Roman Breviary

Hello all,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I love the Liturgy of the Hours and now want to add my Latin knowledge into it.

Could someone please help me find a relatively inexpensive (under $30) Roman Breviary with Latin and English? Or, if anyone has an extra, even if it is pretty beat up, Roman breviary that fits these requirements and even just has a few of the hours (Lauds, Vespers, Compline, &c.,) I would be interested.

Let me know!

God bless!

Landon

You're not going to find a breviary for under $30, unfortunately. I just bought a set in English for $140 (all four volumes though).

Your best bet may be, for the time being, to use an online source. Here are a few I dug up (quickly):
almudi.org/Portals/0/docs/Breviario/fuentes/breviario.html
divinumofficium.com

If you are set on buying a Latin breviary, keep in mind that there will be two editions (extraordinary, and ordinary, like the Mass), and they will differ. Either way, a full set is likely to run you ~$350

There's a free app that a seminarian turned me onto: iBreviary It works on iphones and android phones. There's an option for various languages, including Latin....and it's free!! :thumbsup:

[quote="landon13, post:1, topic:335732"]
Hello all,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I love the Liturgy of the Hours and now want to add my Latin knowledge into it.

Could someone please help me find a relatively inexpensive (under $30) Roman Breviary with Latin and English? Or, if anyone has an extra, even if it is pretty beat up, Roman breviary that fits these requirements and even just has a few of the hours (Lauds, Vespers, Compline, &c.,) I would be interested.

Let me know!

God bless!

Landon

[/quote]

Are you talking about the current LOTH in Latin or the 1962 Roman Breviary in Latin? The former, AFAIK, is available in Latin only or in any of the vernaculars only (I have a Latin set and a French set), in 4 volumes. You don't have to buy it all at once, you can buy the current, or upcoming volume, then move onto the next one as you get close to that season. However I think it's out of print at the moment, you can try Amazon, I just checked and there are some used copies floating around for approx. $80 per volume. It ain't cheap.

The Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate put out an app called Breviarium Meum which is the 1962 Roman Breviary for your iPod or iPad. When I downloaded them they were free - I think since then they may have put a nominal charge on it like $0.99 but it still would be a great deal. In your settings you can set up the text to be Latin alone, or Latin with an English translation side-by-side. I have both this and iBreviary, and they're both very useful.

Normally I pray the 4-volume LOTH, but I also bought a copy of a Diurnale, a one-volume version of the 1962 Roman Breviary, from the FSSP store fraternitypublications.com/ (the one-volume is Latin only and doesn't include the office of Matins - cost $80) and I do pray it from time to time.

To be honest Landon, you're going to need more money than $30 dollars to purchase even a Liturgy of the Hours. :thumbsup: A modern Liturgy of the Hours goes for about $150.

You're going to need at least $300. You can buy a Latin-only edition from the SSPX for $299.
angeluspress.org/Roman-Breviary-2-Volume-Set-includes-USA-Propers-and-4-card-Breviary-Insert-set?filter_name=Roman%20Breviary

Or, you can buy one from Baronius Press. They sell a Latin-English edition, though clerics can only fulfill the obligation using Latin. The English is just a guide. They go for $350, though currently at the time, they are out of stock.

baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=59#tab=tab-1

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.