Romney tops Republican poll for 2016; ahead of Clinton in election

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mitt Romney, the Republican Party’s unsuccessful presidential nominee in 2012, leads the field for the 2016 election among Republican voters, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released on Wednesday.

The former Massachusetts governor would have a slight edge over potential Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton by 45 percent to 44 percent in a general election, the poll found.

ca.news.yahoo.com/romney-tops-republican-poll-16-ahead-clinton-election-150309967.html

I would be more than happy to vote for Romney again.

I think that may be name recognition, but on the other hand so much of what Romney said would happen, did happen. The ACA is falling apart of it’s own weight, our foreign affairs are in terrible shape and the federal government is running wild. I would happily vote for him again, but I think his time is past and someone else should give it a try, sans the old guard powers that be. They have been wrong so often.

I managed to watch Romney’s speech to BYU on the BYU network. It was good and didn’t deal with politics. Of course, he met Ann there as a student.

He is an honorable man and would get the United States back on the right path though he would not be my first choice. I’m sure he is remarkably intelligent and savvy on how to get the government running better.

I’d write in my name for president before I’d vote for either one of them. I don’t trust the both of them. I may not know the first thing about running this country, but at least I’m honest and that’s more then they are. :slight_smile:

I’d write in my name for president before I’d vote for either one of them. I don’t trust the both of them. I may not know the first thing about running this country, but at least I’m honest and that’s more then they are. :slight_smile:

Romney is so prophetic the Mormon church should make him one of their apostles. He would have been a great president.

I think that may be name recognition, but on the other hand so much of what Romney said would happen, did happen. The ACA is falling apart of it’s own weight, our foreign affairs are in terrible shape and the federal government is running wild. I would happily vote for him again, but I think his time is past and someone else should give it a try, sans the old guard powers that be. They have been wrong so often.

Even I know that the Republican party will never make that mistake again.

You mean Romney? Anyone more conservative then him and you’d get the media and over half this forum calling that candidate a fascist every day during the election cycle.

45-44 is a very SLIM margin!

I voted for Romney the last election and had high hopes he would beat Barack Hussein Obama and save us from 4 more years of misery.

I would like to see a candidate that would give the republicans a margin of 51-44.

Romney is a decent man with integrity and he would be good at getting us back on the right path. I would like to see someone a little younger and maybe Romney vice president. Hope some good candidates will be available in 2 years to beat Hillary.

No kidding, 45-44 is within the noise!

The GOP needs an A teamer and IMNAAHO, and only IMNAAHO, Romney ain’t it.

ICXC NIKA.

Maybe someone like Rafael Edward “Ted” Cruz?

How is this topic Catholic? I am not American; I don’t care about American politics. Why not stick to Catholic topics in this forum?

This is world news. There is a section for Catholic news and there are many other forums related to Catholicism. Go to the Home page.

If Romney and the GOP have any sense, he will not run again: twice is more than enough. Surely there is someone else in the Party who can give Hillary a good run. And Hillary might do herself and her Party a favor by not running again either. But, of course, those who run for President nowadays have a lot of ambition which makes them think they can, almost single-handedly, save the country.

Romney was acceptable to me I guess – I preferred others but by the time I got to vote in the California primary in 2008 he was the main alternative to Mc Cain – and in 2012 I preferred him to four more years of Obama. But I agree with you.

Per the GOP’s part, the former candidate polling JUST 19 percent at this point isn’t such a ringing endorsement. With many choices at this point 81 % favor someone else.

Prior to his loss to Obama in a year when the ecomony was tanking and the GOP was coming off a big win in the 2010 midterms - Romney was tabbed partly due to his supposed pull in the northeast, Michigan where his father was a former Governor, a big bankrolll to compete and a “feel good success” in running a successful winter olympics in Utah. < This last bit was somewhat akin to George W. Bush’s helping build the Texas Rangers’ Ballpark prior to his electoral run - a warm fuzzy.

But Romney lost almost all the battleground states - and more recently his high profile support for Scott Brown in New Hampshire couldn’t help swing a close election for Senate while Republicans elsewhere were winning most of the close ones. Romneycare didn’t help him outdistance Obama either, as he did not carry his own home state after his supposed success there.

Romney would still have the biggest intact national campaign group to start with though. And might win New Hampshire again. Hillary still seems to have no real challenger so far, though I think Jerry Brown will run again.

To me Romney looks a bit like Dewey. The GOP ran Dewey again after he lost to FDR in 1944 - but Truman retained enough votes to beat him in a closer election in 1948. I don’t think Mitt will run again this time. Though headlines like this won’t discourage him.

Eight years ago the early polls were saying that Rudy Giuliani and Hillary Clinton had huge leads and were sure to be the nominees; but that the general election would be very close. Shows us how accurate the early polls are.

I do hope Romney runs.

But my motives are not pure.

Exactly. The front runners at this stage are rarely the candidates come election time.

Welcome to CAF! This is the only forum where politics is allowed to be discussed. You should be able to find a forum that does not discuss politics and discusses issues that you’re interested in. For instance there are forums on morality , spirituality , non-Catholic religions etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.