Rock is dead, says Gene Simmons

cnn.com/2014/09/08/showbiz/music/rock-is-dead-gene-simmons-esquire/

One of the comments that mentioned hip-hop made me wonder, why hasn’t online piracy killed that genre? :confused:

This is going to sound crazy coming from me but if I hear one more song about big butts and payphones, I’m gonna El Kabong the poor sucka playing it.

Rock 'n roll died not long after Abbey Road.

Who is Gene Simmons? :smiley:

Jon

thanks to a crumbling business model, including “file-sharing and downloading” by fans who believe they “were entitled to have something for free” – “rock is finally dead.”

Thats not exclusive to any particular genre of music. Is it?

Given the thriving popularity of hip-hop, pop, and dance, I actually think that’s a very good question.

This must be a generational thing. In college I had a teacher who got his doctorate on Palestrina. He thought Bach was too modern. Oops. My age is showing. :blush: As of yesterday our choir was practicing Panis Angelicus by Palestrina, although I prefer the more familiar version by César Franck. This director is younger than me, so some music must be timeless. I am not sure who will care about either Rock or Hip Hop in 400 years. Maybe all those dead white guys knew something before they started decomposing.

PS. Who knew what Gene Simmons would look like without the makeup?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

On a related note :p, does anyone else think modern popular music is insipid? I’m hoping Gregorian chant makes a comeback. :smiley:

Here’s another surprise, I relatively enjoy modern popular music. Just because I hate one genre doesn’t mean I should hate the period. :wink:

Today’s era of accessible tunes isn’t defined by one genre. It’s defined by you, the listener. Gregorian chant doesn’t need to make a comeback. It’s already there and you have the liberty to listen to it, much like everyone has the liberty of listening to any other.

If you ask me, I think the headphones is the only real defining feature of today’s music. It symbolically represents our new capacity to listen to what we want. :whacky:

I think I might just add songs about foxes to my El Kabong Hit List. Seriously, earphones. Must afford you soon! :eek: Guitars are expensive!

I dont know about that, I remember we all had headphones back in the mid 80s, so its not exactly a new thing, plus we could listen to whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted back then as well, we all had walkmans, so portable music is not really new either. the things they have today are just upgrades of old technology, not something entirely new, kids today dont understand that, but adults know it to be true.

Im truly waiting for the next big thing in music though (not more upgrades of old technology either)…cant imagine what it could be, but I think we are about due for it!

If people would not engage in piracy which is the sin of theft then this wouldn’t be such a huge problem.

Rock and Roll Is Here to Stay, It Will Never Die.

I tend to agree. There isn’t much good rock and roll going on anymore. I do think it was inevitable as popular music has become more fragmented: instead of “rock n’ roll” you have all the different kinds of popular music - rap, country-pop, pop, metal, thrash (or whatever they are calling the “music” that features guttural screams accompanied by monotonous guitars and rhythmic thumping played by creatures that one would expect to see in a horror movie. Popular music isn’t dead - almost by definition that will never quite die. But rock - as a genre is probably dead, except for the occasional band that puts out an album (do they still make those?) that is successful. Part of the reason is that rock by its nature always pushed the envelope - but there really isn’t any new direction to go in now. Long hair? Done (the 60’s). Spiky hair? Done (70’s-80’s). Drugs? Done - the 60’s, 70’s,80’s90’s). Tattoos ? Done. Rock and roll was about rebellion. But what would one rebel against now ? Perhaps the new rebels will wear short, clean cut hair, and eschew nose piercings and tattoos. And sing about family values. Nah. Popular music pushes the envelope in the way that our secular culture pushes moral relativism: thus gay marriage is celebrated in the lyrics of a popular song: I can’t change - even if I wanted to… She keeps me warm" Popular music/rock is now just an arm of the prevailing secular culture - and ironically as conformist as the squares that rockers used to rebel against in the 50’s and 60’s.

Its hard to imagine a David Bowie happen now. Or a Beatles. Or Crosby Stills & Nash, or The Police. I think that American roots music will continue - jazz, blues, country, folk etc. will continue in their purer forms, but rock - as we knew it from the 50’s - 90’s (grunge being the last gasp of rock) is probably dead, except for the tribute/nostalgia bands.

As our culture continues to decline, expect to see less and less artistic and musical talent and more schlock masquerading as talent.

I will still play and listen - and ply the vaults for rock that I’ve yet to discover. But it is a dwindling supply. I do like to see the reaction on the faces of young people as they discover the Beatles for the first time. Or some other great band or artist. There are still many, many great bands that rock fans have yet to discover.

Ishii

In my opinion the music these days except for some songs that I like are rather dull. With good voice editing it makes the artist seem perfect hear them live and they sound terrible.

Hrmm. I think this might be a good demonstration of the difference between liberty and license. For instance, a person can, if he so chooses, listen to Beyonce or the like, but a person can also stick his hand in a meat grinder. Such is license. True liberty is the ability to listen to actually good music, which of course is defined as exactly the same thing as the music that I personally happen to like. Obviously.

That is true, there is really no other direction they can take today, nothing to really rebel against like decades past. Plus, I noticed around the year 2001, mostly all young people started listening to rap/ hip hop, gone were the clicks once popular in high school, now, they all basically listen to the same thing, this is around the same time MTV went to airing mostly rap videos as well. When I was in high school, there lots of clicks, rap was popular, but not with everyone, only that click , there were the punk rocker, lots of tall mohawks, leather jackets, and tight pants, they were mostly listening to anti-govt music, anti- maggie thatcher, of course all that is all gone now, there were other clicks as well, with their own musical tastes, its strange today, all this has kind of merged into one click.

That is pretty strange that we have reached such a plateau in this regard…what will music be like in 20 yrs? just constantly re-doing the same things already done for years? That is very sad imo.

Pretty much everyone existing from 1983 until somewhere around 1999? :stuck_out_tongue:

And Gene Simmons – a guy who rose to fame wearing flamboyant face paint and engaging in long-tongue theatrics – would never speak hyperbolically. Never, ever, ever in a million, billion, trillion years! :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose I can see his point. There are a lot of new pop artists coming around, but there aren’t really any newer rock bands that have the longevity and prominence that a band like Kiss has had.

But I wouldn’t say that rock has died as much as I’d say it has diversified and become less mainstream as a result. I am always finding new bands and music that I like and that do what they do well. But it’s not something they play on the radio or that sells out stadiums (at least, not in the U.S.).

The Ramones figured this out years ago!

youtube.com/watch?v=kJizV-d3sEQ

:slight_smile:

As did Lenny Kravitz. Now the Ramones - there was a rock band.

Ishii

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.