Risen Christ on cross? ...

An earlier thread made a reference to the “risen Christ on cross”. I can’t picture what this is referring to. Could someone describe the issue in detail or point me to a pic or description?

Thanks very much in advance,

Chris

This is usually a risen Christ with his arms open towards the front wearing a white robe in front of a plain cross.

I have heard some refer to it as a “Touchdown Jesus” like he is celebrating scoring a touchdown in American football.

classic-crossandcrucifix.com/risen.htm

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]This is usually a risen Christ with his arms open towards the front wearing a white robe in front of a plain cross.

I have heard some refer to it as a “Touchdown Jesus” like he is celebrating scoring a touchdown in American football.
[/quote]

Sorta reminds me of the man on the flying trapeze :slight_smile:

Seems they don’t want to offend our ecumenical friends with a bloody crucifix but yet didn’t want to use their empty cross.

I don’t know if this trend is everywhere, but at least in my area I have noticed that any Catholic church I go into that has the risen Christ as their main cross (they may have a small crucifix somewhere in the church,) tends to have a Mass with numerous litergical abuses.

actually detailed in the GIRM or Code of Canon Law? I like to have my ducks in a row when I confront anyone on some of this stuff.

Thanks again all!

the Paulist Center in Boston has this…

paulist.org/boston/images/artwork.jpg

Here is one that irks me. They simply bypassed the cross altogether and went straight to the resurrection.

Take a look at this picture and tell me that it doesn’t look like a protestant church!

Church of the Resurrection

I mean, even the name “Church of the Resurrection” sounds protestant. Of course, we venerate the resurrection as well, but you have to admit that is not a traditional Catholic church name.

Even the front page lists the “Worship schedule”, not the “Mass Schedule”.

This is a brand-new, multi-million dollar Church that opened last month. I called the parish to ask about the crucifix. The only crucifix will be the one that they hold while processing into Mass.

In the interest of charity, I do give them credit for having Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration.

There is a story told that the devil once appeared to St. Martin of Tours just like that (the Risen Christ), but without the wounds.
St. Martin, therefore doubted if the vision was truely Christ, so he asked the devil “Where are your wounds?”. the Devil promptly disappeared.

Need I say more?

[quote=cmeisenzahl]actually detailed in the GIRM or Code of Canon Law? I like to have my ducks in a row when I confront anyone on some of this stuff.
Thanks again all!
[/quote]

Not sure what you are specificially asking about.

Are you wondering whether a Cross with a risen Christ is allowed in a church? Yes it is BUT by regulations a church MUST have a crucifix in it.

1. There is also to be a cross, with the figure of Christ crucified upon it, either on the altar or near it, where it is clearly visible to the assembled congregation. It is appropriate that such a cross, which calls to mind for the faithful the saving Passion of the Lord, remain near the altar even outside of liturgical celebrations.

Link
So if they have a cross with the risen Christ on it AND a crucifix it is allowed. If they only have the risen Christ they are going against the GIRM.

I have seen a few churches that have the risen Christ get around this by having the processional cross being a crucifix and leaving that crucifix on the altar.

Mike,

If you’re suggesting that “risen Christ” crucifxes are satanic, then I think you do need to say more. Are you suggesting a satanic presence in the Churches with such crucifixes? Or are the pastors servants of satan?

In my church there is a “risen Christ” crucifix at the front. Jesus’ arms are extended, as they would have been on the cross, but now also suggesting his embrace of us. Around Jesus is his burial garment, which harkens back to the swaddling clothes of the manger, reminding us that Jesus was “born to die for our sins”.

How satanic.

BTW, my parish church faces the East as per tradition, with a large, round, stained glass window behind the alter the large “risen Christ” crucifix. At certain times of the year the sun is rising and shining directly through the window during morning mass times. The back-lit effect almost makes Jesus disappear and all that can be seen is the backlit, shadowy cross. I never pegged the sun as a tool of satan, but you never know.

[quote=Marauder]Not sure what you are specificially asking about.

Are you wondering whether a Cross with a risen Christ is allowed in a church? Yes it is BUT by regulations a church MUST have a crucifix in it.
Link
So if they have a cross with the risen Christ on it AND a crucifix it is allowed. If they only have the risen Christ they are going against the GIRM.

I have seen a few churches that have the risen Christ get around this by having the processional cross being a crucifix and leaving that crucifix on the altar.
[/quote]

That’s like at the church I visited this weekend…the cross they carry for procession is only a cross…no Christ on it. There is no Christ on a cross anywhere near the altar…only in the stations. At the altar it’s a fully risen Lord in white robes and with hands opened pointing down toward the altar, palms up.

Then during mass the priest did not deliver the homily…the eucharistic minister read it. :confused:

Everything else seemed rather traditional. I don’t get it.

We have a mosaic on the wall at the back of the sanctuary of the risen Christ and the Sacred Heart (that’s also the name of our parish). The mosaic depicts the wounds, so no satanic references there. :wink:

I’m not a big fan of the mosaic compared to the old carved marble altarpiece that they had back in the 60’s (I’ve seen photos), but it is certainly better than some of the alternatives I’ve seen in other parishes - the “superman Jesus” from the Church of the Resurrection cited above being one prime example… :eek:

We also have a crucifix in a stand adjacent to the altar that is always present, and is also used during the processional and recessional.

Blessings.

[quote=YinYangMom]That’s like at the church I visited this weekend…the cross they carry for procession is only a cross…no Christ on it. There is no Christ on a cross anywhere near the altar…only in the stations. At the altar it’s a fully risen Lord in white robes and with hands opened pointing down toward the altar, palms up.
[/quote]

The cross without corpus would be a no-no according to the GIRM, but from your post I doubt that the bare cross is that particular church’s biggest liturgical problem… :wink:

Blessings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.