rock and a hard place...

I have been battling with an issue that is almost driving me crazy (i think this would be the right thread). Before I became Catholic, I joined the masons (2010) and went on to become a shriner. Of course, this was done in good faith as I had no calling at the time to join the RCC which was a couple years ago. I also had no idea that there was such a beef from the RCC regarding the masons. Currently, I do not see myself as anything more than a dues paying member as I am having a hard time surrendering my membership. The members of my lodge are super guys and considering its a small town, there will certainly be some social ramifications. I talked to a long standing member of the lodge and stated to him that I am considering leaving the fraternity and of course he asked me to seriously reconsider after genuinely congratulated me on becoming Catholic. All of these guys are Christian from all denominations and even the dinner prayer always ends “in Jesus name”. We all know the Shrine has only one goal which is to support the children’s hospitals and there is, and never has been, any sort of plot against the RCC.

So you may be asking, what am I whining about (lol)? Well, I have spoken to 2 priests and of course they highly advised me to denounce masonry. I know there are some Catholics here that are masons as well so I would appreciate some advice. I read a long article from Catholic Culture and the angle they took was it would be ok to just be a “passive member” meaning paying dues and engaging in the charity work. I gathered it would not be ok to become an officer and actually go through the ritual.

Any case, this is a very intense struggle and I certainly do not want to have to refrain from the Eucharist but I just cannot see where being a member (inactive or non-practicing) is mortal sin. Could it be because I haven’t been convicted that is wrong thus lacking the “knowledge of grave sin” or number 2 requirement for mortal sin?

Sorry if I sound a little nuts so please bare with me. Thanks so much.

If Jesus said we should be willing to “hate” our father and mother, surely Masonic dues are included in the call to “hate” for His sake. If they really are great guys, they’ll understand. You don’t have to stop being friends!

I think St. Mary’s in Annapolis - the largest parish in the diocese - just might have a Knights of Columbus chapter… Or Severna Park… That would be a good refocusing of that energy and desire. PM me if ya like.

St Mary’s - I used to go there in the late 70’s when I was a midshipman! They did have a KofC

catholic.com/quickquestions/what-does-the-church-say-about-freemasonry

Social ramifications? Are you more concerned with pleasing God or men? In St. Paul’s letter to the Galatians he states:

“Am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still pleasing men, I should not be a servant of Christ.” (Galatians 1:10)

To answer your question in regard to Freemasonry, I suggest you watch this interview with former 32nd degree Mason and Shriner John Salza. John clearly outlines the reasons why Freemasonry is incompatible with the Christian faith. Here’s also the link to his website.

Furthermore, here’s a document from the Vatican website concerning the Irreconcilability between Christian faith and Freemasonry.

Lastly, the self curses and oaths taken in Freemasonry are real. They must not only be confessed but, they must also be renounced. Renouncing takes back the ground given over to Satan. I have attached a Prayer of Release for Freemasons and Their Descendants. After Confession, you need to take it to a priest and have him pray it with you. I was informed by a priest that it make take a second reading.

I cannot stress the spiritual danger here, not only for your soul but the souls of your loved ones. The prayer includes the descendants of Freemasons for a reason. You see, the oaths taken in Freemasonry are blood oaths and because of this you have also bound your family and opened them up to evil. Renouncing, will close the doors that were opened up to Satan and restore you and your family to the territory of Christ.

You’ll read that as a part of the prayer you will also be required to destroy all Masonic jewelry, books, regalia and so forth. It will also be beneficial to thereafter have your home blessed by a priest.

God bless you and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Freemasonry and Catholicism are completely incompatible. If a Catholic is also a mason (even a passive paid up member) then they are committing a sin of grave matter. A Catholic must give up all ties to this organisation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.