"Ride Along With Mitch": Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels

weeklystandard.com/articles/ride-along-mitch

Read this article and then tell YOUR governor to read it as well.

Governor of Indiana since 2004, Mitch Daniels has begun the remake of his state.

The article is a little long, but READ THIS ARTICLE!!!

Here are a few excerpts:

"For the first time in 40 years, more people are moving INTO the state than leaving it. Indiana earned its first triple-A bond rating in 2008 and two more in April. it's one of only nine states with this distinction, one of only two in the Midwest. Indiana, Daniels likes to say, is the 'peony in the parking lot' ".

Daniels is a font of statistics, but one comes to his lips more than any other. “Only 61 cents of every education dollar gets into the classroom in Indiana.” School funding increased every year under Daniels before the recession, and since the downturn, when most areas of state government have seen cuts of 25 percent or more, education has been reduced by only 2 percent. Yet the local school boards and their Democratic allies in the state legislature continue to complain. Daniels calls education funding “the bloody shirt” of Indiana politics: “It doesn’t take long before somebody starts waving it.” One of my favorite bits of Daniels video on YouTube shows him at a press conference defending a bill to end “social promotion” in the state’s grade schools. School districts were appalled that the bill would pass without “additional resources” to educate the kids who would be held back.

A reporter asked him about it.

“By the time a child has finished third grade, the state has spent $40,000 and the school district has had 720 days to teach that child to read,” he said, tight-lipped. “If that child can’t read by then, there is a fundamental failure in that district. And they’ll need to remedy it. The most unacceptable thing to do is to shove that child along to fourth grade into almost certain academic failure. That’s a cruel thing to do, it’s a wrong thing to do, and we’re going to put an end to it.”

The reporter pressed: But won’t the schools need more money?

Daniels’s eyes got wide.

“More than $40,000 to teach someone how to read? No. It won’t and it shouldn’t and any school district that can’t do it ought to face consequences.”

... a reporter from the local radio station appeared. She pressed him on the education budget cuts too. She told him the local school board had just laid off nine teachers and an administrator.

“What would you say to those people?” she asked.

He visibly flinched, just as he had on MitchTV.

“I’d say it should have been nine administrators and one teacher. There are 20 things that school board could do before it had to lay off one teacher.”

In fact, the governor’s office has publicized a “Citizens’ Checklist” that people can take to their local school boards to see if school officials have made every possible economy. Citizens in Vincennes need to take that list and get answers, he said. The list is filled with questions. Have the administrators “eliminated memberships in professional associations and reduced travel expenses”? Have they “sold, leased, or closed underutilized buildings”? Have they “outsourced transportation and custodial services”?

“I want citizens to understand,” he said. “When people start demanding we spend more money, they’re saying, ‘We want to raise your taxes.’ And the citizens should say, ‘Okay, tell me. Which one of my taxes do you want to raise?’ ”

GREAT article.

One last excerpt:

“We have a solemn duty to spend that dollar as carefully as possible, because when we took it we diminished that person’s freedom.” When you put it like that, overspending by government seems un-American.

When Daniels took office, in 2004, the state faced a $200 million deficit and hadn’t balanced its budget in seven years. Four years later, all outstanding debts had been paid off; after four balanced budgets, the state was running a surplus of $1.3 billion, which has cushioned the blows from a steady decline in revenues caused by the recession. “That’s what saved us when the recession hit,” one official said. “If we didn’t have the cash reserves and the debts paid off, we would have been toast.” The state today is spending roughly the same amount that it was when Daniels took office, largely because he resisted the budget increases other states were indulging in the past decade.

No other state in the Midwest—all of them, like Indiana, dependent on a declining manufacturing sector—can match this record. Venture capital investment in Indiana had lagged at $39 million annually in the first years of this decade. By 2009 it was averaging $94 million. Even now the state has continued to add jobs—7 percent of new U.S. employment has been in Indiana this year, a state with 2 percent of the country’s population.

He isn't my man Mitch, I didn't vote for him.
He refuses to live in the governor's residence. He hides when the heat is on.
He completely trashed the welfare/food stamp/medicaid eligibility system* by selling it to IBM.
He sold the toll road (built and paid for by US, the taxpayers) to private investors.
He has a public side where he uses proper English and good grammar and the side he shows when he dons a flannel shirt and his Harley and gets all hayseed Hoosier hick.
He gave a job to crony Mitch Roob after he ruined Texas.
He doesn't even live with his wife.
Our economy is a SHAM and a SHAMBLES...the list goes on and on.

