'Rolling Stone' admits Bieber misquote on abortion

Rolling Stone has revealed that an “editing error” resulted in Justin Bieber’s comments on abortion being misquoted.

In an interview with the magazine, the 16-year-old said that he does not agree with abortion and appeared to make a controversial statement regarding pregnancies that are a result of rape.

However, Rolling Stone has since spoken out to clarify the remarks.

“Due to an editing error, this story originally included an incomplete quote from Justin Bieber,” the magazine explained.

“The full quote, his response to whether abortions should be allowed in cases of rape, reads, ‘Um. Well, I think that’s really sad, but everything happens for a reason.* I don’t know how that would be a reason.* I guess I haven’t been in that position, so I wouldn’t be able to judge that.’”

digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a304449/rolling-stone-admits-bieber-misquote.html

That changes the context. How do you just leave something like that out?!

He's a celebrity, he needs to protect his image. But I would say this is a good sign rather than those celebs who use their popularity to push the pro-death agenda. Him playing it safe tells me he's pro-life but he'd rather not publicly take sides so as not to harm his popularity.

[quote="Abyssinia, post:1, topic:229553"]
Rolling Stone has revealed that an "editing error" resulted in Justin Bieber's comments on abortion being misquoted.

In an interview with the magazine, the 16-year-old said that he does not agree with abortion and appeared to make a controversial statement regarding pregnancies that are a result of rape.

However, Rolling Stone has since spoken out to clarify the remarks.

"Due to an editing error, this story originally included an incomplete quote from Justin Bieber," the magazine explained.

"The full quote, his response to whether abortions should be allowed in cases of rape, reads, 'Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason.* I don't know how that would be a reason.* I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.'"

digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a304449/rolling-stone-admits-bieber-misquote.html

[/quote]

The quote from your link is:

QUOTE, "I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that,'" UNQUOTE

How does that change the "context" from his supposedly 'pro-abstinence' comments that it's ok with him as long as you're in love? It doesn't.

Much ado about nada. :shrug:

Good for him. It must be really difficult being pro-life and famous in such a pro-“choice” celebrity culture. Also I like what he said about not being able to judge, because Jesus said we shouldnt judge. Justin managed to stick to his guns.

Why does anyone need or wish to take moral directions from a teenager famous for singing puerile songs of no musical value? If you look at what he says it's carefully worded to be so fluffy as to try and offend no-one and you can just imagine his PR people coaching him on what to avoid saying and not to take 'exreme' positions on any subject.

[quote="havana1, post:3, topic:229553"]
The quote from your link is:

QUOTE, "I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that,'" UNQUOTE

How does that change the "context" from his supposedly 'pro-abstinence' comments that it's ok with him as long as you're in love? It doesn't.

Much ado about nada. :shrug:

[/quote]

Well it changes it because he does not think in rape you should have an abortion. As for the comment you quoted, it doesn't make sense, because he wouldn't be in that position, because he is not a woman.

I'm confused about his view on abstinence, in the past that there have been a couple of interviews where he has said he would abstain till marriage. Maybe he was only saying ''as long as your in love'' so it wouldn't be too controversial? I do not know.

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:5, topic:229553"]
Why does anyone need or wish to take moral directions from a teenager famous for singing puerile songs of no musical value? If you look at what he says it's carefully worded to be so fluffy as to try and offend no-one and you can just imagine his PR people coaching him on what to avoid saying and not to take 'exreme' positions on any subject.

[/quote]

''Justin Bieber takes Rolling Stone contributing editor Vanessa Grigoriadis for a spin around Atlanta in his Range Rover.''

today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41624745/ns/today-entertainment/

I do not know if their was a PR team around. Does the Rolling Stone interview seem carefully worded? It does not sound very eloquent to me.

Scott Fischbach, who heads the pro-life group Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life, had speculated before today’s interview went public that Bieber may be pro-life because so many millennials are pro-life based on abortion’s consequences and seeing ultrasound images.

