Rollover Meals

So ladies (and gentlemen) in keeping with my frugal grocery shopping thread a while back, I wanted to ask for your favorite ways to reinvent leftovers. DH will NOT eat leftovers unless they have been converted into a new dish that doesn't bare much resemblance to the orignal :p So tell me the great ways you turn Sunday's meal into Monday's (and Tuesdays maybe!)

One thing I like to do is take leftover meatloaf (or meatballs) and mash them up for the meat for chili. Works great!

I'll cook an English cut roast and serve some of it with mashed potatoes and a veggie. You can take leftover beef and chop it in one inch size chunks and add it to some cooked potatoes and carrots, serve with brown sauce and have yourself some stew. Take the rest of the meat and chop it up, add mushrooms and gravy and stir in some sour cream to serve over noodles.....beef stroganoff!

Grilled or baked whole chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies on Sunday=Rice, chicken and (different) veggie bowl (usually served with soy sauce) on Monday.

Gary (husband) and I like to cook together, and a while ago we REALLY made a chicken strettttccchh.

We cooked a five pound hen for quite a few hours with onions, celery and carrots to make a beautiful chicken stock. We strained the stock and froze the stock as is (for future matzo ball soup, or regular chicken soup) We took the chicken which we separated from the bones and made open face chicken sandwiches with gravy (made gravy using good chicken base). We also made 5 big chicken pot pies using the chicken, onion, carrots, peas, and potatoes and froze them for future use. So we ended up with five soup lunches, and 6 dinners. The frozen pies came in so handy when visitors just "showed up" for dinner, as they often do. Just stuck them in the oven at 400F with tin foil for around an hour, and took the tin-foil off for the last 15 minutes for the crust to brown.

Chopped up meatloaf used as taco meat

Shredded pot roast in chili or tacos (leftover pork is also good in chili)

Leftover pasta sauce baked w/ pasta and lots of shredded cheese (pasta casserole)

I will second the leftover roast as tacos! Another hit is making leftover roast into a "hash" sautéing it with parboiled dice potatoes and onions and a fried egg on top. my husband really likes that.

Fried rice. Leftover meats and vegies mixed into fried rice with a few fresh ingredients too. Excellent way to use leftovers.

Gozleme. I'm not sure how prevalent this would be in US. It's a Turkish dish of handrolled and filled pastry/flatbread. You can easily make the pastry and use leftover meats in it, typically mixed with spinach and cheese. It cooks on a flat hotplate. We use a sandwich press at home with good results.

First and foremost almost anything can be turned into a soup and almost anything can be turned into a casserole.

Rice, veges and meat - Rice and veges add some cheese and cream of whatever is your choice and you have a casserole. Serve the meat with sandwiches. You can leave of the the cream of soup and still have a perfectly good casserole.

It can also be turned into a rice and vege soup. The meat can be added at the end or kept for sandwhiches.

You can do the same with pasta, mashed potatoes (no soup unless you have a great cream of potato soup recipe), baked/roasted potatoes.

My grandmother would do this with Ham! My cousins still talk about how they used to visit the Grandparents and eat ham....the entire week.

So first you bake the ham and eat it alone...

Then you can make tons of stuff with it....Ham and Bean Soup...Scalloped Potatoes and Ham...Ham Salad Sandwiches....Ham Cheesy Casserole....Ham and Cheese Omelets....you get the picture :)

[quote="MrsStephanieH, post:9, topic:247319"]
My grandmother would do this with Ham! My cousins still talk about how they used to visit the Grandparents and eat ham....the entire week.

So first you bake the ham and eat it alone...

Then you can make tons of stuff with it....Ham and Bean Soup...Scalloped Potatoes and Ham...Ham Salad Sandwiches....Ham Cheesy Casserole....Ham and Cheese Omelets....you get the picture :)

[/quote]

Sounds like the week after Easter!!! ;):D

Left-overs are great! Just please make sure you get enough protein. Two decks of cards worth each day. The carbs you can cut down on.

My left over chicken dishes are usually one of the following:
Chicken soup
Wild rice soup (add chicken or turkey)
chicken pot pie
chicken salad
shredded bbq chicken
fried rice with any left over veggies
pasta + chicke + grapes and a balamic/brown sugar seasoning (hubby hates it, but kids love it!)
chicken on a fresh salad

Leftover potatoes can be fried or used with any casserole. Same with rice.

Open face sandwiches smothered in peppers, onion, mushrooms, olives, etc and lots of cheese and then toasted would be great with a lot of different meats.

Oh one more thing...my mom did this once, and I thought she was crazy, but it actually turned out alright. She used leftover mashed potatoes, and put them in a soup.

extra chicken-
chop up and put in chicken salad…I like to add grapes too!!
chicken tacos, Enchiladas or quesadillas…my kids love quesadillas!
cubed chicken and cream cheese, salt and peper. Mix and place in a unrolled crescant roll, wrap roll around chicken mixture and bake until pastry is golden…can serve with gravy over top!

I always make extra rice and then use it in casseroles…brown ground beef ( turkey and venison work really well too!) add chopped onion, cream of mushroom soup, soy sauce and rice…put in dish, cover with shredded cheddar cheese, bake until heated through…I know it sounds like a strange combo…but it is pretty good.

I don't have many suggestions besides using left over mashed potatoes to make potato pancakes (my grandma made the best potato pancakes with left overs from the night before).

You're husband is lucky he doesn't have me for a wife! I have the same rule my mom has - "This is what's for dinner. If you don't like it, there is cereal in the pantry and milk in the fridge, or perhaps you would like to cook tomorrow?" :ehh:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.