Mark my words: The man will hightail it OUT of Indiana the minute his term is up.

*whether you "agree with" people being eligible for public services isn't relevant. The fact is that there are laws in place to protect people in need. He made it difficult or impossible for people to get benefits, actually endangering lives of children and adults, by turning a profit on the backs of poor people.
The Feds (USDA) shut down the contract (not Mitch, as he would lead you to believe) and it cost more to put it back together than IBM made. IBM is suing the State and the State is suing IBM. That will be great fun, EXPENSIVE entertainment for the next ? years as it muddles through the courts!!

I voted for him.

He's awesome.

Want a welfare state? Dont move here.

Indiana is doing great compared to our neighbors......because of Mitch Daniels.

We could be another rust belt welfare state... but we aren't.

Way to go Mitch!

[quote="Katrina5, post:3, topic:201840"]
He completely trashed the welfare/food stamp/medicaid eligibility system* by selling it to IBM.
He sold the toll road (built and paid for by US, the taxpayers) to private investors.
He has a public side where he uses proper English and good grammar and the side he shows when he dons a flannel shirt and his Harley and gets all hayseed Hoosier hick.
He gave a job to crony Mitch Roob after he ruined Texas.
He doesn't even live with his wife.
Our economy is a SHAM and a SHAMBLES...the list goes on and on.

Mark my words: The man will hightail it OUT of Indiana the minute his term is up.

*whether you "agree with" people being eligible for public services isn't relevant. The fact is that there are laws in place to protect people in need. He made it difficult or impossible for people to get benefits, actually endangering lives of children and adults, by turning a profit on the backs of poor people.
The Feds (USDA) shut down the contract (not Mitch, as he would lead you to believe) and it cost more to put it back together than IBM made. IBM is suing the State and the State is suing IBM. That will be great fun, EXPENSIVE entertainment for the next ? years as it muddles through the courts!!

[/quote]

Could be worse.

Consider California [30% shortfall between tax collections and state spending] which destroyed the most productive agricultural region in the country by cutting off all the irrigation water because of a 3" smelt. Resulting in massive unemployment.

Or Michigan [formerly the automobile capital of the world], which is actually bulldozing whole abandoned neighborhoods because so many people have moved away.

Or New York State [which is bankrupt and shooting itself in the foot because it is literally minutes away ... on the edge of banning drilling for natural gas which it apparently has a HUGE deposit of].

Or New York City, which actually shut down a nuclear power reactor and now has to import electricity. They ended up paying ~ $5 billion for NOTHING. [Actually, it is Shoreham on Long Island, and NYS was a participant in the fiasco.] And which owns a large chunk of Pennsylvania and New York State for its municipal water supply, but which, it has been learned, actually wastes more than 30 million gallons per day of water from a leak in an upstate New York State town [causing floods and damage to local houses] that everybody knows about, but which they won't fix.

Or New Jersey which raises tax rates and find that a) total taxes collected go DOWN, and b) another TEN BILLION in residents assets have moved out of state ... every year! Where the former governor's mistress [or "ex-mistress][but he bought her a condo ... ????] was the state employees' union negotiator [or something like that ... very strange] Where the governor spend months in a hospital recovering from terrible injuries because his state police driver was text messaging to his mistress at 90 mph. Where the OFFICIAL POLICY of the state was "pay to play". Where they passed a bond issue, but then no one actually knew what the bonds were to be used for. Where they sold free highways to the toll agency and then sold the toll agency.

Or Louisiana/New Orleans, where the previous governor and the mayor "forgot" to put their emergency plan into effect when Katrina hit. And blamed Bush who kept saying activate your emergency plan.

He entertains and conducts business at the Governors mansion. They want to live in their own home that they have lived in for 10 years.

He completely trashed the welfare/food stamp/medicaid eligibility system* by selling it to IBM.He never sold it to IBM.. they had a contract to automate the delivery of it. He canceled it in October because of fraud at IBM. **
He leased it for 75 years for 3.8 billion. Sounds smart to me.
**He rides a harley .. so what?

He gave a job to crony Mitch Roob after he ruined Texas.*http://www.depauw.edu/news/index.asp?id=15072 ridiculous.*
He doesn't even live with his wife.not true at all.
Our economy is a SHAM and a SHAMBLES...the list goes on and on. ridiculous.... we have a SURPLUS.

Mark my words: The man will hightail it OUT of Indiana the minute his term is up. not true.. he has lived in the same house for a decade.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.