Roger Ebert the film critic attends film festival after cancer surgery

:slight_smile: news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/us-film-critic-ebert-soaks-up-fan/n20070425232209990008

Roger Ebert is battling a disfiguring and life threatening salivary gland cancer which has left him unable to speak due to a tracheostomy. He attended his own film festival in Champaign IL at the Univ.of Illinois. However, he attended with his devoted wife despite friends who discouraged him because of his changed appearance. His response was…this is how illness looks, we cannot cover it up. " And frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn!"
Good for you! We are praying that you will live a long life, cancer-free!

Hi, stbruno, I agree with you. I saw a brief clip about this on the news, & thought it was very courageous of him. I know very little about Roger Ebert, & I am definitely not comparing him to Pope John Paul, but when I saw this on the news, I couldn’t help thinking of him. It’s courageous to show us what salivary gland cancer looks like, & Pope John Paul was also courageous & refused to hide the suffering that Parkinson’s caused.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.