Rite of Welcome/Acceptance?

Good news!

FINALLY, me and the RCIA group FINALLY got up the next level to the Rite of Welcome yesterday at Mass!!! :stuck_out_tongue: It was beautiful how our sponsors made the Sign of the Cross on us, etc.

Now what does the Rite of Welcome do for us?

Can anyone answer this?

This web site has a good list of the RCIA “Milestones”

ecatholic2000.com/rcia/rcia.shtml

You have formally finished your period of inquiry, and your local Parish has welcomed you into the fold! It is a beautiful Rite, I was moved to tears during mine -

Your next step will be the Rite of Sending (your local Parish sends you to the Biship) then the Rite of Election - (The Rite of Election is where you get to learn the secret handshake from the Bishop :smiley: )…

After the Rite of Election, there is usually CAKE!

[quote=kage_ar]This web site has a good list of the RCIA “Milestones”

ecatholic2000.com/rcia/rcia.shtml

You have formally finished your period of inquiry, and your local Parish has welcomed you into the fold! It is a beautiful Rite, I was moved to tears during mine -

Your next step will be the Rite of Sending (your local Parish sends you to the Biship) then the Rite of Election - (The Rite of Election is where you get to learn the secret handshake from the Bishop :smiley: )…

After the Rite of Election, there is usually CAKE!
[/quote]

No I don’t think I’ll see the bishop because I’m a candidate. Besides, hope you didn’t miss my big green signature!

Have you asked your RCIA Director what it did for you and what’s next? I’m a bit confused that you’d be asking us about something you are actually experiencing here and now. Didn’t the class go over what the significance of the Rite was?

[quote=Paris Blues]No I don’t think I’ll see the bishop because I’m a candidate. Besides, hope you didn’t miss my big green signature!
[/quote]

Well, all I can relate to is my own experience - I went through RCIA as a baptized Christian, and have been involved in my husband’s RCIA (he was a canidate as well) - both times the entire RCIA class went through the Rite where we were welcomed by the Bishop. In my husband’s case - his Rite took place at the cathedral.

I hope you do not miss that rite, it is a wonderful experience to meet your Bishop.

Hello! Peace and all good to you!
Could you be so kind in teeling me where can I find (through the internet) the prayers that the priest uses during the different rites? Please… Thank you!:wink:

They will be found in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults

Oh My! My group just passed the Rite of Election on the 1st. I thought every church did the same thing at the same time. We were told that every Catholic Church around the world was doing this at the same time we were.

That is correct the Rite of Election with the Bishop is usually right at the beginning of Lent. Our Bishop has 4 Rite’s of Election in different areas of the diocese over the course of a week. The Rite of Election is for those Catechumens who are to be Baptized at the Easter Vigil.

The Rite of Election is for those Catechumens who are to be Baptized at the Easter Vigil.

We candidates attended as well.

It is confusing because it is never really explained very well.

The Rite of Election is ONLY for Catechumens seeking Baptism, Confirmationn and Holy Communion in the Catholic Church.

There is also “The Call to Continuing Conversion” that can also be celebrated for Candidates. Sometimes, no, most of the time, they are celebrated at the same meeting with the Bishop but are actually two totally separate and distinct things.

Hmmmmm. you got me stumped, Br. Rich. I know for certain I was there, and I know that our catechumens were there as well. The catechumens were introduced to the Bishop separately than we were, but we did the same exact things in the same service. All catechumens and candidates met with the Bishop as a group prior to the Rite.

I’ve been part of my church’s RCIA program since May, and my Rite of Welcome will take place this Sunday (September 26th). I’m so excited, but I’m also a little nervous because I have no idea what it will entail! I’ve never seen a Rite of Welcome.

The Rite of Welcome/Acceptance is a way to tell your congregation that you have completed a period of inquiry, where you have learned some of the basic information about the Catholic Church and that you choose to continue learning more deeply and that with the Lord leading you, you hope to join the church at Easter.

Hope this clarifies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.