Role of charity in justification

Can some one help me answer this doubt in the doctrine of justification? What if one has faith but failed to have charity, will he be saved?

This link might help answer your question Johnpeter073. (Especially the second half of that CAF post)

God bless.

Cathoholic

If a person does not have charity (is not a in a state of grace via a mortal sin) and die in that state - they choose to not be saved. Now is it possible even to the last moment for them to be restored? It is possible. So no one should ever give up hope.

That is the reason for the great gift of Confession.

Pope Benedict XVI on St. Paul on Faith and Charity etc

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2008/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20081119_en.html

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2008/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20081126_en.html (scroll down)

Plus earlier one:

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2006/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20061108_en.html

Here’s Augustine on it: “Without love faith can indeed exist but avails nothing”.
And St Paul:
"…if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing".
**“Now these three remain, faith, hope, and love, but the greatest of these is love.” **1 Cor 13
Justice or holiness are absent without love. As the Council of Trent, session 6, stated, "For faith, unless hope and charity be added thereto, neither unites man perfectly with Christ, nor makes him a living member of His body. For which reason it is most truly said, that Faith without works is dead and profitless…"
and:
"faith is the beginning of human salvation, the foundation, and the root of all Justification…"
Faith is the beginning, because it constitutes restored relationship between man and God, ‘apart from Whom we can do nothing’ John 15:5. But faith, alone, isn’t sufficient. God does further work in us. So the Church teaches:
1991 Justification is at the same time the acceptance of God’s righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ. Righteousness (or “justice”) here means the rectitude of divine love. With justification, faith, hope, and charity are poured into our hearts, and obedience to the divine will is granted us.

Thanks for the St. Augustine quote on this fhansen.

Justified through the gift of faith in Christ, we are called to live in the love of Christ for neighbour, because it is on this criterion that we shall be judged at the end of our lives. In reality Paul only repeats what Jesus himself said and which is proposed to us anew by last Sunday’s Gospel, in the parable of the Last Judgment. In the First Letter to the Corinthians St Paul pours himself out in a famous eulogy of love. It is called the “hymn to love”:

I’m going to hang onto this one. Good information.

Likewise thanks to Bookcat for the Pope Benedict links.

This portion of one of the links is particularly relevant.

Justified through the gift of faith in Christ, we are called to live in the love of Christ for neighbour, because it is on this criterion that we shall be judged at the end of our lives. In reality Paul only repeats what Jesus himself said and which is proposed to us anew by last Sunday’s Gospel, in the parable of the Last Judgment. In the First Letter to the Corinthians St Paul pours himself out in a famous eulogy of love. It is called the “hymn to love”:

Also the Greatest Commandments reveal love to be the very definition of justice for man. And I never tire of the statement of St John of the Cross, which is quoted in the catechism:
"At the evening of life we shall be judged on our love".

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.