Robin Williams Attacks Catholic Priests and Points Out Lack of Consequences

We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Link

0 Likes

Robin Williams must be really running out of funny if he has to stoop to that sort of “humor”. Pathetic.

0 Likes

If anyone were to wonder what flippancy is, he could just look at what Williams is up to these days. The sad thing is that it presented as, and some accept it as, wit.

Blessings,

Gerry

0 Likes

It is so sad to see such vulgarity. An intelligent person would not generalize like that! Is he not aware how much the percentage is so much higher for fathers of family, or the percentage is higher in the protestant faith? Such anti-catholicism is so maddening! :mad: It would be like saying that all men are pedophiles for ehaven’s sake!:mad: I am on a rant!:mad:

Anti-catholicism is rampant these days…and right within my own family! Let us pray for Robin and please pray for my family as they even think the same thing (husband, son, etc.:crying: )

0 Likes

Indeed. Williams is simply another wise-***** using ammunition provided by the Church. The US bishops openly invited this catastrophe. The ridicule is a minor side show to the Church’s serious self-inflicted wounds.

0 Likes

Unfortunately I have to totally agree with you. :frowning:

But it is also true that we Catholics will not stand up to defend our own faith so people like Williams can get away with this stuff, and worse people can actually get away with murder of Catholics.

How much outrage was there in the world when some Muslims (just 2 weeks ago) attacked a church, murdered the priest and (I think) 2 deacons, then they converted the church to a mosque! Did we Catholics hear about it in our Sunday mass from our local priest? Did the press report this? Did we march in the streets to show the Muslim world we were upset?

Heck when a Danish newspaper posted a cartoon of Muhammad with a bomb in his turban the whole of the Muslim world erupted . . . but when our own are murdered and our church is desecrated we sit on our hands. So when Robin Williams makes fun of priests what do you expect is going to happen. NOT A DARN THING!!!

He knows it and he is right. We are at fault. :frowning:

0 Likes

Shame on Robin Williams. I hope he hears from millions of Catholics on this one. It was a calculated risk and obviously Catholics don’t complain. Look at all that Rosie O’Donnell has said, and she got away with it, didn’t she?

Does anyone have a link that we can use to complain to someone?

0 Likes

We can only pray for Robin Williams. I use to respect the guy. Now I’m not really sure if I should respect him. Consider that I am discerning the priesthood, he might as well call me a pedophilia.

Second celibacy is a choice. Men in the seminary decided this and they were called by God to be the servants of his people.

0 Likes

a lot of people complained about her catholic or not. She has a talent of offending a lot of people, I’ve read of many people who agree of her, but don’t like her attitude. However, since the show had high ratings because people wanted to see what she might say next ABC didn’t do anything.

I’m not surprised Robin Williams did that. Didn’t Jay Leno pick on preist a couple times himself. It is something comedians “joke” about for years.

0 Likes

Anything we say in return will be discredited because the whole scandal situation is unanswerable. Whatever outrage we feel should be nothing compared to the outrage that was NOT exercised against the perpetrators of the offenses.

Never mind that Catholic priests far from the only group and do not even have the worst incidence of this among their ranks.

Pray the *miserere *and offer it up.

0 Likes

This reminds me of what Isaiah the prophet says.

Isaiah 28:8 For all tables were full of vomit and filth, so that there was no more place.

This serves as a warning to Catholics who lack good deeds.

0 Likes

Reminds me of what Matthew 23 says.