“Honest and frank talk from Justin Bieber about life issues is awesome and will hopefully encourage more young people to join the cause of life,” he told LifeNews.com. “Poll after poll show that younger people are pro-life and now Bieber joins those majority ranks. Gone are the days when pro-life artists and performers needed to hide or keep their pro-life views out of the public.”

lifenews.com/2011/02/16/justin-bieber-says-hes-pro-life-on-abortion-wait-for-sex/

Justin Bieber can influence millions of people. It is rare to hear celebrities talking about being pro life.

Bieber like all such high proflie stars has a constant PR team. Just because they are not physically sitting with him as he goes around Atlanta in his car means little. Be assurred he will have been briefed by his record company on how to protect his image which is a carefully manufactured one, designed to appeal as much as possible to all demographics. He's remarkably non-committal on nearly all the topics mentioned in that article.

Also I know he's only a teenager but when he gives vents to a statement such as this it sounds vacuous to be honest.

He isn't sure what political party he'd support if he was old enough to vote. "I'm not sure about the parties," Bieber says. "But whatever they have in Korea, that's bad." He does have a solid opinion on abortion. "I really don't believe in abortion," Bieber says. "It's like killing a baby?" How about in cases of rape? "Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."

[quote="Abyssinia, post:1, topic:229553"]

[/quote]

One of two things... either creative editing to make it seem like he was saying something he wasn't... or (more likely) editing what they perceived to be insignificant details out to cut down on how much was being printed.

Either way I think it's an unfair question to any man famous or not. I'm pro-life, however any pro-choice woman has a valid argument which he seemed to allude to... "what would YOU do?" I don't know... I'll never know. That being the case while I am pro-life I can't say that my views on it would be the same if I were a woman put into that position to have that choice I'd like to think that they would be the same... but I'll never know.

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:8, topic:229553"]
Bieber like all such high proflie stars has a constant PR team. Just because they are not physically sitting with him as he goes around Atlanta in his car means little. Be assurred he will have been briefed by his record company on how to protect his image which is a carefully manufactured one, designed to appeal as much as possible to all demographics. He's remarkably non-committal on nearly all the topics mentioned in that article.

Also I know he's only a teenager but when he gives vents to a statement such as this it sounds vacuous to be honest.

He isn't sure what political party he'd support if he was old enough to vote. "I'm not sure about the parties," Bieber says. "But whatever they have in Korea, that's bad." He does have a solid opinion on abortion. "I really don't believe in abortion," Bieber says. "It's like killing a baby?" How about in cases of rape? "Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."

[/quote]

It would of been better if he was firmer on being pro life and pro abstinence.

A facebook page was made to honor his pro life views:

facebook.com/bieberloveslife

Pro-abortion forces have already taken note of Bieber’s remarks: “Justin Bieber’s unfortunate comments reflect entrenched anti-abortion rights messaging that presents one view of morality, hereby declaring anyone with another view immoral,” said NOW Action Vice President Erin Matson, in comments quoted by Politico.

lifesitenews.com/news/pro-life-leaders-urge-support-for-justin-bieber-after-pro-life-comments

If pro choice people are against Justin Bieber, that is a sign we should support him.

This is coming from a kid who didnt know what ‘German’ was, so youll have to excuse me if i dont put much faith behind his comments. Besides, how do we know those are ‘his’ views? :shrug:

[quote="Laughing_Crow, post:11, topic:229553"]
This is coming from a kid who didnt know what 'German' was, so youll have to excuse me if i dont put much faith behind his comments. Besides, how do we know those are 'his' views? :shrug:

[/quote]

What do you mean Justin Bieber did not know what 'German' was?

Justin Bieber's views matter because has a lot of influence and nice to see a celebrity be pro life and not afraid to say it.

