Romney's campaign brings up 'Soviet' threat

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/26/romneys-campaign-brings-up-soviet-threat/

(CNN) - On the same day Vice President Joe Biden knocked Mitt Romney for having a “Cold War mindset,” two of Romney’s national security advisers made references to threats dating back to the Soviet Union era.

The comments came in a conference call with reporters Thursday morning, ahead of Biden’s speech targeting Romney on foreign policy later in the day.

Attacking the Obama administration for “withdrawing in leading the free world,” former Navy Secretary John Lehman argued on the call that the president’s policies open the nation up to “huge new vulnerabilities.”

An example?

“We are seeing the Soviets pushing into the Arctic with no response from us. In fact the only response from us is to announce the early retirement of the last remaining ice breaker,” Lehman said.

Also, in a discussion on the new Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) with Russia, former U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for War Crimes Pierre Prosper mistakenly referred to a country that no longer exists.

“You know, Russia is another example where we give and Russia gets, and we get nothing in return,” he said. “The United States abandoned its missile defense sites in Poland and Czechoslovakia, yet Russia does nothing but obstruct us, or efforts in Iran and Syria.”

Czechoslovakia split into two countries–the Czech Republic and Slovakia–in 1993.

Neither country served as a site for the proposed U.S. missile defense system. The U.S. wanted to put part of the system in the Czech Republic, but the country’s prime minister canceled a vote in 2009 that would allow the move to take place.

Romney’s team is worried about “Soviets” and “Czechoslovakia”. OopsX2

[quote="Jerry_Miah, post:1, topic:282265"]
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/26/romneys-campaign-brings-up-soviet-threat/

Romney's team is worried about "Soviets" and "Czechoslovakia". OopsX2

[/quote]

Of his team of foreign policy experts, 17 are from George W's adminstration. I guess if you liked W's foreign policy you'll also like Romney's.

In which of the 57 states did he say this?

Were there any corpse-men who witnessed them saying this?

People is glass houses. ;)

"We are seeing the Soviets pushing into the Arctic with no response from us. In fact the only response from us is to announce the early retirement of the last remaining ice breaker," Lehman said.

Oh those naughty, naughty Russians hey. Doing things in their own nation's interest, oh the horror of it all.

The comments of Romney's advisors, coming on the heels of Biden's speech and Romney's own gaffe about Russia being America's "number one geopolitical foe," is unfortunate.

However, Lehman is correct that the US is woefully under-prepared for Arctic missions. And as the Arctic warms and economic activity increases there, there will be an increased need for such missions.

This is from a 2011 news article:

"We're not doing OK," said Lt. Cmdr. Nahshon Almandmoss as he flew the massive plane on the nine-hour flight from Kodiak to the northern border then down along the coast through the Bering Strait. "We definitely don't have the infrastructure available to operate for an extended period of time in the Arctic in the summer, much less in the winter when it's more critical for logistical purposes."

The Obama administration, like the Bush administration before it, has identified the Arctic as an area of key strategic interest. The U.S. military anticipates the Arctic will become "ice-free" for several summer weeks by 2030, possibly as early as 2013.

But the United States does not have the military and civilian resources it says it needs to successfully operate there - and there are few indications that any significant ones will be forthcoming.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/09/AR2011010903400.html

And from a 2012 news article:

The U.S. Geological Survey estimates that 13 percent of the world's undiscovered oil and 30 percent of its untapped natural gas is in the Arctic. Shipping lanes could be regularly open across the Arctic by 2030 as rising temperatures continue to melt the sea ice, according to a National Research Council analysis commissioned by the U.S. Navy last year.

Russia — one-third of which lies within the Arctic Circle — has been the most aggressive in establishing itself as the emerging region's superpower.

He said that has in turn led other Arctic countries — Norway, Denmark and Canada — to resume regional military exercises that they had abandoned or cut back on after the Soviet collapse. Even non-Arctic nations such as France have expressed interest in deploying their militaries to the Arctic.

