I am taking a History of Christianity class this Summer Session, and we have two graduate students. Part of their grade is based on presentations they make to the class. Today, one of the grad students gave a presentation on the “Cult of the Virgin Mary”.
Various things were mentioned in the presentation that I questions, but more specifically were the prescribed roles of Mary. Here is what was presented (with ? for those I am most confused about).
Can any of you explain these to me, where they come from, etc?
Roles of Virgin Mary
- The second Eve and Mother of all the living
- Presides over peace and war (?)
- Guardian of cities and people
- Protectress of virgins
- Healer and midwife (?)
- Through her Son, she can being fertility and consolation to the living
- Resuscitating sinners and sustaining the damned
- Delivering souls from purgatory
- Reprieve for the sufferings of sinners after death
- Mother of Mercy
- pleads humanities cause before the seat of God
(transforms the God of Justice into a God of Mercy)