Amazing how a lot of adults on a catholic forum are "condemning" a young man for saying he didn't believe in abortion! He's 16 years old, come on, people! At that age, if you were a major star in a pro-choice world, would you have "come down strongly" and admitted to being prolife? I, mos' def', would not have been as decisive as Bieber at that age.

I say we support him and encourage him in his views, "accentuate the positive" as Fr Corapi says and he'll come out stronger next time. Young people (and adults for that matter) need that - not criticisms about his PR people or his music skills etcetera.

I've never really listened to his music, but I highly commend Justin Bieber for his stance.

Cheers

I don't have much knowledge of bieber other than knowing he's a pop star however, I do know a bit about how PR works and sad to say I get the feeling that HIS people wrote or approved the questions he would be asked and told him how to answer them. They wanted to create a buzz and they certainly succeeded. I honestly don't know how informed a kid at that age is but I do know that young celebs have handlers and they pretty much follow a very strict script that governs all of their behavior.

I have heard that his mother is very involved in the day to day machinery that runs his brand so it would stand to reason that they would use the R.S. interview to their advantage and not let R.S. take them for a ride. I think R.S. realized that they had been used and tried to do damage control to protect THEIR image so that they don't come off as supporting a pro-life agenda.

I do hope that this young man realizes that he can indeed influence young people and if he stays around into adulthood I hope that he uses his fame in a positive way and comes to really support issues of moral importance.

MAM

[quote="Abyssinia, post:12, topic:229553"]
What do you mean Justin Bieber did not know what 'German' was?

Justin Bieber's views matter because has a lot of influence and nice to see a celebrity be pro life and not afraid to say it.

[/quote]

He was asked if his last name was German for Basketball. His reponce was he didint know what German is.

I don't have much knowledge of bieber other than knowing he's a pop star however, I do know a bit about how PR works and sad to say I get the feeling that HIS people wrote or approved the questions he would be asked and told him how to answer them. They wanted to create a buzz and they certainly succeeded. I honestly don't know how informed a kid at that age is but I do know that young celebs have handlers and they pretty much follow a very strict script that governs all of their behavior.

I have heard that his mother is very involved in the day to day machinery that runs his brand so it would stand to reason that they would use the R.S. interview to their advantage and not let R.S. take them for a ride. I think R.S. realized that they had been used and tried to do damage control to protect THEIR image so that they don't come off as supporting a pro-life agenda.

I do hope that this young man realizes that he can indeed influence young people and if he stays around into adulthood I hope that he uses his fame in a positive way and comes to really support issues of moral importance.

MAM

Exactly my point, I dont think a lot of what he says is his own words but what he was TOLD to say by his producers or his own mother.

[quote="Laughing_Crow, post:15, topic:229553"]
He was asked if his last name was German for Basketball. His reponce was he didint know what German is.

[/quote]

“Because I thought this interviewer in NZ said ‘Jewman’ instead of ‘German’ people think I dont know what German is?” Bieber tweeted, referring to his interviewer’s thick accent.

In the clip, the interview asks him, “Bieber — sorry — is German for ‘basketball,’ true or false?” and then showed Bieber his note card when the star seemed confused by the word.

The word “basketball” in German is, in fact, “basketball” — not “Bieber.”

Bieber even linked to another clip, one which, he said, proved his familiarity with the European nation and its native tongue.

“Old interview where I count in GERMAN and translate my own name. Guess I know what German is,” he tweeted. “Guess home schooling is working out. Do your research next time b4 making a lame attempt at hating on a 16 year old.”

today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37023947/ns/today-entertainment/

youtube.com/watch?v=UXR5Jj5jAU8

Exactly my point, I dont think a lot of what he says is his own words but what he was TOLD to say by his producers or his own mother.

I do not agree. Justin Bieber has spoken in interviews before about his Christian faith, was he told to talk about his faith by his mother or his PR team too? To talk about being pro life in liberal Hollywood you would think would be a bad thing for your popularity. I do not see why his PR team would have encouraged it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.