Roman Catholics for the Freedom to Marry

In response to a Massachusetts effort urging Catholic bishops to support homosexual marriage, Fidelis, a national Catholic advocacy organization described the group as “destructive dissidents” who should not be allowed to use the title ‘Roman Catholic’ in their identity."

The dissident group Roman Catholics for the Freedom to Marry reportedly held a press conference Thursday to condemn the decision by the Boston Archdiocese to encourage faithful Catholics to participate in the petition drive in favor of a state constitutional amendment prohibiting homosexual marriage. The group is organized as a project under the Religious Coalition for the Freedom to Marry, a coalition of groups dedicated to promotion of homosexual marriage in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Fidelis President Joseph Cella stated: “Such liberal groups should not be taken seriously by faithful Catholics who follow the teachings of the Church. The Catholic Church’s teaching on marriage pre-dates the Church itself, and cannot be changed based on the political preferences of the day.”

“These people are destructive dissidents who should not be allowed to use the title ‘Roman Catholic’ in their identity. We respectfully ask Boston Archbishop Sean O’Malley to consider ordering this group to cease all use of the term ‘Roman Catholic.’ These groups are peddling an agenda that presumes that Catholic teaching on marriage is open for change,” Cella stated.

In 2003, then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, issued a 12-page document titled “Considerations Regarding Proposals to Give Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons” which delved the Catholic Church’s teachings on homosexual marriage. Ratzinger wrote: “There are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family. Marriage is holy, while homosexual acts go against the natural moral law.”

Pope Benedict XVI spoke further on the issue of homosexual marriage in June of this year saying: “The various forms of the dissolution of matrimony today, like free unions, trial marriages and going up to pseudo-matrimonies by people of the same sex, are rather expressions of an anarchic freedom that wrongly passes for true freedom of man.”

releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=53872

The Vatican really needs to copyright the terms “Catholic” and “Roman Catholic” so that groups like the above and Catholics for Choice can’t confuse people.

The Vatican really needs to copyright the terms “Catholic” and “Roman Catholic” so that groups like the above and Catholics for Choice can’t confuse people.

I don’t think there is any confusion among the people here.

Those in the group, Roman Catholics for the Freedom to Marry are Roman Catholics and they are individuals who believe in the institution of homosexual marriage.

I don’t think anyone over the age of reason gets the idea that they are an official organ of the RCC at all.

[quote=Kielbasi]I don’t think there is any confusion among the people here.

Those in the group, Roman Catholics for the Freedom to Marry are Roman Catholics and they are individuals who believe in the institution of homosexual marriage.

I don’t think anyone over the age of reason gets the idea that they are an official organ of the RCC at all.
[/quote]

I’m not so sure, especially non-Catholics and Catholics who aren’t all that knowledgable might come to the conclusion that it’s ok to support such things as a Catholic. Remember, pretty much everyone on these forums are well versed in the faith compared to the most people.

I agree with Genesis. It is not a matter of people believing that such dissident groups are officially sanctioned by the Church; it is a matter of people believing that if an organized entity–replete with professional, educated laypeople and clergy–can take such a public position in the name of Catholicism, then perhaps there “could be merit” to their position. The best example of this strategy being used successfully is with the Church’s teaching on contraception, which was immediately and publicly rejected by many organized groups of credentialed “theologians” in 1968-69. Today, few western Catholics pay any attention at all to the Church’s teaching, and I think that one can safely say that the family unit has only suffered in the intervening years.

In other words, it is all about influence. Such dissidents may not have any impact whatsoever on the teachings of the Church, or on the Holy See, but they can and do influence many average “in the pew” type Catholics. And if they do so, it is called** scandal**, something we are called to avoid. The salvation of souls is at stake and people who help influence others away from the faith will have to answer for it.

im a RC for the freedom to marry, so long as you do what marriage is…

Is being baptized when a baby enough to be considered a Roman Catholic? If you were baptized when baby but you worship goats you are no Roman Catholic.

