"Rome will lose the faith, and become the seat of the Antichrist"???

I was reading about Our Lady of La Salette, an interesting Marian Apparition I just found out about, when I read the quote in the title. I found it odd, and the quote following even odder, saying “pagan Rome will disappear”. Now, may I ask, what does it mean? Will some future Pope be corrupt? Will God hate the Church? Or does it mean a different Rome of some kind, as we (usually) interpret Revelation as meaning? Sorry for making it a little short, but this really got me thinking. Anyone here know about this? It says something about Priests “indulging” too.

Here’s a possible response. Note this response was written 10 yrs ago

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0001chap.asp

I’m with Akin: “Big deal. Tell me something I don’t already know.” His hedge too! Yes, the Bible does say that Antichrist will “set himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God” (2 Thess. 2:4). The Fathers and Doctors interpreted this two ways: the physical Temple in Jerusalem, and the spiritual Temple of God which is the Church. And according to many of our prophets both will happen.

And I also agree with Akin when he says: “What is absurd is the radical traditionalist claim that the alleged prophecy of Our Lady of La Salette may be applied to Rome today. That’s nonsense.” They twist and distort the Scriptures to mean something they don’t say. This prophecy will be fulfilled by Antichrist himself, and he is probably still at least three decades away. For before the papacy is “taken out of the way” (2 Thess. 2:7) by Antichrist, will come the Springtime for the Church, which according to our prophets, will last about three decades. And before that will come the Chastisement. Which is why Our Lady tells us: “Penance! Penance! Penance!”

As far as “pagan Rome will disappear” is concerned, this is clearly metaphorical. It hearkens back to the day when Rome was a pagan city, and the “belly of the beast”. It’s the capital city of the Beast of the Apocalypse that will “disappear”, not Rome. Because now “Rome” is the capital city of the Church of God, against which the Gates of Hell will not prevail. So I don’t see that Rome can ever “disappear”. God bless.

The secondary published “secret” seems to be a false claim which is not part of the approved apparition. Reference 1 Reference 2

I need to start browsing This Rock’s archives before I ask questions. Thanks for the link and info.

How can we trust original messages when the seers “prophesied” things that are false?

"There is another problem: Some of the prophecies contained in Melanie’s secret are demonstrably false. They’re too specific, they’re tied to the nineteenth century, and they didn’t happen.

For example, here is the main passage about the Antichrist: “In the year 1865 the abomination shall be seen in Holy Places in Convents, and then the demon shall make himself as the king of hearts. It will be about that time that Antichrist shall be born. At his birth he shall vomit b.asphemies. He shall have teeth; in a word, he shall be like an incarnate demon; he shall utter frightful screams; he shall work prodigies; and he shall feed on impure things. He shall have brothers who, though not incarnate demons like him, shall nevertheless be children of iniquity. At the age of twelve years they shall have become remarkable for valiant victories, which they shall achieve; very soon each of them will be at the head of armies. Paris shall be burned, and Marseilles shall be submerged; many great cities shall be shattered and swallowed up by earthquakes. The populace will believe that everything is lost, will see nothing but murder, and will hear only the clang of arms and sacrilegious b.asphemies.”

Well, now that we’re in the year 2000, either there is a 135-year-old guy out there somewhere—with brothers who won great battles as the heads of armies in the 1880s in a war that everyone seems to have forgotten about—or else what Melanie published as her “secret” from Our Lady of La Salette contains elements that are false.

Radical traditionalists are being duplicitous when, in an attempt to frighten people, they quote the line about Rome and the Antichrist without supplying the context that reveals that Melanie’s published version of the “secret” established for itself a timeframe that has already passed."
archive.catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0001chap.asp

Well, since there are so much falsity in this prophecy, why was the apparition approved?

Instead of Jimmy Aikin attributing evil intentions to the traditionalist who believe this prophecy, maybe they just happen to believe some parts?

In many prophecies, you have things that don’t come true and things that don’t. It’s rare to find a prophecy where everything comes true.

Why are we even looking at prophecies when THE prophecy has been fulfilled 2000 years ago? I must say, this phenomenon of apparitions seems to be unique to Roman Catholicism and only unique in the recent time period. Please correct me if I am wrong here. Why were there no such apparitions in the First Millennium? Or even in the early Second Millennium?

You’re asking the wrong person.

For me, apparitions are Catholicism 303. I’m not up to them yet. :slight_smile:

You’re asking the wrong person.

