Romans 1: 17

Romans 1: 17
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

“The just shall live by faith”

Does that mean God will live in us because He has faithfully kept His promises?

Because there is only One Who is Just!

THANKS!

I understand it to refer to those who strive to be just, despite our imperfection in being just. It might be similar to our being called to be perfect, as our Father in Heaven is perfect. Obviously we will never be perfect (while on earth), but we can strive for it.

Consider what “faith” is. We are not simply talking about belief here, but of “faith” - trust - conviction - the very heart of our being.

One shall “live by” that which is in their heart…that which they are convinced of (convicted in).

He who lives by faith - by the conviction of Christ and all that entails - will be a just man.
Therefore…
“The just shall live by faith”.

That is what it says to me…

Peace
James

Thanks!

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 17. For the justice of God. He does not here mean that justice, by which God is just in himself, but that justice, or sanctification, which he communicates to men, and by which they are justified and sanctified. — From faith to faith. That is, by faith, and an increase in faith, inasmuch as, by increasing in faith, we advance in virtues; as it is written, (Habacuc ii. 4.) the just man liveth by faith; including the love of God, hope, and other virtues. (Witham)

Thanks!

Hebrews 11 has examples of those living by faith, none of them that I can remember were always perfect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.