Role in the Church

I am not yet a catholic (I have received a baptism of desire). I am just wondering what role I can have in the Church. Can I be an alter server, bearer of gifts, or reader?

Assuming you are an adult, you can serve the Church best at this point by signing up for your local RCIA. There you may become an Inquirer, a Catechumen and a Candidate in stages as you learn the Faith and move toward possible baptism and full membership.

These are important and very ancient roles in the Church, and they are vital for not only your own spiritual journey, but that of your fellow parishioners. When you have become a full-fledged member of the Church, you’ll have a better idea of where and how to serve others in the Church.

Good luck and God bless you!

?? You could not do much in the Church if you received Baptism of Desire, because you would be dead. Baptism of Desire is when someone publicly requests Sacramental Baptism, but dies before being able to receive it.

Once you have been officially received into the Catholic Church (which will require instruction - and water baptism by the priest if you have not been previously baptized), you can check with the pastor to see about becoming an altar server. Do not be surprised tho if he feels it would be wiser to spend some time first learning more about Catholic teaching and practices.

I see on your profile that you are 16 years old. Readers at Sunday Mass are usually adult - but there are exceptions. The bearers of gifts can be any age; the method of choosing varies in different parishes.

God bless you in your journey,
Nita

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.