Rite of Welcome

I’m in RCIA, and our Rite of Welcome was scheduled for last weekend. But it was canceled, and there doesn’t seem to be any attempt to reschedule. Is this unusual? Is the Rite of Welcome a necessary part of the RCIA process?

Hm. I have never hear of this…
I don’t think I went through that when I was in RCIA.

From what I’ve read about it, it seems to be a big deal.

Yes, it is a part of RCIA. Most people know it as the Rite of Acceptance, which is the name for this ceremony for Catechumens where as the Rite of Welcome is for Candidates.

Just looking at the liturgical Calendar, the church is pretty busy with major holy days until late January. Perhaps you’ll hear more about a rescheduled date then? Why don’t you ask them?

The USCCB website gives a very full explanation of the RCIA (link below). It mentions the Rite of Acceptance, which takes place at an early stage, followed at a later stage by the Rite of Election. Could “Rite of Welcome” possibly be an alternative name for the Rite of Acceptance?

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/who-we-teach/rite-of-christian-initiation-of-adults/index.cfm

[Edit]
Now I see that @mrsdizzyd already answered this question!

I believe the Rite of Welcome is optional (and different from the Rite of Acceptance where inquirers become catechumens). After the Rite of Welcome candidates are still candidates.

I know two parishes that I go to sometimes that do this rite and another that doesn’t

It seems I would need the Rite of Acceptance since I need to be baptized. I will ask Father when I get the chance.

While they are different Rites, they are often celebrated together in a combined rite.

Depends on the reason for cancellation, but I would imagine it’ll be rescheduled later. The timing isn’t terribly critical.

In the USA edition of the book “Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults” there is a “Rite of Welcoming the Candidates”. It is not in the original Latin or the Australian edition. It is clearly optional:

“OPTIONAL RITES FOR BAPTIZED BUT UNCATECHIZED ADULTS
4A. RITE OF WELCOMING THE CANDIDATES …
411. This optional rite welcomes baptized but previously uncatechized adults who are seeking to complete their Christian initiation through the sacraments of confirmation and eucharist or to be received into the full communion of the Catholic Church.”

[From The Rites Volume One, Pueblo Publishing Company Inc, 1990, ISBN 0814660150, page 248. Excerpts from Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults © 1985, International Commission on English in the Liturgy Corporation. All rights reserved.]

We did it when I was in RCIA and it was interesting. A good number, probably about half, did not attend though so that would lead me to believe it is optional but I don’t know for sure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.