’ve always wondered…

Who says Adam’s and Eve’s children couldn’t marry each other?

As far as I know the first prohibition against marriage is in Leviticus. And that wasn’t written for many, many generations.

Does anyone else think God had a 3 for 1 deal on the rib joke?

Incest was allowed, given it was a necessity. Incest is only not allowed when it is not necessary.

Well in that case, if they were the firsts on earth, then we all in this forum and on this earth are related to each other. Peace be with you brothers and sisters.

To a very, very, very, long, stretchy extent… yes! :rotfl:

Adam and Eve were the first people…doesn’t mean they were the only people God made “in the beginning”. That’s how I look at it anyway.

Me too.

Adam and Eve were the first people…doesn’t mean they were the only people God made “in the beginning”. That’s how I look at it anyway.

I agree also. If you believe that evolution took place (and I do), Adam & Eve could have been the first people that God breathed a soul into. We’ll never know in this life, but he could have followed suit with other ‘humans’.

*They *were our first parents. We didn’t have *other *first parents that God didn’t tell us about! This is what the Church teaches.

We are all related to each other even though not closely. Adam and Eve had both male and female children.

Here’s a quote from an apologist on this forum:
“Until the human race had grown to a population large enough to make such arrangements unnecessary, God allowed brothers and sisters to marry and have families together.”

“I beg you, child, to look at the heavens and the earth and see all that is in them; then you will know that God did not make them out of existing things; and in the same way the human race came into existence.” (2 Maccabees 7:28)

It wasn’t much better after the flood. Wasn’t the only people saved Noah and his sons and daughter-in-laws.

So does anyone have anything more “official” than the apologists on here (not that they’re not totally knowledgeable and wonderful and superb…;))

All such interesting theories…thanks!

Actually there is a study going on about this. They are tracing DNA to see how far back they can link people together. Here is a link to the study. It’s very interesting. clanmcalister.org/dna.html

Here is a very interesting quote from the study:
Recently a group of scientists have found that 40% of the world’s Ashkenazi Jews descend from just one woman; another group has found that one in five males in northwest Ireland may be descended from a 5th century warlord.

Oh yeah, it’s Church teaching that Adam and Eve were the parents of all. We are all descendents.

In this homily, a priest explains the teaching of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in which the Pope at the time declared to be binding teaching.

web2.airmail.net/carlsch/MaterDei/Homilies/homily031012.htm

. The creation of all things wrought by God in the beginning of time. We must believe that a Divine Being is the ultimate cause for the universe. God “creates” in the strict sense which is to say, God brings forth from nothing and this act simultaneously begins time.

1. The special creation of man. We must believe that God uniquely created man with a rational soul. Whether directly from the slime of the earth or indirectly through a succession of other organic bodies is not a concern. We must believe that at one point God infused into some matter a rational soul making the first man.
  1. The formation of the first woman from the first man. We must believe that God miraculously formed Eve from Adam. As we read in Genesis, “the Lord God cast a deep sleep upon Adam and when he was fast asleep, He took one of his ribs and filled up flesh for it.” (Gn 2:21)
  1. The oneness of the human race. We must believe that every man born into this world shares the same first parents namely, Adam and Eve. The Church condemns polygenism, the false doctrine that mankind has several first parents. For if such were true not all mankind would be stained with original sin and, thereby, not all mankind would need redemption. (see Rm 5:12)
  1. The original happiness of our first parents. Adam and Eve were perfectly happy in their pristine condition. They were created in a state of justice having intimate friendship of God; a state of integrity, they had perfect control over their passions; a state of immortality, they could not die. The privileges of our first parents makes it difficult to find a reason for their disobedience… a question the Church studies under the title: the mystery of iniquity.
  1. The command given to man by God to prove his obedience. We must believe God tested Adam to prove his obedience. The meaning of “Thou shall not eat of the tree of knowledge” awaits a full explanation but it is enough to know Adam was tested by God for his obedience and his response would affect all mankind.
  1. The transgression of the divine command through the devil’s persuasion under the guise of a serpent. We must believe that the devil exists and that Adam failed his test through demonic persuasion. In persuading Adam to sin, the devil takes possession of an organic life form recognizable as a serpent… perhaps even as a dragon as read in other scriptures.
  1. The casting out of our first parents out of that first state of innocence. We must believe that by his sin, Adam and Eve, the purest human persons outside our Blessed Lady, lost God’s intimate friendship and became subject to concupiscence, suffering, and death
  1. The promise of a future restorer. We must believe that God promised to send someone to restore the friendship He had with mankind in the beginning. This promise is recorded in Genesis 3:15 wherein God tells the serpent, “I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heal.” This woman may be taken as our Lady or the Church either of which has the upper hand, “she shall crush thy head;” however, the seed of this woman must expect some suffering, “thou shalt lie in wait for her heal.”

