Roms 10:9-10 Believe in Jesus and you are saved

How would you explain to someone that these verses do not mean that all you need to do is to believe Jesus is Lord and you will be saved?

Roms 10:9-10 “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved.”

You Can’t

I’d ask for the 100% correct definition of “one believes with the heart” - and this must be from the Bible. Do not accept any interpretations (traditions), accept only the scriptural text.

Even the demons believe, and shudder - epistle of James.

I agree that scripture passage is your best bet.

You include it as one of the many Scripture passages that speak about how we are justified and saved. The truth will include all the facets revealed in Scripture regarding the cooperation required by us in order to be saved. It will be a synthesis of the truths contained in all those passages.

Also, make a list of all the ways the NT informs us that we can lose that salvation; those truths are also needed to give a clear truthful understanding.

Nita

Hi All
Salvation is alot like a recipe. It consists of many things, Repentence, Baptism, Belief, Faith, Love, and many other things. Faith only people are just like someone who might say that you need flour to make bread, they are right, but they have left out a few things, we still need water, salt and yeast. If all you needed was to believe, the New Testament would be alot shorter.

Quote John 3:36: "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God rests upon him."
Saving belief is obedience.

This is well-stated.

I would explain it by pointing out the existence of verses like Matthew 7:21:

"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

This verse seems to imply that doing God’s will will get you to heaven, not by anything you say with your mouth nor by merely believe the fact that Jesus has been raised from the dead.

These verses do not cancel each other out, so the proper interpretation must be gained by taking the whole Gospel, not just one proof-text. As others have pointed out, salvation is a synthesis of factors, not just one pet verse or formula.

A proof-text out of context is a pretext.:rolleyes:

Isn’t it striking how many times Christ urges us to do something rather than believe something if we wish to be saved?

Notice one thing about Romans 10:9-10 and that is it never says anything about repentance. Ask that person if we need to repent to be saved? Tell them that there are a number of things one must do to be saved and to merely confessing alone isn’t the Biblical model for salvation and that salvation IS a process…

**"Salvation has many components:**1. saved by grace – Rom. 3:23,24; Titus 2:11; Eph 2:5,8

1. saved by faith – Acts 16:31; Eph. 2:8; I Peter 1:9

2. saved by confession – Rom. 10:10; I John 1:9; James 5:16

3. saved by repentance – Luke 13:3; II Cor. 7:10; II Peter 3:9

4. saved by baptism – Mark 16:16; John 3:5; I Peter 3:21

5. saved by the Holy Ghost – John 3:5; Rom. 8:9; Eph. 1:13,14

6. saved by endurance – II Tim. 2:10; James 1:12; Heb.3:6"
    apostolic.net/biblicalstudies/process.htm

As with a great many n-Cs, this is a drastically oversimplified view of salvation based upon only one verse of scripture. There is (Glory Be To God!) a great deal more scripture that applies to salvation.

Let’s look at some of the other passages that are relevant.

Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39* For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him.”

Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name.

Matthew 24:31 “When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’ 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

These are just a few that are relevant but they certainly will give him a better insight into the wide variety of passages that are.

As you can see there is more to it than he has asserted.

A couple of very good Bible studies on this topic are Sola Fide - Salvation by Faith Alone and Once Saved Always Saved both have free MP3 Bible studies Sola Fide - Salvation By Faith Alone? and Once Saved, Always Saved?

[SIGN][size=]ALERT THE MEDIA![/SIGN]
I actually agree with N-D on something.:shrug:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
[/size]

Hi CM
This shows we can find common ground. I know that I have been harsh sometimes and for that I apologize and will be more charitable in the future.

If anyone can convince me that we are not saved by faith alone and somehow our good works are in a way meritorious and not merely a symptom of our salvation I will become catholic. If there is a common denominator that can help catholics and protestants maintain friendly discussions is that no one who is a Christian will be without good works. So if you have any helpful information please feel free to let me know.

:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

[FONT=“Palatino Linotype”][size=]Matthew 24:31 “When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’ 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

There ya go…:thumbsup: [/FONT][/size]

I’d like to add to this recipe:

Remember what scripture says that the Church is the BRIDE of Christ and Christ is the BRIDEGROOM?

Ever wonder why the Holy Spirit used the MARRIAGE metaphor when it deals with Christ and the Church?

Tell me: If you are married, how do you know if your spouse is FAITHFUL?

Suppose the spouse says “I believe in you, now excuse me while I run off to this hot date I got. Don’t wait up.”

Faithful? Of course not.

Or the guy who bests his wife into a bloody pulp on a regular basis.

Faithful? Of course not.

Being a FAITHFUL Christian requires our words and actions to fit those that comprise the role of a FAITHFUL Christian.

Sure, we can say we “believe” in Christ with our heart. But do our actions (works) fit our faith? Or is our faith empty?

Are we truly FAITHFUL?

Church Militant;2474659][FONT=“Palatino Linotype”][size=]Matthew 24:31 “When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’ 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”[/size]

There ya go…:thumbsup: [/FONT]

Hi CM
While I see where you are going with this I would like to make a point. The (Works) we do should only come from our love and faith in Christ, and love for our fellow man. If someone says “I couldn’t care less about that homeless man, but I need to do something good so I can make it to Heaven” then obviesly their motives are wrong. Works are a result of our love for Christ.

If scripture itself is not sufficient to convince you that you are not saved by faith alone, what else could possibly work? :shrug:

James 2:14

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?"

Good works are not “meritorious” with regard to salvation. After a person becomes justified, then good works can “merit” reward.

Eph 2:8-10
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. "

There are many who do “good works” but if they are not through faith, and are not the good works that God has prepared before hand that we should walk in them, they are of no eternal value.

What would make you think that “symptoms of salvation” are not meritorious?

1 Peter 2:11-12

Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, 12 having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation."

The “symptoms” of our salvation glorify God, and bear witnes to Him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.