Roger Goodell on Rush Limbaugh: 'Divisive comments' have no place in the NFL [Is this fair?]

So Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the National Football League, and other are trying to prevent Rush Limbaugh from being even being considered to be a part owner in the St Louis Rams. This is absurd.
content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/10/roger-goodell-on-rush-limbaugh-divisive-comments-have-no-place-in-the-nfl/1

There are all kinds of people saying that Rush should not be able to own the Rams because of his divisive words and his political views. Well I don’t remember those same folks all up in arms when the Pittsburgh Steelers owner supported Obama to be President.
usnews.com/blogs/news-desk/2008/04/15/the-pittsburgh-steelers-owner-backs-underdog-obama-in-the-pennsylvania-primary.html
I also do not hear those same people crying that NBC has the Sunday night football game every week and Keith Olbermann is one of the commentators. Olbermann is one of the most liberal, biased, and divisive individuals on TV or the radio today. NBC is also owned by G.E. which is receiving all kinds of Government help and contracts because of the support Obama received from CEO Jeffrey Immelt.

What does everyone else think?

I listen to Rush.

And he is saying he is going to sue… the words they are saying he said… never happened.

This is ridiculous… convicted criminals are allowed to play football but someone excersing thier free speech is subject to all this nonsense?

The NFL is run like a kind of politically correct kiddified cabal. They pick and choose based on their own ideology. If a coach speaks out, he is fined. Michael Vick is allowed to return to making millions after raping and killing scores of animals. Rush Limbaugh is not allowed to be a part-owner because of his political statements. The inconsistencies are infinite and clearly indicate the mentality of the modern NFL.

They should focus on making football a solid sport. Leave the pink clothes, hispanic heritage month, and all the other feel-good adventures to the commercials. That’s where they can make a difference rather than jamming their views onto the viewers during the game. But the glory days of football are unlikely to return…

As far as Rush and racism goes, just look at the starters for every single NFL team. They are over 80% black. On defense, it’s almost 100% black. Where are the other races? Korean? Japanese? Latino? White? So much for inclusion. If the players were 80% white, we’d hear nothing but complaints. The commissioner claims that Limbaugh is divisive. It’s a joke.

Having said all that, as long as people go to the stadiums and pay those ticket prices, there will be no change.

For the sake of competitive balance, the league can’t let Limbaugh buy the Rams. How many players do you think feel like Mathias Kiwanuka? Besides, he’d be worse than Al Davis; he thinks he knows football, and he really Davis. Davis, at least, knew something about football at one time in his life.

As far as Rush and racism goes, just look at the starters for every single NFL team. They are over 80% black. On defense, it’s almost 100% black. Where are the other races? Korean? Japanese? Latino? White? So much for inclusion. If the players were 80% white, we’d hear nothing but complaints. The commissioner claims that Limbaugh is divisive. It’s a joke.

Oh come on. That’s a load of nonsense. These NFL coaches are obsessed with winning to a fault, and they’ll sabotage their own chances…why, again? Bill Parcells favors black players over white players? Jon Gruden valued anything else more than winning? John Fox is secretly racist towards blacks? Bill Belicheck hates whites?

Huh??

Michael Vick has raped scores of animals?? Could you provide a news link to support that?

The NFL is run like a kind of politically correct kiddified cabal. They pick and choose based on their own ideology. If a coach speaks out, he is fined. Michael Vick is allowed to return to making millions after raping and killing scores of animals. Rush Limbaugh is not allowed to be a part-owner because of his political statements. The inconsistencies are infinite and clearly indicate the mentality of the modern NFL.

I won’t say it is a politically correct kiddified cabal, but I will say that it is Rome to the Greece of all the sports leagues out there. MLB, NHL, the NBA…all are run out of the teams themselves. Thanks to the efforts of the greatest commissioner in sports history, Pete Rozelle, the NFL is run out of the commissioner’s office. The league rules with an iron fist, and because of that, they are the most successful league in American sports. Its why they were able to respond swiftly and implement steroid testing, and its why they haven’t had a work stoppage since 1987.

I think that Rush is trying to bring some backing for a team in his home state. He is not the majority owner. All of this has to do with his stance on issues and not on his investment in a home team. And I proffer that he does know quite a bit about football. Additionally, he will be an owner, albeit a minority one, not a coach.

He has been dropped as a minority owner.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous when you are refused the opportunity to buy property based on your political views. To me, it is not discrmination but rather your basic right to exercise your freedom of speech has been violated.

Liberals are big mean bullies who do NOT believe in free speech. But that is not surprising because they really don’t believe in any of our constitutional rights. Look at what happened to Glen Beck–all the major sponsors pulled out of his show because he disagreed with the president.

Were you this upset when the Dixie Chicks’ careers suffered because of conservative boycotts?

Limbaugh’s political views are beside the point. I’ll bet some current team owners are just as conservative as he is.

Limbaugh is a polarizing figure, and the NFL doesn’t want polarizing figures. It doesn’t want player revolts. It doesn’t want pressure on sponsors. It’s not personal. It’s business.

