Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland 31 years after fleeing trial

The Guardian:

Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland 31 years after fleeing trial

For 31 years he lived as the world’s most celebrated fugitive, feted by his peers in the film industry while on the run from American police after admitting having sex with a child.

But, it was revealed today, the past has finally caught up with Roman Polanski. The film director was arrested in Switzerland on Saturday on a decades-old warrant relating to the rape of a 13-year-old girl in 1977.

The director had travelled to Switzerland to accept a lifetime achievement award at the Zurich film festival, the organisers of which expressed “great consternation and shock” at his detention.

The 76-year-old director of Rosemary’s Baby and Chinatown pleaded guilty to the assault at the time but jumped bail and fled the US the following year to avoid a lengthy jail sentence. For more than three decades he has lived in exile in Paris, refusing to return to the US even when he won an Oscar in 2002 for The Pianist.

Zurich police said he was detained at immigration in Zurich on Saturday night at the request of the US justice department and was in custody awaiting extradition.

Wow. I figured the authorities had given up on nabbing him ages ago.

Stand by for Hollywood outrage: 3, 2, 1 . . .

I hope this child rapist gets what’s coming to him; probably not he’s got money. I read [can’t find the link now] it may take thirty days for him to get extradited.

What really ticks me off is that Hollywood honored him a couple of years ago. I have other words about this guy but I’d probably get banned.

Man these Hollywood liberals have no shame.

Not judging him :smiley: (actually no need to, he admitted the rape) but I hope he spends the rest of his life in jail.

Actually, what they honored was his movie “The Pianist,” which was based on an inspiring true story from the Holocaust, and Best Actor Oscar Winner Adrien Brody, who gave a shout-out to our U.S. troops in his acceptance speech.

Actually they honor him they have praised this child rapist for years.

Its about time.

Everyone should have been so disgusted with such a vial man that giving him an award for anything he did should have been the last thing on their minds. This man admitted to raping a 13 year child.

Even more to make 'ya mad:

reuters.com/article/mediaNews/idUSLR8949520090927

So let’s see. The guy slips a qualude into a glass of champagne, gives it to a 13 year year old girl, sodomizes her in a hot tub and France describes his arrest as “incomprehensible overzealousness”

Sheesh, I think there is far more than qualudes in the stuff they are drinking over there.

What’s really interesting here is the hypocrisy. Can we PLEASE all agree that it is morally wrong to commit or cover up rape of a 13 year old?

Can we please have Hollywood shun BOTH child sex predator film directors AND predator priests? Why the double standard? Could it be the same misguided “protect our own” mentality that lead to bishops covering up priest misdeeds? Perhaps sinful human nature isn’t just limited to powerbrokers, catholic bishops and priests after all…:wink:

The saddest part is that his victim reportedly just wants this to go away. I understand dragging this up might cause hurt and embarrassment, but you’d think she’d want the world to be a safer place for her kids…

It is understandable that the victim would want this nightmare to just go away. Rape is a horrible nightmare that never ends. The real sad part is that she has never had help from those who should have helped her. Obviously the adults in her life failed her when she was a kid and now those bleeding heart liberals in hollywood help in this failure by continually awarding and honoring her rapist. I know I too would want to hid under a rock if those who thought my rapist was such a wonderful man where pounding down my down asking me why I am trying to ruin him.

Hmmmm, let me think…the nicest prison in California…oh that’s right, there aren’t any

:yyeess:

I’d put money on San Luis Obispo…I’ve had clients there…it houses lots of “non-violent” sex offenders… he may even get a private room with a view (of the sewage treatment plant, maybe, but a view, nonetheless)

I’m glad they got this nasty child molester who drugs his victims.

I can’t imagine the gall of those who call this arrest a “travesty”.

Fortunately, he had already plead guilty and absconded before formal sentencing. There really is no need to dredge anything up since all that remains is formal sentencing. The media (and French) support of this man is sickening.

As someone working in a criminal law firm there’s really no such thing as ‘all that remains is formal sentencing’.

For that sentencing to take place the court needs to consider and comment upon all the relevant circumstances of the crime - and the criminal. Which circumstances are relevant? Most of them. Meaning a lot of things can and will indeed get ‘dredged up’.

Not to mention that whether the victim chooses to participate in the process or not, people are going to continually be asking her about it and reminding her of what happened.

I am not familiar at all with California law. I was going by what happens in Texas, or at least in our courts here, where the formal sentencing occurs after the punishment phase. The prisoner and the defense have no part and there is nothing left to examine.

I also wonder if California has an additional charge that could be added of bail jumping.

Well, hollywood is populated by sextremists who think any kind of sexual expression is OK, I’m not surprised.

Polanski should have been in Denmark, they now have a Pedophile Political Party there. P-P-P - sounds like the sound of a razzberry :slight_smile:

If Polanski had simply accepted his sentence…his problems would have been over long ago. I can’t find any sympathy for him all these years later.

John

The same Reuters page has this headline, “Poland okays forcible castration for pedophiles.” I’d be ok with that too in lieu of extradition. :wink: He is a Polish citizen, afterall.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.