[quote=Kielbasi]I don’t think there is any confusion among the people here.

[/quote]

They are not Roman Catholics because they dissent from the teachings of the Church. If one does not believe in the teachings of Catholicism, how can they call themselves Catholic?

[quote=Brain]im a RC for the freedom to marry, so long as you do what marriage is…
[/quote]

Then you are not Catholic. Catholicism is what it is and part of what it is is a religion that does not support homosexual unions. If you do not believe in Catholicism, how can you call yourself Catholic?

[quote=Topher]Then you are not Catholic. Catholicism is what it is and part of what it is is a religion that does not support homosexual unions. If you do not believe in Catholicism, how can you call yourself Catholic?
[/quote]

I’m not reading that Brain is for Homosexual marriage. Maybe you read it in another thread but from the quote…
“im a RC for the freedom to marry, so long as you do what marriage is…”

Isn’t marriage in the church for Procreation?
Two men or Two women cannot procreate.

[quote=netmilsmom]I’m not reading that Brain is for Homosexual marriage. Maybe you read it in another thread but from the quote…
“im a RC for the freedom to marry, so long as you do what marriage is…”

Isn’t marriage in the church for Procreation?
Two men or Two women cannot procreate.
[/quote]

you are right. Looks like I misread. Sorry to Brain too.

It was a serous comment posted in a humorous way. Marriage is the life long bond between man and woman. therefore i say i am a catholic for the freedom to marry, you are free to marry so long as you do what marraige is (hetrosexual union, open to life, intent and understanding that this is a life commitment).

furthermore though, i do try to support and defend those aflicted with SSA. They are not evil, nor are they demonspawn just because they have a disorder. That would be like hating someone for being crippled or autstic. They are children and creations of God and are due that respect, and part of that is to help them deal with the trials of their disorder. i feel bad for them and try to help them deal with the issue when I can, BUT they rarely want my help because the advise and help i give is to help them live a normal life despite their disorder, and try to overcome their disordered desires. what they want to hear is “its OK, well change the rules so you can act like you dont have a medical/physchological condition” but that is unhealthy for them, and unwise for society, not to mention morally repulsive.

[quote=Brain]It was a serous comment posted in a humorous way. Marriage is the life long bond between man and woman. therefore i say i am a catholic for the freedom to marry, you are free to marry so long as you do what marraige is (hetrosexual union, open to life, intent and understanding that this is a life commitment).

furthermore though, i do try to support and defend those aflicted with SSA. They are not evil, nor are they demonspawn just because they have a disorder. That would be like hating someone for being crippled or autstic. They are children and creations of God and are due that respect, and part of that is to help them deal with the trials of their disorder. i feel bad for them and try to help them deal with the issue when I can, BUT they rarely want my help because the advise and help i give is to help them live a normal life despite their disorder, and try to overcome their disordered desires. what they want to hear is “its OK, well change the rules so you can act like you dont have a medical/physchological condition” but that is unhealthy for them, and unwise for society, not to mention morally repulsive.
[/quote]

Very good points. As a person who has struggled with SSA, I hate it when the world tries to tell me to “follow my heart”. I want the truth not fluff. I want to know Christ Jesus and and all of his truth. and the truth is that homosexuality is disordered and will separate us from Jesus. We must strive for chastity!

The name of this group makes as much sense as Baptists for the Freedom to Have Drunken Orgies.

[quote=pnewton]The name of this group makes as much sense as Baptists for the Freedom to Have Drunken Orgies.
[/quote]

LOL. You make a very good point.

The very title can be misleading. Having read then Cardinal Ratzinger’s brief on homosexual marriage, and his subsequent comments as Pope, there is no need to read further. That is, has been, and will be, the Church’s teaching on the subject. Should our Holy Mother Church minister to homosexuals? Absolutely. Should they be treated with the dignity and respect due any person? Again, absolutely. Marriage? It’s a lifetime commitment within the Church, for a male and female. There can be no other definition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.