RIOTS HIT CHARLOTTE: At least 12 cops injured in protests after officer-involved shooting death of black man

The protests broke out Tuesday after 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was fatally shot by a black officer at an apartment complex on the city’s northeast side. They continued into early Wednesday morning, when TV footage showed dozens of protesters on Interstate 85 apparently looting semi-trucks and setting their contents on fire on the highway.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/21/at-least-12-charlotte-cops-injured-in-protests-following-officer-involved-death-black-man.html

Praying for all involved.

Looks like the police around the country have wised up by not putting white officers in these situations. First Mikwaukee and now here where it was a black officer doing the shooting. The narrative is attempting to move the focus of ‘white vs black’ to ‘police vs black’.

You do have to understand that police as a whole, do see themselves above all authority. With the shootings that happened in Dallas, many do see themselves as immune and feel that they cannot be blamed for anything.

Having said that, it is also our job as a society (blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, middle eastern) to behave. To better ourselves through education. Not to feel like the country owes something.

Once again, the police response was pretty weak. White motorists attacked, 12 police injured, a Walmart looted, an Interstate shutdown, and just 5 arrests !

Police arresting people seems like progress. At least they didn’t shoot them.

Large scale disturbances here are being handled more and more like Western Europe, where police often let the mob vent their anger in hopes that they’ll eventually grow tired and go home.

We often don’t have the resources to manage the heavy rioting that seems to follow any police incident, whether justified or not (While not all are justified, most people, including the “non-judgmental open minded ones” condemn the police without having the facts or any knowledge of police tactics). Strangely, very few blame the rioters for their actions. When we do manage to get up sufficient resources to respond, we are labeled as heavy-handed. When we are not able to respond quickly enough, we are labeled weak or indifferent. Lose-lose.

No we don’t have to “understand” that. You may think that, but such a notion is far from the reality.

It is about as believable and delusional as thinking that YOU, personally, are completely in touch with how “police as a whole” view themselves.

It may be your personal opinion about “police as a whole,” but you having a personal opinion about such matters doesn’t make it, ipso facto, reality.

Sounds like you projecting what you think is true onto reality.

Hey, I have an idea. Why don’t you train to be a police officer, work as one, and then you will be better positioned to tell us what “our job” is – both as a society and as a police officer.

I agree that there is an element of loose canons that believe in the motto " Shoot first and ask questions later ". I also believe Police Union Leaders have more power over police officers than the Chief of Police and local government officials that results in suppressing effective training ( Remember the NY police officers turning their backs to the NY Mayor ). I also believe police methods in making stops and confronting belligerent motorist needs to be overhauled. Too many incidents of the same nature are ending in tragic deaths.

As we see more people commit acts of violence without being arrested, don’t be surprised if it leads to us seeing more rioters.

:thumbsup:
Is it not something that we feel the need to say that!

Update. 16 police were injured.

That’s exactly what the protests are about, people committing acts of violence and not being arrested.

:thumbsup:

Wow all those big words, just going in circles to say a few words. Bravo bravo

I do have a job that is respected by many. I work as a firefighter paramedics and guess what. We have to help those who have done things that hurt someone else.
I don’t judge a certain race or group bc what others did. I do my job.
You see no big words, no circles straightforward

We also have to help those who have done things that hurt others. Unlike you though, however important and noble your job may be, we are also tasked with addressing those violent behaviors while you sit back and criticize from the sidelines. Are there bad and incompetent people in our line of work? Absolutely there are. But to paint us all as racist murderers, and to feel justified in doing so, is quite a stretch. We recently arrested a firefighter who was setting fires to people’s homes just so he could feel like a hero when he responded. He was far from the first fireman arrested for the same thing in my jurisdiction, and there have been many others throughout the country in only the last few years. Should I say that all firemen are serial arsonists? No, because it’s not true, just like the assertions that all police are bloodthirsty savages who spend their days plotting the murder of innocent minorities is not true.

1. Black communities should have an all black police force…then there will be no racial bias.

2. When a cop tells a person to drop whatever is in their hand, they must comply, or else it will be seen as a threat to the cop.

3. When pulled over by a cop, don’t reach under the seat for anything or hide any drugs…better to go to jail for the night than to be shot dead for mistakenly reaching for a gun.

Here’s the timeline:and details as they are known at present: charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article103131242.html

The shooting takes place at or around 4:00 pm Eastern. The place where the shooting occurs is in an apartment complex parking lot less than one block away from the central campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC). 4:00 pm is the beginning of rush hour and the end of daytime classes. Off campus students are returning home. There are lots of pedestrians in the immediate area. The word of the shooting would have spread quickly.

By 5:00 p.m. (within one hour of the tragedy), the Charlotte Observer reports that at least 100 “protesters” have already gathered at the site of the shooting. (That’s an interesting turn of phrase by the way, I would’ve expected “onlookers” not “protesters”). Apparently, social media is working ahead of the local press which has just begun to report the incident.

By 7:11 (three hours after the shooting), the crowd has grown so large and menacing that the Charlotte Police Dept. are compelled to send in its Civil Emergency Unit to “safely remove our officers from the area.” Now stop right here to think about what is happening at this moment. Police officers, inspectors and detectives are at the scene of the shooting collecting forensic data, and these officers are concerned enough for their own safety that they call in for help. This is an ugly crowd. How did it get so ugly so fast? Are there protest leaders on-site? BLM activists? Political operatives? Is the crowd mostly black, or is it mixed race? It most certainly is close to the campus, so my guess is would be a mixed crowd. Does anybody know the campus area enough to comment on this?

By 7:45 (about a half hour later), the police are already busy identifying a "more aggressive group of agitators (interesting phrase there – “agitators”). They feel the need to “de-escalate the the agitators.” and the streets are starting to get blocked. Again, what’s happening is that the crowd is not only growing, but it’s getting more and more vocal and chaotic and is showing an animus towards the police and starting to obstruct and upturn civil order. This is when the riots begin – 7:45 pm – less than four hours after the initial incident. Within 15 minutes of the hoped for de-escalation, fires are being started, cars are being overturned, police are being attacked by people throwing objects at them. It’s now out of control.

The protesters certainly were able to gather their forces very quickly and they were prepared to lead people into civil disorder.

I contend that, if this hadn’t happened near a major campus area, there would have been no riots at all. Witness Tulsa, where a police officer allegedly gunned down an unarmed man with his hands up – no riots.

I agree with your two examples but don’t recall when/where I was taught such.

We need a massive PSA (public service announcement) push in the media and schools:

• how to properly respond to the police
  • your rights to refuse search, etc.

I agree. When I was a kid, everyone taught us to just obey anything and everything a cop tells you, I really think that was a bad idea, they need to be teaching kids their individual rights when it comes to interacting with police, like when they can legally refuse to answer questions or give out their names, IDs, etc.

But ultimately the criminal justice system needs a major overhaul, from top to bottom, everything included, if that means taking some authority away from police, maybe that is something to consider.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.