Rite of Election

Hello

I went through the Rite of Election this past weekend and just wanted to say what a moving exp it was.I tell you,to stand and publicly profess my faith alongside hundreds of others was something,I will never forget.Its also not everyday you get to meet a Bishop.

Any other RCIA folks doing this,this Lent season?

Just want to congratulate you on this step closer to full communion with the Church. It is a moving experience, and not just for the catechumens and candidates. Those in the congregation get a nice boost in the arm from it too! :wink: I hope your Lenten preparations will be equally meaningful to you and all in the RCIA program as we approach Easter Vigil. God bless!

[quote=Della]Just want to congratulate you on this step closer to full communion with the Church. It is a moving experience, and not just for the catechumens and candidates. Those in the congregation get a nice boost in the arm from it too! :wink: I hope your Lenten preparations will be equally meaningful to you and all in the RCIA program as we approach Easter Vigil. God bless!
[/quote]

Thanks Della,I can’t tell you how much support I have recieved at home,my Parish and on this forum.I feel like I have gained hundreds of brothers & sisters in my brief walk.I can’t wait to support the new folks in RCIA,starting this summer.

And yes,the Lenten preparations/season is having an effect on me.It’s all building to the Easter Vigil.On one hand it saddens me deeply,on what man did to Jesus.On the other,it is very humbling to know that the Lord loves us that much.Makes me want to take up my cross and follow him. :thumbsup:

You’re welcome. And seeing catechumens and candidates all fired up about Christ and his Church is a wonderful witness to our faith. Who says Catholics never get excited or we know nothing but dead rituals with no substance. We can clearly see in you and those supporting you, how alive is our Catholic faith. I’ll be praying for you and all those entering the Church this Easter Vigil. :thumbsup:

franksv

Me and my fiance went through it too. We did it at our local parish but did not make it down to meet the Bishop. we had a snow storm so we couldnt make the trip. I was really bumed about it, made me feel like I only went through half of the rite. However I have a Bishop in the family so I have met one before.

God bless

[quote=Roman_Catholic]franksv

Me and my fiance went through it too. We did it at our local parish but did not make it down to meet the Bishop. we had a snow storm so we couldnt make the trip. I was really bumed about it, made me feel like I only went through half of the rite. However I have a Bishop in the family so I have met one before.

God bless
[/quote]

Even at the level of the local Parish,it was still a very moving exp.We had the whole Parish welcome us,pray for us and give us their support.To stand publicly and profess my faith for me was just an awsome exp.It was like we where saying we may not be perfect,but we belong to the Lord.Belong to the Lord and will make our very best effort everyday to live in his grace.I tell you,I m enjoying RCIA sooo much,I m never going to leave.I m comming back as a facilitator as soon as they think I am ready.If its not within the first year,I m going to sponsor someone new. :thumbsup:

franksv

I am sorry. I did not mean to indicate that the local parish ceremony was not moving. It most certainly was for me. I would have loved to meet the Bishop however. I should have wrote my original post better.

However what do you mean by profession of faith? We did not do this. We just went up to the front with our sponsers and the Father asked our sponser if we were loyally doing what it took to become members of the Church (praying, reading the Bible ect. ect)

[quote=Roman_Catholic]franksv

I am sorry. I did not mean to indicate that the local parish ceremony was not moving. It most certainly was for me. I would have loved to meet the Bishop however. I should have wrote my original post better.

However what do you mean by profession of faith? We did not do this. We just went up to the front with our sponsers and the Father asked our sponser if we were loyally doing what it took to become members of the Church (praying, reading the Bible ect. ect)
[/quote]

First off,I m sorry if I came off inferring that you had taken something away from the local Parish ceremony.That was not what I meant.I was just trying to positive in reagards to what you where able to attend.

Maybe my words of profess your faith sounds more like you recited one of the creeds.We did not do that,but when you/we got up in front of the Parish(in public)and answered the questions.We publicly forged our committment to Christ and his Church and to move forward.

In our RCIA class afterwards we talked about how in the early Church this was a bold step,as in the Roman empire this could get you killed.We also talked about how along with Baptism this is also a way of saying no to satan and yes to Jesus.

I agree with franksv, it was a moving experience and I was so happy to be a part of it. We met our Arch-Bishop (down in Miami) and it was just amazing how well organized everything was! Our group, which I did not think would ever bond, did so and I personally felt much closer to everyone who is going through this with me. I will also get a personal thrill in seeing my group’s Catechumens receive the Sacrament of Baptism this Easter Vigil.

39 days to go!

We had our Rite of Election last evening. I thought it was great. This year we had a new opening hymn:

Church of God, Elect and Glorious

Church of God, elect and glorious,
holy nation, chosen race;
called as God’s own special people,
royal priests and heirs of grace:
know the purpose of your calling,
show to all his mighty deeds;
tell of love which knows …*

This brought to my mind that in this ceremony with our apostle we are linked to 20 centuries of elect, all the way back to the first elect listening to the first apostle give his Pentecost sermon.*

I went through the Rite of Election at my parish and it was wonderful.

I can’t say so much for meeting the Bishop. The Bishop had two meetings with the catecumens/candidates. I was in the second group. I lost the spiritual meaning in the contemporary church builing atmosphere. It was mass confusion and very rushed.

My parish is 50+ years old and the priest who built it only settled for the best in art and architecture. The new contemporary parish where I met the Bishop looked more like to public meeting hall than a Catholic church or chuch of any denomination. Very sad.

My R.O.E. was wonderful! It was my first time in the Cathedral (even though it’s only a few miles down the street) and very moving. Our diocese covers a decent geographic area (16 civil parishes in north Louisiana) and it was wonderful to see so many who’d traveled hours to get here.

Our RCIA class just had our Rite of Election this past saturday. The ceremony was about two and a half hours long, and very moving. An Archbishop presided over ours, he gave a fantastic homily. :yup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.