Roman Missal

I have a question regarding the missal. I have seen that during Advent, Lent, and Easter; there is a set day for each weekday Mass during those times of the years. During Ordinary Time, I did not see a section for each day during Ordinary Time. Which leads me to this question. Is the Sunday ritual for that week said during weekday Mass?

Maybe I’m not understanding you right, but a variety of things are variable during Advent, Lent, and Ordinary Time alike. For instance, the Feast of St. Joseph is always on March 19, and always during Lent, but it can fall on any day of the week and would have precedence over any weekday but gives way to a Sunday.

Are you perhaps looking at a missallette, i.e. something printed just for this year? That might be the source of the confusion, but anyway the Sunday “ritual” is not used for every day of the week. Some days have feasts or solemnities, some have obligatory of optional memorials; if no feast, solemnity, or obligatory memorial falls on a Saturday it may be celebrated as an optional memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary; if nothing else is celebrated, a votive Mass may be said. All of these things will change the Mass. And if you’re asking about the readings, those are different each day also, determined by lectionary, which is on a three-year cycle for Sundays and solemnities and a two-year cycle for other weekdays.

Does this make sense?

Emphasis Added

I have a question regarding the missal. I have seen that during Advent, Lent, and Easter; there is a set day for each weekday Mass during those times of the years. During Ordinary Time, I did not see a section for each day during Ordinary Time. Which leads me to this question. Is the Sunday ritual for that week said during weekday Mass?

Yes. During ordinary time, the main page that is used for the mass is the same one that is used from the previous Sunday, unless there is a memorial, feast, or the like.

In other words, the prayers (but not the readings) from Sunday (during ordinary time) are used for the rest of the week.

Does that help?

Typically, yes–but it isn’t required.

The weekdays of Ordinal Time (if they aren’t obligatory feasts) are usually labeled as “any Mass.” Which of course does not mean literally any Mass, (a priest can’t do Christmas or Ash Wednesday) but he can use any of the Mass texts from a Sunday in Ordinal time, any votive Mass, any Mass for special needs, etc. Most priests will use the Mass of the previous Sunday, but this is no longer required. This week is the 11th of Ordinal time, so most priests will use that Sunday, but it’s perfectly acceptable to use any other Sunday of O.T. Personally, I think this comes down to nothing more than the simple fact that the ribbon to mark the page is already there. There used to be a rubric requiring the previous Sunday, but that would only apply to the Extraordinary Form today.

Thank you for all your replies. I did actually mean the Roman Missal itself, not the Lectionary. I know that both are different :D. That really cleared things up for, especially the las two posts really cleared things up for me. The only reason I’m taking a look at the Missal is because I am an altar server and set up everything for Mass on Wednesdays.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.