Matthew 23:1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to his disciples, 2 Saying: The scribes and the Pharisees have sitten on the chair of Moses. 3 All things therefore whatsoever they shall say to you, observe and do: but according to their works do ye not; for they say, and do not. 4 For they bind heavy and insupportable burdens, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but with a finger of their own they will not move them. 5 And all their works they do for to be seen of men. For they make their phylacteries broad, and enlarge their fringes. 6 And they love the first places at feasts, and the first chairs in the synagogues, 7 And salutations in the market place, and to be called by men, Rabbi. 8 But be not you called Rabbi. For one is your master; and all you are brethren. 9 And call none your father upon earth; for one is your father, who is in heaven. 10 Neither be ye called masters; for one is you master, Christ.
11 He that is the greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled: and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. 13 But woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men, for you yourselves do not enter in; and those that are going in, you suffer not to enter. 14 Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites: because you devour the houses of widows, praying long prayers. For this you shall receive the greater judgment. 15 Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; because you go round about the sea and the land to make one proselyte; and when he is made, you make him the child of hell twofold more than yourselves.
16 Woe to you blind guides, that say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but he that shall swear by the gold of the temple, is a debtor. 17 Ye foolish and blind; for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold? 18 And whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gift that is upon it, is a debtor. 19 Ye blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift? 20 He therefore that sweareth by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things that are upon it:
21 And whosoever shall swear by temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth in it: 22 And he that sweareth by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon. 23 Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; because you tithe mint, and anise, and cummin, and have left the weightier things of the law; judgment, and mercy, and faith. These things you ought to have done, and not to leave those undone. 24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat, and swallow a camel. 25 Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; because you make clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but within you are full of rapine and uncleanness.
26 Thou blind Pharisee, first make clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, that the outside may become clean. 27 Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; because you are like to whited sepulchres, which outwardly appear to men beautiful, but within are full of dead men’s bones, and of all filthiness. 28 So you also outwardly indeed appear to men just; but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. 29 Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; that build the sepulchres of the prophets, and adorn the monuments of the just, 30 And say: If we had been in the days of our Fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore you are witnesses against yourselves, that you are the sons of them that killed the prophets. 32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. 33 You serpents, generation of vipers, how will you flee from the judgment of hell? 34 Therefore behold I send to you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them you will put to death and crucify, and some you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city: 35 That upon you may come all the just blood that hath been shed upon the earth, from the blood of Abel the just, even unto the blood of Zacharias the son of Barachias, whom you killed between the temple and the altar.

0 Likes

Woah! Did you see that?!? All my respect for him just flew right out the window!! Just remember what Jesus said “When the world hates you, remember, it hated me first.” The Church will always be persecuted, it just makes me angry that we sit around and do nothing. We have every right to free speech, why not use it?!!??!

0 Likes

Why does any of this surprise anyone?

OF COURSE Robin Williams, and everybody like him, are going to attack the Church and her clergy.

They’ve been doing it since the beginning of time!

0 Likes

What have you done about it?
[LIST]
*]Have you written a short letter to your local newspaper yet?[LIST]
*]If you have more than one, did you send it to all the local papers?[/LIST]
*]Have you written a note to the Jay Leno/Tonight Show producer yet?
*]Have you written to any of the ADVERTISERS who spend big money to have their products featured on the Tonight Show?
*]Have you called into the local radio talk show in your area to complain?[/LIST]I’m not trying to pick on you specifically but these are the things we need to do to be heard. And we need to do it in large numbers! And we need to do it EVERY TIME we see this type of attack on our faith.

0 Likes

I agree with a few on here who implied it’s beneath him. He is very intelligent and I’ve always appreciated his talent. It’s a cheap laugh for a comic to use.

0 Likes

I just don’t even see this as an “attack” or a “joke”.

It’s cheap humor.

Sadly, right now the ‘image’ of a Catholic priest can be made a caricature pretty easily. The caricature always revolves around sex somehow…either it’s of a bishop blasting a politician over abortion…or a priest abusing little boys. Neither does justice to the work the good men of the priesthood are doing.

The way we as a church handled matters about sex in the last 40 years has a lot to do with the caricature, which is unfortunate.

0 Likes

Who cares what RW says about anything? I think we do ourselves harm with this constant “seeking worldy approval.”

RW is attached completely to the world and cannot “see” anything of importance (at least not that he makes know). So, why should we care one bit about such a wordly person?

Be in the world, not of the world.

0 Likes

Well…I think it’s worth caring what people think about the church when the things they think are flat out incorrect or perversions of fact.

And who are you to say that this guy is ‘attached to the world’?

Pretending to seize the moral high ground by misquoting plenary councils of the church doesn’t really help get to the heart of the matter.

0 Likes

Agreed-the American Bishops have reaped what they sowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.