"We have an entire ocean region that had previously been closed to the world now opening up," Huebert said. "There are numerous factors now coming together that are mutually reinforcing themselves, causing a buildup of military capabilities in the region. This is only going to increase as time goes on."

ajc.com/news/nation-world/as-ice-cap-melts-1418402.html

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:3, topic:282265"]

[/quote]

Yes they is!! :)

[quote="ellipsis2, post:2, topic:282265"]
Of his team of foreign policy experts, 17 are from George W's adminstration. I guess if you liked W's foreign policy you'll also like Romney's.

[/quote]

If you liked W's foreign policy, you must also like Obama's, because they are the same thing. Obama is George Bush's third term with regards to foreign policy.

Seems like "Hope and Change" should have been "More of the Same"

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:3, topic:282265"]

[/quote]

As a former Corpsman (corpseman, what a dolt) I could not, and still cannot, believe the incredible shallowness of this President's understanding of American history and armed forces tradition.

If you liked W's foreign policy, you must also like Obama's, because they are the same thing. Obama is George Bush's third term with regards to foreign policy.

Except, the current president did not start two wars that have cost our nation over 1 trillion. Am I disappointed that he hasn't given up on that tribal region called Afghanistan...yes. However, to call this an extension of GW is a bit over the top.

John

As a former Corpsman (corpseman, what a dolt) I could not, and still cannot, believe the incredible shallowness of this President's understanding of American history and armed forces tradition.

Scott,

I know you don't support either, but do we now replace one dolt...your word...with another?

John

[quote="oldcelt, post:9, topic:282265"]
Except, the current president did not start two wars that have cost our nation over 1 trillion. Am I disappointed that he hasn't given up on that tribal region called Afghanistan...yes. However, to call this an extension of GW is a bit over the top.

John

[/quote]

Nah, he just kept them going and added Libya on top of it with an increasing aggressive posture towards Iran. Other than that, they are COMPLETELY different. :rolleyes:

[quote="oldcelt, post:10, topic:282265"]
Scott,

I know you don't support either, but do we now replace one dolt...your word...with another?

John

[/quote]

I don't support Romney either.

I’m sorry but the posturing toward Iran is not coming from the president, nor is it new. Don’t you remember “Bomb, bomb, bomb Bomb, bomb, Iran” The same neocons who brought you Iraq are trying to sell us on Iran.

Nah, he just kept them going and added Libya on top of it with an increasing aggressive posture towards Iran. Other than that, they are COMPLETELY different.

To the best of my knowledge, our involvement in Libya put no boots on the ground. Regarding the aggressive posture toward Iran, I couldn't agree more. Israel must have something terrible on us.

John

[quote="ellipsis2, post:13, topic:282265"]
I'm sorry but the posturing toward Iran is not coming from the president, nor is it new. Don't you remember "Bomb, bomb, bomb Bomb, bomb, Iran" The same neocons who brought you Iraq are trying to sell us on Iran.

[/quote]

That was Iraq. ;)

No it was Iran. Check it out.

[quote="ellipsis2, post:16, topic:282265"]
No it was Iran. Check it out.

[/quote]

If you are referring to the Limbaugh schtick, it was Iraq.

If not, my apologies.

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:17, topic:282265"]
If you are referring to the Limbaugh schtick, it was Iraq.

If not, my apologies.

[/quote]

Go back further to McCain. Do you need video?

[quote="ellipsis2, post:13, topic:282265"]
I'm sorry but the posturing toward Iran is not coming from the president, nor is it new. Don't you remember "Bomb, bomb, bomb Bomb, bomb, Iran" The same neocons who brought you Iraq are trying to sell us on Iran.

[/quote]

I was under the impression that the current President is responsible for foreign policy. Let me guess, It's Bush's Fault (tm).

[quote="Scott_Lafrance, post:19, topic:282265"]
I was under the impression that the current President is responsible for foreign policy. Let me guess, It's Bush's Fault (tm).

[/quote]

It was Bush's people who started the aggression toward Iran. Is there a dispute?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.