Romans 15 verse 24 - Did Paul Visit Spain?

I’ve been a “Catholic” my whole life but recently I’ve started reading the bible. While reading the bible I came upon the letter of Paul to the Romans, Chapter 15 verse 24:

“I [Paul] hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain and to be sent on my way there by you, after I have enjoyed being with you for a time.” (From the New American Bible translation).

WHAT??? This sounds very exciting!!! Did Paul actually went to Spain??? I’m Mexican-American and my first language is Spanish and you guessed it, I preferred my first language. So Paul being in Spain probably meant that he spoke Spanish??? No wonder I like Paul!!! :thumbsup:

What does this verse actually mean? Did he really go to Spain or Spain is a hidden message for something else?

Thanks

We don’t know for sure. It could have been a mistranslated or incorrect name over the centuries when the book was copied by others.

Although Paul did intend to visit Spain, that does not mean he spoke Spanish, because Greek and Latin were the languages of the Roman empire at this time, and Spain was just one of its provinces. As a distinct language, Spanish would not exist for hundreds of years.

Sorry, but Spanish has been aroud before Crist. "The best way to put someone at ease is to be informed and just stick with the truth. :wink:

God bless you!

Did it exist before Latin?

Spanish did not become a separate language in its own right until about the 600-700’s. Prior to that it was dialects of Latin mixed with the existing Celtic languages. The original Iberian languages did not survive save one; Basque. If indeed Paul ever made it to what is now Spain, he would have had to have spoken Latin to get by; Koine Greek was not used inthat neck of the woods.

Σπανία Spania

Whensoever I take my journey into Spain…

I always thought that Paul had planned to go to Spain but was executed before he could go.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.