Limbaugh knows nothing about football. He can’t even recognize that Donovan McNabb is a top-quality quarterback; I knew that when I was 8 years old and McNabb was playing at Syracuse. Besides, knowing a little bit about football makes you very dangerous as an owner; look at how much damage Dan Snyder has done to the Redskins, or what Al Davis, who once knew football like the back of his hands, has done to the Raiders. Or even Matt Millen to the Lions.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous when you are refused the opportunity to buy property based on your political views. To me, it is not discrmination but rather your basic right to exercise your freedom of speech has been violated.

Liberals are big mean bullies who do NOT believe in free speech. But that is not surprising because they really don’t believe in any of our constitutional rights. Look at what happened to Glen Beck–all the major sponsors pulled out of his show because he disagreed with the president.

Two points:

1. Free speech does not mean that others are not allowed to respond to your free speech.

2. The NFL is a closed club, basically. They don’t want the controversy Limbaugh would bring to the Rams. League policy has always been to shut up and play football, as best as they can enforce it, and especially now under Goodell. Do you really think that if the Rams lose a close game, Limbaugh won’t rip the refs on his show? The NFL sure doesn’t want that. What if a high-profile free agent says he won’t play for Limbaugh because he’s a bigot, or what if a draft pick won’t sign? Again, not exactly something the NFL wants. The league’s ideal owner is still Wellington Mara or a Rooney, and Rush Limbaugh will never be a Wellington Mara or a Rooney, or even a Modell or a Rosenbloom. They barely put up with Al Davis, and he’s been around since 1960.

IMHO, Limbaugh killed his chances years ago when he interjected race into his statement on McNabb, Is McNabb overrated? Absolutely. Is he overrated because of his race? No. There’s plenty of overhyped players in the NFL. McNabb just happens to be, according to all reports I’ve seen, one of the nicest guys in the world. The media always went easy on him because he was always willing to grant interviews, was one of nicest guys, and a very charitable guy. The media cuts “nice guys” breaks all the time, it had nothing to do with race and by throwing that into the mix Limbaugh ruined himself in football circles.

Limbaugh dropped from group seeking to buy Rams… tinyurl.com/yh52rc8

Free speech means you cannot be arrested/legally punished for said speech. Free speech does not mean people have to agree with your or associate with you if they don’t like your views. If people were advocating Limbaugh go to jail or be fined for saying what he says, I’d agree with you. People here boycott stuff all the time - that’s exercising their right to free “speech” when another group says something they disagree with on abortion etc.

As they say on Rush’s show “megga dittos”

I also do not hear those same people crying that NBC has the Sunday night football game every week and Keith Olbermann is one of the commentators. Olbermann is one of the most liberal, biased, and divisive individuals on TV or the radio today. NBC is also owned by G.E. which is receiving all kinds of Government help and contracts because of the support Obama received from CEO Jeffrey Immelt.

Here’s the key difference: Olbermann has not made politics out of football. I watch Football Night in America all the time, and all he does is narrate. On the other hand, Limbaugh’s brief tenure as an ESPN commentator did see him try to make a political point with football, and he did by attacking one of the most respected players in the league.

Once again you have made a statement that contains your OPINION with no facts to back it up. Just because you dislike Rush is no reason to make statement like that when you don’t know the man and have no discerable facts to back them up.

Michael Vick raping animals? Get a grip, lad.

As far as Rushbo goes, he pays the price of his celebritydom (if that is that a word…). The left has launched a particularly vicious campaign against him and I am deeply sympathetic.

What Rush said about Donavan McNabb being less than talented but trading on the NFL’s PC desires to have a black quarterback was interesting but hardly racist – it amazes me how little the media understands what racist really means. The comment should have provoked an exchange of why there are so few black quarterbacks but brought Rush a boatload of grief from those who wish to control speech.

I don’t know why Rush would even WANT to be an NFL owner. The NFL does have a wonderful product and I enjoy it as much as the next guy but as an organization they are so PC creepy and intolerant on the one hand and uncontrollably druggy criminal on the other. Surely Rush can find better use for his money. I know I could.

Good grief. Stating that people would like to see a black quarterback succeed is “attacking” the quarterback? And it’s a political comment?

Liberal logic at its finest, folks.

Back to the subject: had his group’s bid gone through, Limbaugh would have had a minority stake with absolutely no say in the operations of the team.

Now he’s in the impossible position of having to prove a negative, with the left again pulling that excrable “fake but accurate” nonsense that CBS/Mary Mapes/Dan Rather attempted to do with their silly fabricated memo about George W. Bush. “He might not have said it but he could have” does not cut it. Either he said it or he didn’t, and it is on the accuser to prove that he did.

I really hope that Rush sues every single person involved in this. I hope he sues them for libel and slander as appropriate, for as much money as he can get. And the “journalists” lending their voices to this deserve to be run out the business, just like Dan Rather was. “Fake but accurate” is not journalism. It is slander.

I agree…
For these people to be stating what he said as fact without ever checking to see if it was ever said is irresponsible.

I hope he sues too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.