riotousness

I came across a word found more commonly in the Douay Rheims bible translation. This is odd to me because it seems the many other more recent translations do not use this word but seem to be ‘more specific’ such as from Jude 1:4:: For certain men are secretly entered in, (who were written of long ago unto this judgment,) ungodly men, turning the grace of our Lord God into riotousness, and denying the only sovereign Ruler, and our Lord Jesus Christ. And, 2:14 James 5:5:: You have feasted upon earth: and in riotousness you have nourished your hearts, in the day of slaughter.

The word is riotousness.

Jude in other translations seems to replace the word with sexual immorality or the like, and James in other translations seems to replace the word with luxury or pleasure.

Does anyone know what the original greek or hebrew manuscripts used in place of this?

It seems websters says riotousness is: 1 a: of the nature of a riot : turbulent b: participating in riot2: abundant, exuberant …

but that doesn’t make much sense to me. Does anyone know what was in the minds of those translators unto the Douay Rheims?

What does sacred tradition say?

I have not researched the passage enough to know what commentators in history have said about the word…perhaps you could search the Haydock commentary for those passages.

Apparently Strong’s concordance says the word in question is the Greek word aselgeia. It defines it as: “unbridled lust, excess, licentiousness, lasciviousness, wantonness, outrageousness, shamelessness, insolence.” Put in the other verses at this website in the box at left and scroll down to see the Greek words by rolling over the word you want to know and clicking on it.

Thank you sir. A wonderful resource you have given me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.