Rome Sweet Home

Has anyone read this book? I guess it’s the biography of a couple evangelicals and their journey from anti-Catholics to Catholics. Thought it might be a good read for someone like me, researching the Catholic Church with some issues I can’t seem to let go… I ordered it.

I wouldn’t read the book if you are a protestant because I personally think the author goes from one extreme (evangelical) to the other extreme in his conversion. Espescially if you are worried about getting a true catholic teaching without his own personal influences and opinions.

Basically I believe his own personal devotions or ways of praying are shown in the book as being ‘catholic’ or are the norm for catholics when they are really his own personal taste. It really bothered me when I first read it. Some of the things he wrote about Mary were not phrased properly and it almost gave weight to the protestant argument about ‘Catholic Mary Worship’. It took me awhile to understand that Catholics see Mary only in the context of God and that without him she is nothing, whereas I believe his writings might suggest to a non-catholic that Mary is an equal to God. He could written the same things in a much different way and it would be an accurate depiction of catholicism, but hisway it seems as if it is some obsession he has without a good explanation.

I think it is much better to take a philosophical and historical stance when reading about this stuff. Maybe if you were already catholic you would appreciate the book. If you are protestant I wouldn’t suggest reading it.

Instead read “Apologia Pro Vita Sua” By John Henry Newman.
He has a sort of dry writing style and it’s heavy, but much much more written for the outsider.

I haven’t read this book, but I understand it has helped some understand his reasons why he became Catholic. Scott Hahn is a professor of theology at Steubenville University. You can also hear some of his material at the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology.

For other conversion stories, I would recommend Patrick Madrid’s “Surprised by Truth” series. There are 3 books of people from different Christian traditions who have converted to the Catholic faith, and these give a more rounder view of the issues many converts faced based on their own backgrounds.

Happy reading!

The book is written by Scott Hahn and is just one of his writings. It is a great book and depicts his and his wife’s struggle from fundamentalism to Catholicism.

It’s a great read. Scott is probably the greatest Catholic writer today. Begin with this book. Then read all his books. He also has man many books and tapes.

Mary equal to God? Scott never ever says this and would not and as a former non Catholic could never consider this ridiculous nonsense.

No Catholic would. Mary is the Mother of Jesus; the Mother of God, and she is held in high esteem. Catholics love Mary and call her blessed as scripture said. All generations shall call me blessed. Do you call her blessed or do you think of her as just a vessel. If not for her fiat; her yes, God the Father would have had to find another way to bring salvation to the world.

As the Angel stated during the incarnation…Hail…Full of Grace…and given this title the angel would surely have been on his knees at the our blessed mothers feet. There is no salvation through Mary…she just help brings us to her Son. And for this we love her with all our hearts. She is our spiritual mother.

I read it during my conversion. It’s a wonderful book. As a former Protestant, I was wanting to see why others converted and if my reasons matched theirs. It was an excellent book for that - very factual and full of knowledge!

I really could relate to their struggles, especially Scott, having been theologically training and studied to be a Protestant minister myself.

Jesse,
I haven’t read that book but I have read other books he has written and I have read his conversion story on a website and seen it on EWTN. I love his other books so, I am thinking you should enjoy this one.

Rome, Sweet Home is a VERY personal story of the conversion of a young Presbyterian minister and his wife. He covers many of the questions we Protestants struggle with when we first get that cold chill of recognition that we have to take Catholic claims seriously. I could really identify with the thrashing against the inevitable. Scott and Kimberly’s honesty about the toll this took on their marriage is very moving. It almost separated them. Kimberly came into the Church 4 years after Scott.

This is a good book for the average reader (as most of us are) because it deals with both issues and with the personal side of conversion.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Hahn at his son’s wedding this past weekend. He is an extremely gracious and charitable man.

I have read this book and others and listened to many of his CDs. He is a wonderful Catholic theologian. Also, if you read about or listen to many convert stories, it is amazing how often his name comes up when they are discussing influences to their conversion to the faith.

I would highly recommend his books to anyone who is looking for truth.

Yes, I’ve read it and it’s a *wonderful *book. I hope you will enjoy it.

read “Apologia Pro Vita Sua” By John Henry Newman.
He has a sort of dry writing style and it’s heavy, but much much more written for the outsider.

I’ll read this one, too! Being heavy into scientific research as a career, I’ve come to prefer the dry, heavy writing style (scary). I guess it’s all about what you’re exposed to and used to.

By the way, I’m really enjoying reading more of the Church Fathers. I’ve read a little here and there in the past, but it’s fun just starting at Clement’s Epistle to the Corinthians and moving forward in time. I’m now on Justin Martyr’s Dialogue with Trypho. It’s an enjoyable read- but isn’t a quick one, that’s for sure. I can’t wait to get to Tertullian, he’s my favorite (although I’m still trying to figure out his later acceptance of Montanism…).

En Cristo,

Jesse

I read it during my conversion. It’s a wonderful book. As a former Protestant, I was wanting to see why others converted and if my reasons matched theirs. It was an excellent book for that - very factual and full of knowledge!

Same here! It was written in a very easy way to understand, and I still read it. :slight_smile:

Read it a few years back…and a few times ofter that. A really good book. I think it is a must read (my humble opinion) for all on the Journey to or (in my case back to) to Catholic Church. :thumbsup:

I loved the book, period. It was very helpful during my own conversion process: especially its exploration of the emotional side of conversion (family especially). Absolutely recommend it.

I also loved it. I had never been Protestant, but came from Mormonism and needed catechesis. “Rome Sweet Home” served as a wonderfully clear and simple primer on Catholic doctrine, even though it is presented in the form of a comparison and contrast with Scott’s former Evangelical Protestant beliefs (some of which are also held by the Mormons). And the personal aspect of Scott and Kimberly’s story is very moving.
God bless,
Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.