all the rest is minor details. :smiley:

John Martignoni has a talk on this–Catholics and the Bible for free download

biblechristiansociety.com/download

The main pertinent point is that if there were other parents, then not everyone would have original sin.

To us, marrying a sibling is repugnant, but in the early days, God had not laid that on our hearts.

Also, I believe that the Church says it’s permissible to interpret the story of Noah to mean a regional flood–not necessarily a worldwide flood. In that case, the Hebrew people would still be descended from Noah.

Of course, you are free also to accept a worldwide flood. :slight_smile:

Here’s what the Catechism says:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm

2361 "Sexuality, by means of which man and woman give themselves to one another through the acts which are proper and exclusive to spouses, is not something simply biological, but concerns the innermost being of the human person as such. It is realized in a truly human way only if it is an integral part of the love by which a man and woman commit themselves totally to one another until death."143

Tobias got out of bed and said to Sarah, "Sister, get up, and let us pray and implore our Lord that he grant us mercy and safety." So she got up, and they began to pray and implore that they might be kept safe. Tobias began by saying, "Blessed are you, O God of our fathers. . . . You made Adam, and for him you made his wife Eve as a helper and support. From the two of them the race of mankind has sprung. You said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; let us make a helper for him like himself.' I now am taking this kinswoman of mine, not because of lust, but with sincerity. Grant that she and I may find mercy and that we may grow old together." And they both said, "Amen, Amen." Then they went to sleep for the night.144

scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p7.htm

402 All men are implicated in Adam’s sin, as St. Paul affirms: “By one man’s disobedience many (that is, all men) were made sinners”: "sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned."289 The Apostle contrasts the universality of sin and death with the universality of salvation in Christ. "Then as one man’s trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one man’s act of righteousness leads to acquittal and life for all men."290

403 Following St. Paul, the Church has always taught that the overwhelming misery which oppresses men and their inclination towards evil and death cannot be understood apart from their connection with Adam’s sin and the fact that he has transmitted to us a sin with which we are all born afflicted, a sin which is the “death of the soul”.291 Because of this certainty of faith, the Church baptizes for the remission of sins even tiny infants who have not committed personal sin.292

404 How did the sin of Adam become the sin of all his descendants? The whole human race is in Adam “as one body of one man”.293 By this “unity of the human race” all men are implicated in Adam’s sin, as all are implicated in Christ’s justice. Still, the transmission of original sin is a mystery that we cannot fully understand. But we do know by Revelation that Adam had received original holiness and justice not for himself alone, but for all human nature. By yielding to the tempter, Adam and Eve committed a personal sin, but this sin affected the human nature that they would then transmit in a fallen state.294 It is a sin which will be transmitted by propagation to all mankind, that is, by the transmission of a human nature deprived of original holiness and justice. And that is why original sin is called “sin” only in an analogical sense: it is a sin “contracted” and not “committed” - a state and not an act.

My teen dds recently brought up “the mark of Cain” that was to protect him from other peoples killing him as he wandered the land. Where did these “other people” come from?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.