Rob Ford controversy makes international headlines

cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-controversy-makes-international-headlines-1.1380964

By now everybody must have heard about Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. Back in May of this year the Toronto Star reported that a video of him smoking crack cocaine was seen by its reporters from a drug dealer.

gawker.com/for-sale-a-video-of-toronto-mayor-rob-ford-smoking-cra-507736569

For a long while after the news of this surfaced, Ford remained silent on the authenticity of this. Then he came out and said the following:

“I do not use crack cocaine, nor am I an addict of crack cocaine,” Mr. Ford declared, staring defiantly at the tangle of cameras and microphones jammed into the comparatively tiny protocol lounge.
“As for a video,” the mayor continued, “I cannot comment on a video that I have never seen or does not exist. It is most unfortunate, very unfortunate, that my colleagues and the great people of this city have been exposed to the fact that I have been judged by the media without any evidence.” He refused to take reporters’ questions.

news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/24/rob-ford-says-crack-cocaine-allegations-have-taken-a-great-toll-on-his-family-after-week-long-silence/

Then about 2 weeks ago, the Chief of Police for Toronto came out and said that the video is true.

At which point Ford said he did do it but still says he was truthful before because he spoke in the present tense.

For more of a timeline click here:

news.nationalpost.com/2013/10/31/rob-ford-a-timeline-of-the-continuing-controversy-engulfing-the-citys-mayor/

The Mayor has his loyal supporters because he has successfully portrayed himself as a hero for the Working class and cutting waste (wasteful spending).

He will run for re-election in about a year from now and won’t step down to get help.

Should he step down? Would you vote for him if you could?

Yes to the first, no to the second.

To me there is no greater irresponsibility than illegal drug use. Someone who does that, ITASM, forfeits the trust necessary to public office.

ICXC NIKA

Washington DC’s Marion Barry was re-elected:

From his wiki page: *His celebrity transformed into international notoriety in January 1990, when Barry was videotaped smoking crack cocaine and arrested by FBI officials on drug charges. The arrest and subsequent trial precluded Barry seeking re-election, and Barry served six months in a federal prison. After his release, however, he was elected to the DC city council in 1992 and ultimately returned to the mayoralty in 1994, serving from 1995 to 1999.

Despite his history of political and legal controversies, Barry remains a popular and influential figure in the local political scene of Washington, D.C.* Link Here.

He is still on the District Council so anything is possible…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.