For me, apparitions are Catholicism 303. I’m not up to them yet. :slight_smile:

I’m not defending the veracity of the apparition or apparitions in general. I am disagreeing with the assertion that “radical traditionalists” have some sort of nefarious motives for believing in part of the prophecy, which in their eyes appear to be fulfilled today.

IMO, some Catholics look at some of these prophecies and apparitions the same way some Christians fallow some of the TV preachers who prodict the same things.:shrug: Most of them just confuse me. :confused:

THANK YOU! I am a bit irritated with the strange focus on apparitions. On the one hand, I am perfectly fine with praying prayers that were received from an apparition. As long as the content of the prayer is good, it doesn’t matter if somebody made it up or it was given to them. Still, I don’t know that I agree with the reasoning that many have for believing in the apparitions–“I just want to”. I also don’t like that feast days are attributed to the apparitions as it makes it seem that one has no choice but to believe in them.

That’s what’s bothering me! I came to this thread after being blasted by a rad trad and if there is so much falsity why was it approved?!

This thread started 7 years ago.

I was the 2nd poster back then. #2
unfortunately, the link I posted on that post doesn’t work anymore.
Try this, same author. catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/la-salette-sorting-fact-from-fiction

Re:*** "Rome will lose the Faith and become the seat of the Antichrist. (the topic of the thread)***

The demons of the air, together with the Antichrist, will work great wonders on the earth and in the air, and men will become ever more perverted. God will take care of His faithful servants and mend of good will; the Gospel will be preached everywhere, all peoples and all nations will have knowledge of the Truth.
"I address a pressing appeal to the earth: I call upon the true disciples of the God living and reigning in the heavens; I call upon the true imitators of Christ made man, the one true Savior of men; I call upon my children, my true devotees, those who have given themselves o me so that I may lead them to my Divine Son, those whom I bear as it were in my arms, those who have lived in my spirit; finally, I call upon the Apostles of the Latter Times, the faithful disciples of Jesus Christ who have lived in contempt of the world and of themselves, in poverty and humility, in contempt and silence, in prayer and mortification, in chastity and in union with God, in suffering, and unknown to the world. It is time for them to emerge and come enlighten the earth. Go, show yourselves to be my dear children; I am with you and in you, provided your faith is the light enlightening you in these evil times. May your zeal make your famished for the glory and honor of Jesus Christ. Do battle, children of light, you, the few who see thereby; fir the time of times, the end of ends, is at hand.
"The Church will be eclipsed, the world will be in consternation. But there are Enoch and Elias, they will preach with the power of God, and men of good will will believe in God, and many souls will be comforted; they will make great progress by virtue of the Holy Ghost and will condemn the diabolical errors of the Antichrist.
"Woe to the inhabitants of the earth. There will be bloody wars, and famines; plagues and contagious diseases; there will be frightful showers of animals; thunders which will demolish cities; earthquakes which will engulf countries; voices will be heard in the air; men will beat their heads against the walls; they will call on death, yet death will constitute their torment; blood will flow on all sides. Who could overcome, if God doesn’t shorten the time of trial? At the blood, tears and prayers of the righteous, God will relent; Enoch and Elias will be put to death; pagan Rome will disappear; the fire of Heaven will fall and consume three cities; the whole universe will be struck with terror, and many will allow themselves to be seduced because they didn’t adore the true Christ living in their midst. It is time; the sun is darkening; Faith alone will survive.
"The time is at hand; the abyss is opening. Here is the king of the kings of darkness. Here is the beast with its subjects, calling itself the savior of the world. In pride he will rise skyward to go up to Heaven; he will be stifled by the breath of St. Michael the Archangel. He will fall and the earth -which for three days will be in constant change- will open its fiery bosom; he will be plunged forever with all his followers into hell’s eternal chasms. Then water and fire will purify the earth and consume all the works of men’s pride, and everything will be renewed; God will be served and glorified
.”

One of the scariest passages in scripture IMV, is

Mt 7:
13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy,a] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 ***For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Jesus who judges the living and the dead, is telling us in advance what will happen

Before our Lord appeared the first time the Holy Spirit provided clear understanding that it was He, the Lord appearing. It is not wrong to know that He will do the same when He returns. BUT… please remember this!!! He promised to come as He left- in the Clouds, not on Earth. If anyone claims to be “the Lord” and is on Earth, he who claims so is FALSE, regardless what he does!! ( prophesy is clear on this so beware!)
mlz

Thats what Ive always wondered…if bible prophecy is so clear about this, why would so many people, including the elect, be deceived by something that does not fit the prophecy at all??

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.