Romans

I would like to receive as much help as possible from all of you.

I would like to compile a list of a few basic terms in Romans: Law, Gospel, Justification, Righteousness and the like.

I hope for only Romans for now.

I will get it started.

Law of Spirit of life in Christ Jesus 8: 2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
**Spiritual law 7: 14 **the law is spiritual
Law of the letter 7: 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
Law of the flesh 7: 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. 8: 3 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Law of the members 7: 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 7: 5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
**Law of the mind 7: 23 **But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 7: 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. 8: 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

**Law of sin 7: 23  **But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.  7: 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.  8: 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.****

Law of God 7: 22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man 7: 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. 8: 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.``
Law of love 13: 8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. (Perfect law of liberty, James 1: 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.)

credobiblestudy.com/search/en/law/23
credobiblestudy.com/search/en/law/24
credobiblestudy.com/search/en/law/25

Wow!!!

Thanks!

I believe I took this from Vines.
3147 dikaiosis Noun
Act of pronouncing righteous, justification, acquittal

1345 dikaioma Noun

•            a. an ordinance (what God has declared right*** & righteousness required by the law [did not say which law***)*****

•            b. sentence of acquittal*****

•                            1. his grace in Christ*****

•                            2. the acceptance of Christ by faith*****

** c. righteous act **
** death of Christ**
** not character but an act**

1344 dikaioo Verb
** To deem to be right**
** a. to show to be right or righteous**
** in passive voice, to be justified Matt. 11: 19; Rom 3: 4**
** b. to declare to be righteous, to pronounce righteous**
** 1. by man of God and of man himself**
** 2. by God of man Rom. 2: 13, complete fulfillment of the law**
** Justification is presented as no condemnation**

G 3142 Adjective dikaios
**Righteous, righteously **
Signifies “just,” without partiality or prejudice

G 3142 Adverb dikaios
Righteous, Righteously
** ****Translated righteously **

G 3143 dikaiosune** **
Righteousness
** The character or quality of being right or just**
** Dikaiosune** is found in the saying(s) of the Lord
** a. of what is right or just in itself**
** b. whatever has been appointed by God to be acknowledge and obeyed by man**
** c. sum total of requirement**
** d. religious duties**

3145 dikaioma
Righteousness:
is the concrete expression of “righteousness”*****

**In the NT it is used **
(a) of “**law” in general
**b) of a force or influence impelling to action
(c) of the Mosaic Law, the “law” of Sinai
1. Mosaic Law with the definite article
2. Mosaic Law **without the article
**(d) by metonymy, of the books which contain the “law”
(1) of the Pentateuch
(2) of the Psalms
**Law of Spirit of life in Christ Jesus 8: 2: **For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
**Spiritual law 7: 14 **the law is spiritual
**Law of the letter 7: 6 **But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
**Law of the flesh 7: 25 **I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. 8: 3 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
**Law of the members 7: 23 **But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 7: 5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
**Law of the mind 7: 23 **But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 7: 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. 8: 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
**Law of sin 7: 23 **But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 7: 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. 8: 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
**Law of God 7: 22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man 7: 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. **8: 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.``
Law of love 13: 8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. (Perfect law of liberty, James 1: 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.)

Forgive me but what is the point to all of this?

In Romans St. Paul uses the word “law” in so many different ways it confused me.

In Romans 6: 14 and 6: 15 he uses law without saying which of the laws. It is really clear from the context that it is the law of sin.

My own brother misunderstands this to mean the law of Moses. Then he throws out the law of Moses and says we can do anything and still be saved.

For justification: many times I cannot discern in English which of these words are being used; is justification a noun, verb, adverb or adjective?

I am not a scholar. I need as much concrete help as I can get.

We all learn differently. I get confused easily. This kind of studying helps me to clear my vision.

Blessed Advent!

Have you looked also at Romans 2?

QNDNNDQDCE

Yes!

Please help, what am I missing?

THANKS!

Judgment by the interior Law
2: 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are just in the sight of God;
Rather, those who observe the law will be justified
Gentiles that keep law…show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts
2. 15 They show that the demands (ergon/ work) of the law are written in their hearts.

God’s Just Punishment (jcb, because of love promise)
If a person judges, judges themselves and God will judge them
God’s kindness is for repentance; don’t misuse it
He will render/pay (apodidōmi: to give from oath [Apo: from one + Didōmi: to give]

Eternal life those that seek
Wrath those the disobey
Judgment by the Interior Law (context, Moses’ law)
Just (dikaios) -those who observe/do the law will be justified (dikaioō)****
Gentiles that do the law show it is written on their heart****
God will judge hidden heart
Judgment by the Mosaic Law
If one breaks Mosaic Law one becomes uncircumcised
One is a Jew inwardly
Circumcision valuable is one does the law

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.